MT08P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Aogami Super Blue Steel

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

MT08P will be available for sale on Friday, 10-Dec-2010 at 1000 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com/

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $79.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:
International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About Aogami Super Blue Steel:
Aogami Super Blue steel is produced exclusively by Hitachi Metals for tools and knives. In Hitachi’s plant in the Shimane Prefecture, Japan, they use high quality iron-sand found only in this region. Shimane Prefecture sand has been used and preferred for making Japanese cutlery since ancient times. Hitachi creates and offers different grades of steels including white steels and blue steels. The steel isn’t blue or white but the designation refers to the color of the paper the raw steel is wrapped in when delivered to Hitachi. It is common practice for Japanese steels to be named and referred to; based on what colored packaging the raw steel arrives to the maker. Super Blue is the highest grade blue steel and contains up to 1-1/2% carbon for wear resistance and chrome to elevate hardness and improve edge holding and corrosion resistance. Steel smiths agree Super Blue is easier to heat-treat and work with than some steels but is more wear resistant and harder to hand grind. Classified as exotic steel by cutlery standards, it has a loyal following with custom kitchen knifemakers looking for superior cutting performance for cutting materials that are soft and sticky to rock hard or fibrous. The steel composition information can be found here, http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=3 under Hitachi Blue Super Steel.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

I AM SURE jOE WILL BE HAPPY :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

He's not the only one. :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

tonydahose wrote:I AM SURE jOE WILL BE HAPPY :)
I was going to say "quick, where's Joe???" :D
Nukemkb

Post by Nukemkb »

Can't wait! I'm looking forward to it! :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm sure gonna be happy.

Anyone who isn't is a commie who hates Mom and apple pie! :)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

so you are saying i should pick one of these up Joe? will the blade actually be blue or is referring to some sort of metalurgy or fabrication thing a majing? i am tired to read the info above, i need cliff notes :) .
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

"Blue" and "white" relate to the paper it's wrapped in. (I thought I remembered from years ago that it was a label color, but maybe it comes to the same thing?) Anyway, nothing to do with the steel. I googled "aogami super blue steel" and got some interesting reading. Lots of kitchen knives but other info and uses as well. Looks very interesting!
phaust

Post by phaust »

Super excited for this one. I'm curious what the RC will be.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Yeaaaa.........
Am in for (2)
What is the common RC again, 61?
Thanks!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
angusW

Post by angusW »

Almost missed seeing this thread. I'm in for one. Sounds interesting.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
phaust

Post by phaust »

MCM wrote:Yeaaaa.........
Am in for (2)
What is the common RC again, 61?
Thanks!
60-61 is the lowest I've ever seen it run. I'm hoping for a bit higher :D

Usually it's laminated with softer steel, sometimes differentially hardened, though, to make up for the high hardness. I didn't see anything about that in the abstract above. I hope it's not kept low because of that.

edit: Responding in another thread, I noticed Murray Carter said his should be around 63-64 RC, for what that's worth.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

so you are saying i should pick one of these up Joe? will the blade actually be blue or is referring to some sort of metalurgy or fabrication thing a majing? i am tired to read the info above, i need cliff notes.
Tony, if it's a bluish glow, I'd say for sure don't pick it up. It should look like regular steel. As far as the "blue paper" thing it's just the same as the different color codes we get on steel when it's sold by the bar.

IIRC, GIN 1 steel has something to do with silver. Like Blue number 1, 2, white number 1, 2, yellow, etc. Gin 1 is just Silver #1.

I guess it's just the way it's done to label steel coming out of the foundry.

Blue steel is alloyed to increase the wear resistance over say, white steel, which is unalloyed plain high carbon steel. It's about as highly alloyed as you can go while still keeping the great edge stability the Japanese like in their chefs knives. Edge stability in this case not being the same as wear resistance ( look at S60V, monster wear resistance, but lousy edge stability)

Here are the compositions: http://www.paragoncode.com/temp/YSS_HCC_spec.pdf

A website about Japanese type chefs knives and the steels used. You might like this one too. : http://infohost.nmt.edu/~armiller/japanese/knives.htm

It even has micrograph comparisons including steels like S90V. Cool page!
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
phaust

Post by phaust »

^That second link is awesome. Thank you, sir!
Mulefun

Post by Mulefun »

This is a carbon steel right.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

Mulefun wrote:This is a carbon steel right.
Yes- it will corrode if not cared for.

Roll on Dec 10th!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Those SEM images are terrible. I will take the Japanese money and give them much better pictures at much higher resolution on my Zeiss.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Mulefun

Post by Mulefun »

xavierdoc wrote:Yes- it will corrode if not cared for.

Roll on Dec 10th!
Any idea how fast?
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Probably about as fast at other carbon steels. I haven't had any issues with either the 52100 or the M4 mules. I love them both. Can't wait for the super blue!

Gordon
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

TazKristi wrote:MT08P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Aogami Super Blue Steel

MT08P will be available for sale on Friday, 10-Dec-2010 at 1000 (MDT)

SNIP

Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.
Is it possible to say how many will be in the MT-08P run?