Spydie custom lanyards/fobs etc.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jakemug

Spydie custom lanyards/fobs etc.

Post by Jakemug »

I'd like a little feedback on some of my creations. I know there are countless folks that make similar or much better ones on a regular basis, but each individual's seem a little different. Please PM me if you're interested in something like these for your knife.

racer88

Post by racer88 »

I see this is in two sections. Just in case... I'll repeat my noob question (from the other thread): What are lanyards for? What purpose do they serve?
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey 88,
lanyards can serve a few roles.
a lanyard can enhance deployment from the pocket if carrying a folder tip up, adding something to grab onto while pulling your blade up and out.
a lanyard can also enhance grip on a smaller folder or fixed blade while using the knife, giving added leverage to a short handle.
and last, you can add a touch of personality to any knife with a lanyard attachment.
some say a lanyard gets in the way, and on some knives they can, depending on lanyard hole placement and the type of lanyard used.
just my $.02
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Jakemug

Post by Jakemug »

racer88 wrote:I see this is in two sections. Just in case... I'll repeat my noob question (from the other thread): What are lanyards for? What purpose do they serve?
What Sharpguitarist said. Plus, I find that a lanyard on a knife that's carried loose in the pocket or in a bag (like my SAKs and Kiwi in the pictures) is much easier to locate and grab. It's just personal preference and they can by used for many other things than just knives, but, they do machine that hole in the handle for a reason!
Jakemug

Post by Jakemug »

Forgot to mention that the ones in these photos are the only ones I've ever done. Not that it matters much, but I just started this last week. Tryin' to do about 1-2 per day. So far friends and family are digging them.
Reno Sepulveda

Post by Reno Sepulveda »

I've been messing with "lanyards" a bit the last few weeks. My conclusion is their primary function is ornamental. Also, I'd consider the examples pictured above fobs rather than lanyards.

That said, I've been trying to replicate this fob that Creepo has posted. The snake knot is driving me nuts, but I have a friend that keeps losing his keys and I figure this little key fob attached to a bright yellow or orange Ladybug would make a good Christmas gift.

On the snake knot, is it necessary to join two pieces of cord even if you are just using one color?
"Think of me as a toxic mix of Wilford Brimley, Dennis Leary and Huell Houser. That’s what I do."
Reno Sepulveda :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Here's mine. Not as nice as yours but it keeps my knives safe when I go to sandy areas or areas with deep grasses. It's also a way of carrying line. I only put them on when I'm out of the city.

[img][IMG]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8677/lanyards.jpg[/img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Jake - your lanyards look really nice! One additional knot you might want to add to your arsenal is the DIAMOND or LANYARD knot (some call it the CHINESE BUTTON KNOT). You can see one on the Solo knife in my signature.

There is a good tutorial by TIAT on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVl6u5Vbagg

I've made dozens (if not hundreds) of lanyards. On knives, I tend to use them on small pocket folders for EDC. This makes them easier to fish out of my pocket. It also gives you a bit more to grab on to when the knife is small (like the Ladybug).

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Reno Sepuveda wrote:I've been messing with "lanyards" a bit the last few weeks. My conclusion is their primary function is ornamental. Also, I'd consider the examples pictured above fobs rather than lanyards.

That said, I've been trying to replicate this fob that Creepo has posted. The snake knot is driving me nuts, but I have a friend that keeps losing his keys and I figure this little key fob attached to a bright yellow or orange Ladybug would make a good Christmas gift.

On the snake knot, is it necessary to join two pieces of cord even if you are just using one color?
LOL, at first I was like "WTF WHO THE **** DARES TO POST ONE OF MY PICTURES?" then I noticed you gave credit. :p
Dude, if you're having trouble you can always ask. ;) That's what PM's are for.
To help you out with the snake knot, here is the tutorial I used originally:
link
To get a 2 colored knot you have to join 2 pieces of cord together. In my experience the best way to do this is:
1. Singe end on cord1 to prevent fraying, hollow out a small portion of cord2.
2. Stick cord1 inside cord2.
3. Use a needle and thread and go through both cords a few times, you can also wrap the string around the portion where the cords are joined.
4. Singe to make the connection portion a bit cleaner looking.

With the snake knot hiding the connection is easy as it is copletely under the wrap. :)

PM sent
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They can be helpful if you don't clip them onto your pocket...if you carry them down in your pocket and you have a lanyard hanging out, you pull that to get your knife out easier. It may be more convenient than sticking your hand down in your pocket to get it out. If i were hiking or camping i might make up something like chuck posted to clip it on my belt loop in case i drop it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jakemug

Post by Jakemug »

phillipsted wrote:Jake - your lanyards look really nice! One additional knot you might want to add to your arsenal is the DIAMOND or LANYARD knot (some call it the CHINESE BUTTON KNOT). You can see one on the Solo knife in my signature.

There is a good tutorial by TIAT on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVl6u5Vbagg

I've made dozens (if not hundreds) of lanyards. On knives, I tend to use them on small pocket folders for EDC. This makes them easier to fish out of my pocket. It also gives you a bit more to grab on to when the knife is small (like the Ladybug).

TedP
thanks, I attempted that knot for the first time yesterday. No success yet but I'll get it.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Hey guys,

I was wondering what kind of cord do you use for lanyards? I want cord that is as soft and flexible as possible. I like them for knives that sit low in the pocket. I can grab the lanyard and pull the knife out. I've make a couple of lanyards with boot lace from around the house and usually it is so stiff it stands at a 90 degree angle from my pocket. I would rather it be flexible enough to hang down on my pants. Where is a good place to get selections of cord?

Thanks,
Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Most people use 550 paracord, and if you want it "softer" then you can take the nylon braids out from the center so it leaves just the colored braided wrap outside. Doing this of course ruins the "550" part of the cord but if you're just going for lanyard function then that shouldn't matter.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

jackknifeh wrote: I was wondering what kind of cord do you use for lanyards? I want cord that is as soft and flexible as possible... Where is a good place to get selections of cord?
I concur with Evil about the 550 Paracord. This is basically a lightweight kernmantle rope originally developed for connecting parachute canopies. The "550" refers to the rated strength of the cord - there is also 450 and 650 paracord out there. You can get paracord of various qualities at your local outfitter or surplus store. Lots of places to buy it online in a wide variety of colors and qualities - but personally, I buy most of mine at Lighthound.com.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185