Do your Milies have some side to side play?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Does your Military have side to side play?

Yes
14%
No, solid as a bank's vault
86%

Total votes: 36

Frapiscide

Do your Milies have some side to side play?

Post by Frapiscide »

I've had this issue ever since I took it out of the box. Tightening it down cures it, but slows down deployment and the blade is left of center when closed. I can feel just a little bit of wiggle when held next to the Spyder Hole. When held at the tip, I can feel it moving back and forth about 1-1.5mm, though it seems more severe at the tip because of leverage.
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
JBE

Post by JBE »

Did you tighten the pivot only?

If so, here are a few other "quick fixes" that might work...

Tighten the the handle screw nearest the pivot and make sure that the other handle screws are firmly seated. Sometimes, tightening the clip screws a hair can reduce miniscule amounts of blade play.
Jason
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Never had this problem...but I did have a problem with my pivot, that the screw was really loose (like took barely any torque to turn), and I figured that's just the way it is, until one day I dropped it and it made the pivot shift so that the blade was no longer centered and the tang didn't engage properly with the lock. I tinkered for about an hour, almost ready to give up and send it to Golden, when I finally tried tightening the pivot completely, like as far as I could without risking stripping the screw (so much that it took some effort to loosen afterward), then just loosened it to the best tension. Worked like a charm, and now I have a well-centered blade which deploys easily and locks up solidly. So I don't know if it'll make a difference, but tightening it all the way worked for my pivot problem.
unit

Post by unit »

I vote YES, but I NEED TO CLARIFY. This is subjective and the scientist/machinist-apprentice in me insists that there ALWAYS is tolerance in order to have a pivot that actually pivots. Even it we are talking about a roller or ball bearing pivot...there is tolerance that will have detectable play if you are sensitive enough.

Now, to the point. If we use some standard of comparison (such as another maker) I could tell you that I have NEVER experienced a knife with zero detectable blade play...among the list of knives I have sampled are Chris Reeves, Strider, Zero Tolerance and others. I think many would agree that these other makers do a pretty good job and the terminology, "bank vault" gets tossed out a lot when discussing them...but I detect some play/tolerance in all of them...and it is NOT a bad thing...it is what it is.

I have 5 Militaries and they range from "very good" to "good" in terms of blade play. One exhibits a play/tolerance on par with the tightest knife I have sampled, and the worst example of Military I have exhibits a blade play that perhaps 90% of the observers would detect if I asked them to test it.

If you tighten the pivot tight enough, you can make most knives feel as if they have no play...and perhaps the pivot becomes very resistant to pivoting also. My observations are pertaining to knives with pivots such that I can thumb flick the blade open with no wrist input.

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you are looking for, but there is my take on the subject. In use a little blade play is of zero effect (to me) and I have never fully grasped the extreme level consternation and disdain some seem to hold for a small tolerance...though part of me really enjoys the feeling I can ONLY get in a fixed blade.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
unit

Post by unit »

Frapiscide wrote:When held at the tip, I can feel it moving back and forth about 1-1.5mm, though it seems more severe at the tip because of leverage.
Is this movement entirely due to the pivot tolerance? You may have an example that needs break-in, adjustment, or even cleaning and lube.

The reason for my question is that there is some inherent flex in both the handle, and the blade steel. I have seen very slight tolerances result in massive complaining, but come to find there was really only a VERY small fraction of movement at the tip due to tolerance, but several mm of blade flex that could be seen.

For example, the Mule (fixed blade) on my hip can be grasped and flexed at the tip and I can produce probably 3 to 5mm of deflection but because there is no "click" no one would call it blade play.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WSGwVF2Wlfg?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WSGwVF2Wlfg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

In the video it may appear that the handle is raising up...I can assure you that the butt of the knife never leaves the desk...you are seeing the flex in the blade, handle, and tang...it is not a bad thing, but it is real.

I am not suggesting that you are complaining or out of line. I just want to verify that you are not mistaking flex for sloppy tolerance. I hate to send someone on a wild goose chase with proposed fixes for tolerance when the observation is largely flex related.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I voted yes as well since there is always some, just as unit said.
Though mine is extremely minimal, it gives in a little bit but not enough for me to really care. :P
I think Mm Rock Lobster might be a tad bit tighter.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

mine have play when closed, but are rock solid open. I think this is typical of most spydies and dont know or even care if play can be taken out while closed.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

Millies can be hard to adjust the balance between free rotation, blade play and blade centering. Keep at it until a workable solution is found. The keyword here is "workable", a little blade play, or a little off-centering when closed don't impair any practical fuction, as long as the lock is tight and the blade doesn't touch the handles.
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
frontline29

Post by frontline29 »

No but my liner lock has some major spring/flex to it when I apply force to the spine of the blade. Anyone experience that? :confused:
DM11

Post by DM11 »

I voted no.
Hold Fast

David
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

Adjusting the stop pin may help as well.
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

I experience blade play, but (as mentioned above) some of it is due to flex. My Mili has a sweet spot where there is no play (at least, I can't feel the blade hitting the scales) and yet opens super smooth. This is usually achieved when I over-tighten and it works itself looser as time goes by.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't own one but i voted yes because the one at the knife shop i played with did. Every folder i pick up will show some if you jiggle the blade in the right way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David