Spydie Pictured in Wall Street Journal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Phade

Post by Phade »

npueppke wrote:I'm guessing it's a Benchmade Griptillian.
Nope
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

That there handle is good and red.....Hole not round...not even so sure there is a hole, Probably a cheap asian knock off of some sort would be my guess....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Water Bug wrote:It kind of resembles the Spyderco Snap-It Red FRN PE that was offered through A.G. Russell...

http://www.agrussell.com/spyderco-snap- ... 6SRDhhh10/

However, what appears to be the snap clip seems to be on the wrong side of the handle and facing the wrong direction.
Nope, in the WSJ photo the knife is upside down and you're looking at its left side. The SnapIt clip is on the right side, so it could be a SnapIt.
Dr. Snubnose wrote:That there handle is good and red.....Hole not round...not even so sure there is a hole, Probably a cheap asian knock off of some sort would be my guess....Doc :D
Handle looks black to me, I think the "red" area is part of they guy's hand. Probably the tip of his ring finger.

But I do agree it could be a non-Spyderco knife and that it's very hard to tell whether the hole is round, or even a hole.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Studey

Post by Studey »

Looks like one of those Remington lock-backs....Cold Steel had a model that was very similar, they had an oval-ish hole with pointed ends.
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

My guess would be a micarta Goddard...Take Care...Ed
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

Could it be a Wegner Jr.? It has a lot of belly, very strong saber grind, ONE liner, G-10 handle, ATS-34 steel.

Below, the first one from the left is a Wegner jr. The second one is a Centofante jr. with SecurLock system (double lock system), the third one is small Sebenza.

Franco

Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm surprised how much this thread took off. To me it looks oval shaped.

I think it looks black, so that would rule out the Goddard unless it's the gray one, but the goddard doesn't have the hump. The pictured knife looks like it has a hump.

This is interesting!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:I'm surprised how much this thread took off. To me it looks oval shaped.

I think it looks black, so that would rule out the Goddard unless it's the gray one, but the goddard doesn't have the hump. The pictured knife looks like it has a hump.

This is interesting!
Original Micarta Goddard Jr. has a black handle that is thick enough, a low thumb ramp, and was available in PE.

Franco G wrote:Could it be a Wegner Jr.? It has a lot of belly, very strong saber grind, ONE liner, G-10 handle, ATS-34 steel.

Below, the first one from the left is a Wegner jr. The second one is a Centofante jr. with SecurLock system (double lock system), the third one is small Sebenza.

Franco
Not a Wegner. The spine of the knife in the WSJ is straight from its highest point to the tip.
Paul
Illumination

Post by Illumination »

Donut wrote:I'm surprised how much this thread took off. To me it looks oval shaped.
Where's Waldo...

Everyone likes a good challenge... Especially when it involves their favorite collectible.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Here is my contribution, me holding my Gray Goddard in approximately the same position.

Also quoting one with a picture of the picture for less scrolling.
Phade wrote:Nope
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Deacon wrote:Original Micarta Goddard Jr. has a black handle that is thick enough, a low thumb ramp, and was available in PE.
Just don't tell me it came in VG-10, or else I'll be sold and on the look out. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
TBob

Post by TBob »

The Goddard looks pretty convincing.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Okay so how about the pivot? It looks like it sticks out pretty far from the scale and is also very wide. Might just be a cheapie.

To me the handle looks black and the hole looks round.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:Here is my contribution, me holding my Gray Goddard in approximately the same position.
That picture makes me think even more that the knife is a Goddard Jr. Compare the relationship between your Goddard's blade and your extended thumb compared with the blade and bent thumb in the original picture. It could just be perspective, but it does make the blade in the photo appear to be shorter.
Donut wrote:Just don't tell me it came in VG-10, or else I'll be sold and on the look out. :p
You're in luck GIN-1 only.
npueppke wrote:Okay so how about the pivot? It looks like it sticks out pretty far from the scale and is also very wide. Might just be a cheapie.

To me the handle looks black and the hole looks round.
Or else the big flat shiny pivot of a micarta Spyderco, and some reflections.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Enlarged pic of the knife in the WSJ photo...
Attachments
WSJ-KNIFE.jpg
WSJ-KNIFE.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Paul
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

It looks really like an oversized Ladybug.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

thats very close to the same look, still cant get past the hole looking more eye shaped than round. i tend to think its a knock off .
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
Arkan

Post by Arkan »

It looks A LOT like my Benchmade Mini-Grip 550 to be honest :) altough the handle is kinda thick...