Help Wanted...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman62

Help Wanted...

Post by Spyderman62 »

My apologies for the terrible picture. But is there any way to fix this? Any incite or suggestions into this is greatly appreciated. As this is my first post, greetings y'all!
Attachments
IMG_20101025_001430.jpg
IMG_20101025_001430.jpg (101.62 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Hello and welcome to the forums.

What a sad sight to see that.

I think the most popular answer you will get is the only "fix" is by regrinding the blade.

I think if you send it to spyderco they could do it(might be a fee)for you.

If you do not have the proper tools to do that sort of thing, I think its best for a professional to do it.

If you dont mind me asking, what happened!
Spyderman62

Post by Spyderman62 »

Thanks for the information! I definitely do not have the proper tools for such a fix. As for what happened, a friend of mine happened to pick it up and throw it into a wood door. Upon removing it, the blade snapped. Needless to say I was "unhappy" to say the least as it was broken when I returned to my room.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It seems to me, the best fix for this is your friend buying you a new knife.
:bug-red-white
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Spyderman62 wrote:Thanks for the information! I definitely do not have the proper tools for such a fix. As for what happened, a friend of mine happened to pick it up and throw it into a wood door. Upon removing it, the blade snapped. Needless to say I was "unhappy" to say the least as it was broken when I returned to my room.
Ah, friends, family and stangers do not mix well with knives.

I'd suggest you email spyderco stating if they could do a fix like that, even show them the picture.

And I agree with gbelleh
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

gbelleh wrote:It seems to me, the best fix for this is your friend buying you a new knife.
+1...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

Spyderman62 wrote:Thanks for the information! I definitely do not have the proper tools for such a fix. As for what happened, a friend of mine happened to pick it up and throw it into a wood door. Upon removing it, the blade snapped. Needless to say I was "unhappy" to say the least as it was broken when I returned to my room.
Ouch...If it was a good friend, then they'd follow the "you break it and you buy it" policy. I'd say that your friend bought a knife.
...oh you know why!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco doesn't replace blades, but I'm almost certain they'd regrind it for you. If you want to go that route the best bet, as noted, would be to call them first. Do agree that, if you're friend broke it, he should buy you a new one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

If your friend is responsible, they should already have your new knife on order for you. Then you could choose to have your current damaged knife re-tipped by Spyderco for their current fee for regrinding the tip plus return shipping. Then for your friend's birthday, you could give them a purpose built throwing knife.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

gbelleh wrote:It seems to me, the best fix for this is your friend buying you a new knife.
What he said, plus a kick in the pants! If it was mine, I'd regrind and shape it myself, but it'd be pretty short for that big handle.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Lucentdawn

Post by Lucentdawn »

Without question.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Welcome - and ouch. That looks like it might be a Paramilitary? If so, it's been discontinued, so you might want to figure things out sooner rather than later. It can be reground, but not regrown, unfortunately. :(
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Ouch! Spyderman. The same kind of thing happened to my new Mule, but it looks like a bigger chunk was taken off of your Paramilitary (as others have suspected). I know about 1/4 inch was taken off of my Mule. With yous it may be more. I don't know the para's too well.

Bottom line is the knife has to remade in some way, even if it winds up being a wharnie tip. I now own a one of a kind wharnie style Mule and actually like it :) A knife like the Para (from what others say) should not be simply discarded.

If you're a little handy and have some tools I'd suggest doing something yourself. It will be cathartic and help you feel good about the blade again. My wife took a 1/4 inch of tip off of my Mule and my therapy was making it as right as it could be myself even though I have never attempted something like it before. It was a good experience for me and I enjoy the result.

See how it goes with your friend and your own recollections of that evening.

I'll leave you with a picture of my own damaged mule.

Charlie
Attachments
damaged damascus mule.jpg
damaged damascus mule.jpg (65.31 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dbcad

and the result

Post by dbcad »

The important thing is to have a good feeling about the knife no matter which option you take. If you do it yourself you might find a knife with some really cool properties. Don't despair, try to actively make it positive :) That was about 4 hours of work with a dremel, dmt aligner stones, sharpmaker, and my own inexperience.....lololol

Charlie
Attachments
ready for duty.jpg
ready for duty.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]