what is the PE hype all about?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

not a fan of plain edge but im also not a sharpener either.

my first Spyderco was a serrated edge and have always stuck with them. the serrations always seem to keep the original edge within the teeth, atleast towards the handle they do.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

PE blades without concave curves are the easier blades to sharpen for those of us who use flat stones.

PE looks less aggressive if one needs to use the knife in public.

From a collector's standpoint, PE specimens of older, discontinued, Spydercos tend to sell for more than SE ones on the secondary market, so they're a better investment.

Personally, I think PE is better looking. More importantly, I rarely do anything where serrations would be a benefit and even those tasks can be performed adequately by a plain edged blade. On the other hand, I've developed a habit over the years of cutting certain materials by holding the knife edge up and pressing the material against the blade with my thumb. It is something I do relatively often and it does not work with a serrated blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

CE often compromises one or the other. I can see it being ok with 3.5"+ bladed knives.

PE will do most things a SE knife will with cleaner cuts. It's also more aesthetically pleasing. If extremely sharp it doesn't have many downfalls.

SE is the king for real world cutting. Most people don't use it very well (sawing vs push or 45% draw cutting) but the edge life is still insane. It also can saw when very dull where PE just becomes worthless. Also, as RIOT said they don't slip on cutting which usually is a good thing.

People ALWAYS say that PE is the maintenance winner but it's perspective. You will spend twice as much time sharpening (more intervals) and will see more material loss because of it. SE still gets dang sharp with just a little practice and Spyderco will sharpen your knife for return postage.

I'm a fan of high carbon PE cutters but SE H1 is a thing of beauty. Really any SE. I have beat the living crap out of my SE AUS8 Dragonfly and it keeps cutting. I bet I've broken down 40 boxes. :)
p3pe

PE vs SE cutting through for instance a heavy duty leather jacket

Post by p3pe »

SD: For slicing maybe a SE, for stabbing a PE?
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

People react very strongly to SE in my experience. When I was younger I carried a full SE stainless Delica, and whipped it out at an inappropriate time, nearly caused someone to panic. I believe a PE wouldn't have had the same reaction. You say yourself that the CE Military has adequate blade length to house both, I own one as well and agree, but a lot of people wouldn't even be able to carry a knife that big for EDC where they live.

Like most people here, I feel CE seems to be giving up half the knife to a purpose that isn't really needed that often, in fact the SE part may snag in materials better suited for PE cutting, which happens a lot more often in my knife use. I also feel that a good CE would have the serrations at the front and the PE towards the handle.

It seems most people first find the Spyderco serrations fascinating and logically buy CE edges. As they learn what their usage patterns are and what it takes to maintain a good and sharp SE edge, they opt for PE. Some people take the logical step of having two knives, one full SE and one full PE.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

p3pe wrote:SD: For slicing maybe a SE, for stabbing a PE?
The reigning logic is a very sharp PE is best for both. There are some exceptions to the rule but not many.
bh49

SE hype

Post by bh49 »

I used to EDS CE and SE knives, not anymore. IMHO SE is a special tool, which excels in certain kind of cutting. Once I tried to cut a small branch with my SE Delica, it wasn't much fun. PE did much better job. Also cut looks nicer. It was easier for me to brake down cardboard boxes with my PE S30V Native, than with the same SE Delica.
CE blade, which i had, was only 3" long. And 1.5" of Pe or SE is not much for anything, may be for larger blade it is better.
Also if you need you can put toothy edge (especially with S30V blades), which will do cutting somehow similar to SE and have benefits of PE.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

&quot wrote:On the other hand, I've developed a habit over the years of cutting certain materials by holding the knife edge up and pressing the material against the blade with my thumb. It is something I do relatively often and it does not work with a serrated blade.
Bad habits can't be held against serrated blades. :)
The General

Post by The General »

From my point of view, CE have the serrations in the worst possible place. The place on the knife I like to use for power cuts. So if I am going to use the knife for work on wood or similar, its greatly limiting. Then there is blade size, on most blades going CE ends up giving me not enough serrations and not enough plain edge. Quite simply its the jack of all trades, master of none.

Serrations are best on fibrous material and hold an edge longer due to the peaks protecting the valleys.

Serrations are not so useful on other materials. They do cut and can be very useful but the plain edge does more, better.

The ease of sharpening is totally irrelevant to me, as I find serrated edges very very easy to re sharpen.

Serrated edges are looked at in a very dim light in my country. The Police seem to react very poorly to serrations. There is a perception that serrations are far more deadly than plain edges. I won't go into that clap trap here.

A fully serrated Spyderco is a very very effective tool but for me its far more mission specific than a plain edge blade. A CE is uncomfortably in the middle. Having neither the major benefits of the plain nor the serrated blade. Its a compromise.

Sure, in some regards this is not a bad thing, it would make a great choice in a medical kit in my humble opinion. It gives you options. Certainly having a CE blade in play is better than nothing.

On an EDC basis though, its plain edge all the way for me. Almost all CE knives just are not big enough or long enough to give me enough of either option.
My real name is Wayne :D
gmand16

Post by gmand16 »

Yeah I understand everyone's points. I was merely curious as to why majority of people swayed towards pe blades. Perhaps I am taking for granted the fact that I can carry a military in my state. If I had a smaller blade, like on my previous delica, I would not do a ce. As of right now, I am half tempted to purchase a pe military and carry a smaller se, perhaps a cricket. Is it really necessary though? Probably not. Most likely my craving of knives which will utilize any excuse to get another one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hmm...what's all the hype about CE and SE? If you cut ropes all day i guess i could understand. To me, whatever cutting chores a serrated edge does better doesn't make up for the other 99% that a plain edge does better since a plain edge can still cut what a serrated edge cuts and it's easier to sharpen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mechnik

Post by mechnik »

Ecce (SE) Spyderco is Latin for 'Behold Spyderco'. The ancients knew the score, no doubt.
LDB

Post by LDB »

Aesthetically the SE is the coolest looking, the CE is the nicest looking and the PE is just left looking. I'd presume for all around use a PE might be most versatile overall. For a few things I'm sure a SE is way better. I'd think the CE is the jack of all trades master of none perhaps, able to do about anything but not as well as the dedicated blades.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I prefer to have a fairly conventional (read: a knife with a straight or slightly bellied cutting edge) PE style knife paired with an SE hawkbill. the combination always serves me well.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!