Really new, where to begin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LDB

Really new, where to begin

Post by LDB »

I'm new to Spyderco knives. A decade or so ago I was in a position to pick up Benchmade knives at cost and got several that appealed to me. I now own a small expediting fleet and drive wherever in the U.S. and Canada the latest emergency takes me. As I am on the road more than most people I decided to get a rescue tool and decided the Assist I is the tool I want. There are a few others I like the blade on and will gradually add them to my collection.

My question isn't which knives I should buy as I am not buying for resale or financial appreciation, I am buying only for personal appreciation so I'll buy whatever visually appeals to me. My question is where do I learn the secret handshakes and codes and etc. of Spyderco so I know what the assorted abbreviations etc. mean? I've got the easy part like bk black or orange but what about the rest? Thanks for any and all input.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

You can start with Spyderco's semi-interactive catalog.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/

You can browse through applications, blade steel, handle material, and country of origin.

Here's "Spyderco's Knife Anatomy". Here you can see the different blade shapes, handle materials, grinds, lock ups, blade coating, and pocket clips that Spyderco uses.

http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/knifeanatomy.php

As for the abbreviations, I believe only the end of the model # matters. You'll see other things like CF for carbon fiber, YL for yellow, FG for foliage green (not to be confused with flat ground), TR for trainer knives, TRW for trainer waved knives, and I see a lot of G-10 models end with a G. (not too sure about that). There are plenty more but it'll naturally come. Some look random to me and some you can make out with a little thinking.

Check their Edge-U-cation area. That's where I get most of my information.

http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/

Perhaps you'll find this video interesting too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMvaGRPdRfc?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMvaGRPdRfc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm not too sure how much you know already about knives in general, but I just took it that you just don't know much about Spyderco and maybe a few other basics that may seem obvious. Sorry if it is.

Welcome to the club and watch your wallet :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcom. I've been using this forum for about 5 months now and have been amazed at how many abreviations and acronyms are used.

EDC = Every Day Carry
SFO = Spyderco Factory Outlet
IMO = In My Opinion

There are several others that I've learned but can't think of them right now. I've learned them by how they are used in a sentence and sometimes I'll just ask. That is probably a learning experience everyone goes through. Spyderco has their Edge-U-Cation section of their catalog talking about knife terms, blade shapes, etc. Maybe they could put a section in there titled "forum acronyms". That was a joke.

I've been thinking about a rescue knife and decided the Assist is what I want because of the blunt tip so I wouldn't cut a rescuee by accident. I'm not too sure about the window breaker on a knife though. Your hand is too close to the glass being broken. You might even cut an artery in your wrist. There may be ways to break a window that will reduce this danger. In fact does anyone know a step by step way to break a car window from the outside that will reduce the chance of injuring yourself? I have a hammer in my car for breaking a window. I had to break a car window once with a crowbar and I was really suprised how tough the windows are. What really made me mad was once I got in the car there was nothing worth stealing!!! Just kidding, it was my car.

Jack
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

A few more of the top of my head (I may be wrong!):

* FFG - Full Flat Grind
* UKPK - UK Penknife (other popular models can be abbreviated - M2 for Manix 2, D4 for Delica 4, E4 for Endura 4, Mili for Military, Para for Paramilitary etc.)
* FRN - Fibre Reinforced Nylon
* MBC - Martial Blade Concepts
* IWB - Inside Waist Band (carry position)
* SS - Stainless Steel (handle material)
* CPM - Crucible Powder Metallurgy (a family of popular steels)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I have been here nearly 6 months and I still don't know the secret wink. ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The codes used in the product ID numbers, which Spyderco calls SKU numbers, are fairly straightforward. Prefix letter indicates the type of knife. Folding knives have a C prefix (which stands for ClipIt). Fixed blades use FB, and the Byrd line uses B. Letters after the model number indicate handle material, handle color, edge type, and occasionally other things. P, PS, and S indicate whether the knife has a plain, part serrated, or serrated edge. G, M, or CF indicates a G-10, micarta, or carbon fiber handle. Most of the others are color codes, in the case of the Assist OR, and BK indicate the handle color.

There are some exceptions, but the letters are generally only used when a model comes in more than one color, steel, edge type, or handle material. No real need to learn it all, since most are fairly self explanatory when seen in context and most dealers will have things set up where you're not ordering blind.

I'd imagine a lot of the other acronyms are fairly universal to all knife forums.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I have been here nearly 6 months and I still don't know the secret wink. ;)
I don't know the wink either but the secret handshake is when shaking my hand you put a $100 bill in my hand. This is truely a "secret" handshake because I seem to be the only one who knows it.

Jack
LDB

Post by LDB »

Thanks for the direction and links so far. Those are what I've been looking for.
burntrice

Post by burntrice »

A common one for the wife / girlfriend.. SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)
Bill Moran Lightweight :spyder: G10 Dragonfly :spyder: Bug :spyder: Sage III :spyder: Delica 4 FFG :spyder: Bob Terzuola :spyder: UKPK Ti :spyder: Brad Southard :spyder: Domino :spyder: Squeak
TBob

Post by TBob »

burntrice wrote:A common one for the wife / girlfriend.. SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)
Thanks for that one, Rumpole! See you at the Ol' Bailey, shall we?
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
TBob

Post by TBob »

LDB - For excellent additional information, download the print catalog from here. It has more detailed discussions of things like the steels, blade shapes, locks, and handle materials.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
LDB

Post by LDB »

Thanks for all the input. I was mainly looking for Spyderco specific information and not things like swmbo although any/all input is welcomed and that is definitely an accurate one.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

LDB wrote:Thanks for all the input. I was mainly looking for Spyderco specific information and not things like swmbo although any/all input is welcomed and that is definitely an accurate one.
One way is to use the search feature to find threads with info you want/need. FWIW, That is how i got started. Hah! Just had to throw in another acronym -for what its worth...took me a while to figure that one out...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jackknifeh wrote:I don't know the wink either but the secret handshake is when shaking my hand you put a $100 bill in my hand. This is truely a "secret" handshake because I seem to be the only one who knows it.

Jack
LMAO! I'd like to meet a whole buncha guys who show me that Jack. :D
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

A lot of them are for colors too. The one that throws me sometimes is FG for foliage green... I get that confused with FFG (full flat grind). Here are a few others:

BRG (British Racing Green)
OD (Olive Drab)

I guess some of the Spyderco/knife-specific ones are tricky but you can also search for common internet/forums abbreviations to figure out ones like YMMV (your mileage may vary), IMHO (in my honest opinion), etc.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

LDB wrote:My question is where do I learn the secret handshakes and codes and etc.
This is very good question. The topic was discussed couple time s before,
somebody even suggested to make sticky. I think that this is a good idea, but never happened.
Check these link

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29078
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I don't know what swmbo means, but you really can't go wrong with a Delica, any flavor.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Donut

Post by Donut »

Why don't you post all else you have questions with and we should be able to clarify it. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
LDB

Post by LDB »

dbcad, you must be a single guy.. swmbo.. she who must be obeyed. :)

I don't have specific questions in mind. I'm just trying to get more familiar with Spyderco specifically and the abbreviations used in the forum that are specific to knives and/or Spyderco.

I'm considering a byrd Wings G10 for an EDC to have both blade styles available as desired. Later on I'm thinking of adding the various Yellow models and the Rescue 93mm Blue and building from there.