Gayle Bradley: creeping beauty

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lev

Gayle Bradley: creeping beauty

Post by Lev »

When I first saw this knife I must say it didn't really leave an impression. But then I kept reading the threads, kept looking, and kept looking more at it and...a finer appreciation started building. Then when a friend bought one I had the chance to feel one out. Much to admire about the details on this one. It had an excellent balance to it as well. I had also originally dismissed it due to the weight, but honestly it didn't seem to be an issue when using for the few days I had it.

It's been on my mind ever since, trumped only for a short time by the red Persian. But now that the Persian is on it's way, GB is back on my mind again. I'm definitely going to snag one when back on the market.

I probably could have posted this as a reply on one of the other threads, but felt this knife deserved another thread.

It's next on my list, unless someone can tell me a good reason not to get one.

Thanks.

Lev
dbcad

Ain't it beautiful

Post by dbcad »

I don't think any here will say it's a bad value. For me it's one very classy, very useful knife. I consider it to be one of the finest folders I own. Just get it and use it. I'm sure it will last you a long time :D
Attachments
Gayle Bradley.jpg
Gayle Bradley.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
FarmerSteve

Post by FarmerSteve »

Yesterday I dropped mine and chipped the carbon fiber. Kinda ticked me off. I love this knife though. I can get it razor sharp and it seems to keep the edge quite a while. I guess I'll have to sand out the chip. I hope it works. :(
jossta

Post by jossta »

Mine is on the way now. Been looking forward to this one for a long time. Although I was like you at first. Didn't like it at all, but it grew on me the more I heard about it.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Put a drop or two of Superglue on the chip first.
FarmerSteve wrote:Yesterday I dropped mine and chipped the carbon fiber. Kinda ticked me off. I love this knife though. I can get it razor sharp and it seems to keep the edge quite a while. I guess I'll have to sand out the chip. I hope it works. :(
JimP

Post by JimP »

Lev wrote: It's next on my list, unless someone can tell me a good reason not to get one.

Lev
Easy! If you don't buy one there will be more available for ME! :D .

How does that work for you ;) .
TBob

Post by TBob »

Nice pic, dbcad.

I, too, am considering pulling the trigger on a GB. It looks like an excellent working knife. I'm debating what practical advantages it may have over a CE Endura that's now my working folder around the yard, etc.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Dude that knife is a real sleeper. I also didn't like it at first. Now I want one real bad but I want to wait until they have a more rust resistant steel. IF that thing had CPM-S30V or CPM-S90V I'd be all over it. Heck even Carpenter steel would rock. I'd be welcome to a G10 handle to keep the cost down.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Donut

Post by Donut »

David Lowry wrote:Dude that knife is a real sleeper. I also didn't like it at first. Now I want one real bad but I want to wait until they have a more rust resistant steel. IF that thing had CPM-S30V or CPM-S90V I'd be all over it. Heck even Carpenter steel would rock. I'd be welcome to a G10 handle to keep the cost down.
I had never even thought of the Bradley in XHP, that would make a pretty sweet knife!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I didn't like it till I had the pleasure of holding one. It feels great in the hand and pics don't do it justice it is a beautiful knife. I look forward to grabbing one soon.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

I am also liking this the more I see it and read about it … still, I wish there were more exaggerated choils, maybe some jimping up top … it is a graceful blade, tho … nice knife ... very nice.
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

I believe the whole point of using M4 is that's what Gayle Bradley uses in his knife competition wins.

April 5th, 2008 World Record cutting competition with M4 steel.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Errr, OK, so there is jimping up top … told you it was growing on me … :o
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

David Lowry wrote:Dude that knife is a real sleeper. I also didn't like it at first. Now I want one real bad but I want to wait until they have a more rust resistant steel. IF that thing had CPM-S30V or CPM-S90V I'd be all over it. Heck even Carpenter steel would rock. I'd be welcome to a G10 handle to keep the cost down.
Remember that this was Gayle Bradley's design, and he's a man who knows a thing or two about knives ;) or at least what he wants in a knife. :D The collaborations don't usually get mixed and matched around in the same way that in-house designs do...and I think I know enough about you to be pretty sure that you aren't going to be neglecting the care of the knife. IN any case, CPM-M4 at 64-65 cuts rings around my M2 CTS-XHP and any S30V blade I've got. Sal says there may be a smaller size coming sometime - I don't think he commented on materials, but Spyderco is a highly customer-focused company, so anything is possible? :)
Iant800

Post by Iant800 »

The only down side to the GB, is that M4 rusts like crazy, well at least mine is! (i live in a really humid climate). Even though the M4 steel rusts, it is still one of the best EDC steels in my opinion!
Go Cougs!
Ian's :spyder:'s:
Delica 4 FFG Blue
Gayle Bradely
Military
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

To me the GB just oozes quality like the Sage. A heavy duty folder with Sagelike quality and value :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]