G-10 Harpy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BDNX

G-10 Harpy

Post by BDNX »

Any chance of Spyderco releasing the Harpy in G-10 again? One of the first Spydies I remember seeing was a friend's G-10 Harpy and I'd love to have one like it...and not really a big fan of stainless. Just curious...thanks!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

BDNX wrote:Any chance of Spyderco releasing the Harpy in G-10 again? One of the first Spydies I remember seeing was a friend's G-10 Harpy and I'd love to have one like it...and not really a big fan of stainless. Just curious...thanks!
Doubt it would ever return to regular production, but would imagine a Sprint might be possible if enough interest was shown.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Yeah, sprint run would be great actually...just be glad to have it in there somewhere. :) Maybe just use a new color G-10...FG or something like that..
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

The Deacon wrote:Doubt it would ever return to regular production,
That's a shame right there. I think the G-10 version is definitely superior to the SS version, especially when it comes to grip.

As far as a sprint run goes, YES PLEASE! Blue G-10 (like the Dodo) would be great!
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey scott,
i got intrigued by the harpy and was currious about the blade, but like you, never really liked the ss handles.
i was lucky enough to trade for a g10 harpy a couple months ago, and it's a great performer.
a new sprint run would be great and i'd definately get one, but i'd say with the popularity of the spyderhawk and tasman salt, one of those would be more of a candidate for a sprint.
here's a pic of mine.

later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Oh, a Dodo Blue G-10 would look awesome on the Harpy IMO...love to see that happen..
vaa

Post by vaa »

I'd love a G-10 sprint. Part of me wants a super steel but VG-10 would help keep the cost down a bit. Plain and serrated blades. The Dodo blue would be sweet but with the orange craze that's been happening maybe they have that more readily available at the shop. I think the dark green of the Stag Arms Manix would be nice also. How about a sprint of the Merlin in brown or grey. The Merlin was what got me into Spyderco. I lost my Merlin and I miss it.
________
Iolite vaporizer review
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

vaa wrote:How about a sprint of the Merlin in brown or grey. The Merlin was what got me into Spyderco. I lost my Merlin and I miss it.
Ever consider the Tasman? Assuming you're talking about the barrel bolt clip version of the Merlin, the Tasman is the exact same knife, only in H-1.
Paul
vaa

Post by vaa »

The Deacon wrote:Ever consider the Tasman? Assuming you're talking about the barrel bolt clip version of the Merlin, the Tasman is the exact same knife, only in H-1.
I have a PE yellow tasman and I love it. I'll have to pick up a serrated one in black to more resemble my Merlin. I had one of the early ones with the integrated clip.
________
MAINE DISPENSARIES
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

G-10 Harpy is the best of the breed.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I recently picked up a CF Harpy, and I like it a lot. I'd be interested in a G-10 Harpy sprint. A blue or dark green color would be very cool.
:bug-red-white
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

Hi. I want to resurrect this thread and ask if Spyderco has any plans to re-issue the Harpy in G-10.
G-10 scales, in black, serrated VG10 blade, liners, I'd buy it. Does anyone know if this is likely in the future? Thanks.
JD Spydo

G-10 Harpy: It's time to bring it back

Post by JD Spydo »

With the successful return of the G-10 Police model I can't for the life of me understand why they don't bring back the G-10 handled HARPY.

The one I used for years got stolen over a year ago and I miss it more than just about any Spyder I've lost or got stolen.

I've even often wondered what kind of sales that a G-10 handled Spyderhawk would generate??? But as many of the Spyderville citizens as I have heard voice their sentiments about the G-10 Harpy you would think it would be a "slam dunk winner" on the sales charts.

I think that the Superhawk could even make a big selling comeback with a G-10 handle. I'm not at all saying to do away with the Harpy with the stainless handle because some jobs you could do all right with it. But when you need the extra grip factor the G-10 Harpy gives you everything you need
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I've always wanted a G-10 Harpy. I'd buy a sprint release for sure. From my experience, someone just needs to beat the drum enough and Sal may chime in at some point and tell us if it will happen. A survey is always a good way to start.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I'll help beat the drum. I love my Tasman and have never used a g10 harpy. I'd be down for one stainless doesn't excite me. G10 please !!!
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

Does this thread count as a survey, or is there something specific that we need to do to get one going?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I to would er uh would like to er ah extend my fondness for that particular type of knife. G10 harpy I'm talking about.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

CanadaDude wrote:Does this thread count as a survey, or is there something specific that we need to do to get one going?
Well, this thread was started three years ago, then lay dormant for nearly that long with only a hand full of people voicing interest. There are generally only two ways a knife gets resurrected, either Spyderco sees there's sufficient interest for a Sprint, or some dealer, distributor, or other entity sponsors an Exclusive. To be honest, there don't seem to be all that many people interested. I'm also guessing that, like me, some would only be interested if it had specific features. In my case, that would mean a plain edged blade.
Paul
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

Hello Deacon. Your answer is probably the definitive one, but I still hold out hope for a G-10 re-issue in the future. It has been a decade and a half since it was available, and perhaps the market demand is now there for a sprint run.
Until then, perhaps the best choice for a light grippy hawkbill would be something in FRN.
Lil Matriarch, Byrd Hawkbill, or Tasman Salt, any opinions?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

CanadaDude wrote:Hello Deacon. Your answer is probably the definitive one, but I still hold out hope for a G-10 re-issue in the future. It has been a decade and a half since it was available, and perhaps the market demand is now there for a sprint run.
Until then, perhaps the best choice for a light grippy hawkbill would be something in FRN.
Lil Matriarch, Byrd Hawkbill, or Tasman Salt, any opinions?
I've got just about all those that you've mentioned and I can tell you that none of them equal the bulk and rigidity of the Harpy model. And it's just a lot better yet with a G-10 handle. Deacon does make a point about the thread being old but over the years I've personally talked to a lot of folks that would very much want to see the Harpy return with a G-10 handle. But again I won't stop there because I would also like to see the Spyderhawk and Superhawk both with G-10 handles being offered at some point.

Also keep in mind whenever they do show up on an auction site like Ebay or one of the Forums that allow you to sell or trade the G-10 Harpy always commands a very high price or a big trade item to complete the deal. So that to me shows me there are folks out there that love the G-10 Harpy. With the newer type of G-10 material like they put in my Sprint C-60 Ayoob model and with a better steel like VG-10 I'm sure that it would be a very attractive addition for Spyderco.

The biggest problem I see that might hinder sales is that few knife users are aware of how good they are in pull cutting jobs and cutting chores that require a lot of leverage. I do hope at some point we will see it return. JD Spydo
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!