Delica/ Endura V - What improvements/changes would you like to see?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vba

Post by vba »

Again, late to this thread. But I like the Endura/Delica the way it is.

1. Like the steel liners, this knife is almost too handle light already.
2. Like the choice of FFG and sabre grind, but a higher FFG>sabre could be a good compromise.
3. Like the lack of choil
4. Like the handle shape, could be a touch wider in back, if they could put a glass breaker on the end it would be perfect.

The sabre ground Endura is my favorite between it and FFG. It is one rugged lightweight package. And that tip can take a beating.

Vin
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I wouldn't change a thing. You can only refine something so much and I feel that The E4 has reached the pinnacle of what an Endura should be. Sure, some folks have little things they want to change here and there, but retooling for an entire line just to add a choil or widen the back end will probably be cost prohibitive.

It seems like there are plenty other Spydies to fine-tune anwyays.
My :spyder:'s: Tan M4 Manix!, P'kal, Rock Salt, Pink Endura CE, Orange Moran, USN Endura, Bug, Honeybee, FRN Cricket.
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

please no choil on the endura or delica. the police has already been ruined. i feel a choil puts your hand too near the blade and limits your hand holds. please dont listen sal.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just hope they don't do away with saber grinds. I think the main thing i'd like to see is a deeper carry clip. After breaking my clip and playing around with making my own..i found that my custom deep carry clip is so nice that i haven't bothered ordering a replacement for the broken one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I say keep the clip, we have enough models with wire clips. The Delica is a workhorse of a knife and needs a 'real' clip on it :D .
awlriteeden

Post by awlriteeden »

Bill1170 wrote:The advantages of the ricasso on the D4/E4 should be considered before discarding it.

First, it is a safety feature when closing the knife one-handed. The ricasso bumps into the first finger rather than the edge. Compare this with the Tenacious which functions as a cigar cutter when closed onto the first finger.

Second, the ricasso makes sharpening easy because you can reach the whole edge without abrading the handle. This is especially important when using powered methods.

In the absence of metal liners, what would be the best way to implement the 4-way clip mounting? There must be alternate ways, but the liners do this function neatly at the same time that they stiffen the handle.
I agree completely. The ricasso (or choil on other models) is one of the features I really appreciate on most Spydercos. My tastes shifted away from Benchmade because most of their models prioritize cutting edge over ergonomics.

Ironically that was why I preferred Benchmade's offerings initially, as I thought a longer blade looked better. However, actual use and experience made me realize that a shorter blade and full-sized handle worked better with hard-use, as opposed to carving newsprint or other odd afi hobbies. :D

The current design of the Endura/Delica ricasso works just fine as a choil, and in strong pulling cuts can serve as a better anchor point for the index finger than a dedicated choil without a prominent finger guard (e.g. Para/Millie). An exception to this would be the Manix, which has both a choil and a prominent finger guard.

reply /off :)

Lots of recommendations to make FFG standard, but I think this should remain an option. The standard saber grind has the advantage of performing comparably to a thicker FFG blade (e.g. Para), but the saber grind is less prone to binding in thick and stiff materials such as corrugated cardboard. I believe this is due to the smaller "ramp" distance formed by the grind and less drag caused by the trailing spine edge against the material being cut.

The liners should remain the way they are. Eliminating them completely or reducing them to partial liners on the four corners to anchor the clip screws would transfer the tension/stress of the lockbar and pivot pins back to the FRN material. In my experience with linerless FRN Spydies, this causes the FRN material around the lockbar pivot to peen over time, causing the boye-detent-side of the lockbar to sit higher.

I really like the D4/E4 as-is. Very functional, practical and well thought-out with no frills to detract from its intended-use. Any changes should only augment these traits. There are plenty of models catered to afis that offer many of the suggested upgrades. The Stretch comes to mind as a budget afi knife.

I have one, and only one suggestion:

Apply some kind of thread sealant or compound that prevents the screws from working loose due to the midlock's strong snap, that doesn't have to be reapplied every time the screws are adjusted. The pivot screw on my Paramilitary seems to have something that does this.

At present the D4/E4 don't seem to come with any kind of thread sealant from the factory. This shouldn't be the case for a utilitarian hard-use folder not geared towards Spyderco's afi customer base.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

While I don't believe in taking knives apart, I think "Gen 5" versions of any Spyderco model need to address the reality that most people assume screw construction means they should be able disassemble the knife and reassemble it easily and correctly, even if they have two left hands with 5 thumbs each.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
THG

Post by THG »

Bill1170 wrote:Second, the ricasso makes sharpening easy because you can reach the whole edge without abrading the handle. This is especially important when using powered methods.
I would agree with that if Spyderco could get it right. None of my Spydercos are ever completely ground at the kick of the ricasso; there is always a thick spot left unsharpened that's a pain in the *** to get out.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would like to shorten the Ricasso a little bit, and make the end of the blade go further towards the end of the handle. It seems to fit my hand well, if you can squeeze another 1/8" cutting edge in there, the more the merrier. :)

4mm and a higher saber grind are nice dreams.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
razorbacks611

Post by razorbacks611 »

ffg delica with a choil=caly 3
i say keep the handle the same, just make the blade ffg with a more pointy tip.
JabFynger

Post by JabFynger »

+1 for a deep carry clip. Not necessarily a wire clip, just a "no show" type thing would be an awesome addition to an already near perfect design.
"You could have opened that with your hands." "Ya, but this knife cost me $60...the hands were free.":spyder:
bawb

Post by bawb »

the only thing i would like to see is more steel choices with ffg
greenfly

Post by greenfly »

Low ride clip :D
mrrampro

Post by mrrampro »

I personally never choke up that far on my delicas or enduras and like the finger guard it has. I would change the pocket clip coating to something more durable. Overall I am happy with the knives.
:spyder:'s
Police SS, 2 x Endura, 2 x Delica, Sage 3, Caly 3.5,
2 x Tenacious, Persistance, Ladybug H-1, Salt 1,
J.D. Smith, Centefonte 3, 3 x Cara Cara, Robin SS
And my fav the Para 2!!!!!!!!
Simper Fi
itora

Post by itora »

Put on a low rider clip ala Sage or Caly 3. That would be perfect for me.