MT07P – Mule Team Fixed Blade featuring Damascus/VG-10

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

MT07P will be available for sale on Friday, 1-Oct-2010 at 1000 (MST)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $84.95 each

Domestic Shipping: Standard Shipping rates apply.

International Shipping:
International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $35
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $50

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About the Damascus/VG-10:
Spyderco’s Damascus Mule Team is a laminated fifteen-layer steel with a Suminagashi pattern. The Damascus Mule’s steel is composed of layers of erosive and non-erosive material over a VG-10 core center. The erosive layers are hard martensite stainless steel and the non-erosive layers are anti-corrosion nonferrous metal. These layers block carbon particles in the core from spreading to the outer layers. After layering the blade is forged to intentionally distort the layer-lines making a complicated, artistically beautiful pattern called Suminagashi. Suminagashi is the traditional Japanese art form of creating ripples of Chinese ink on the surface of water. This steel mimics the art form with interesting results on a knife blade. Once the layers are distorted, the blade is bathed in acid etching the pattern to vivid relief.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
Attachments
MT07_L.jpg
MT07_L.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
There is nothing more important than this one day.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

In for 2!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Woot woot!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Wow - love the look of that but I wish it was a SLIPIT ... I can't justify a fixed-blade right now.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'll be on an all day bicycle trip that day, but with the limit hope to pick up two that evening.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

Can't wait! Screaming for some exotic handles.
Niles

Post by Niles »

Where will I be on 10/1/2010 at 1000? On the phone with Spyderco!
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

WOW! That blade is screaming for Damascus-like scales. Does anyone have any suggestions for materials?

Thanks,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

Put me down for one for sure.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
mattman

Post by mattman »

too bad. Not allowed in NY...Love it!!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

... and then you will say, "I just gotta get me some of that."
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Cool. :cool:

This may sound odd, but what I'm actually looking forward to about this one is not the damascus but the VG-10. I've really wanted a Mule in 154CM, VG-10 or something similar to use as a reference for the super-steel Mules.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mattman wrote:too bad. Not allowed in NY...Love it!!
:confused: Legal to own anywhere in the state. Should be legal to carry as well, even in NYC, as long as it's carried discreetly since the blade is under 4" and there's no way even Mr. Vance's twisted logic could call it a gravity knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

So if carbon particles cannot spread to the outer layers, does that make the knife essentially rust-proof except for the VG-10 cutting edge?
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

mattman wrote:too bad. Not allowed in NY...Love it!!
As the Deacon said (you beat me to it), totally legal to carry in NY.

I carry and use my BD-1 Mule all the time.

Looking forward to a new project with the Damascus blade. Whoopie!!!!
Spyderco C60P Massad Ayoob avatar courtesy of Dialex.
mattman

Post by mattman »

The Deacon wrote: :confused: Legal to own anywhere in the state. Should be legal to carry as well, even in NYC, as long as it's carried discreetly since the blade is under 4" and there's no way even Mr. Vance's twisted logic could call it a gravity knife.
SFO won't ship anything but SlipIts and sharpeners to NY (the WHOLE state) while this debacle is proceeding...

Gonna have to jump through some hoops to get one of these...(will be my first Mule, so a lil adventure story to go with it right from the start might not be a bad thing...)

Edited to add: Thanks guys...should have worded that first post a little better!!
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Looks good. Thanks for the heads up.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

Niles wrote:Where will I be on 10/1/2010 at 1000? On the phone with Spyderco!
mee too! :)
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

im new to mule pricing- i never really liked fixed spydies...
is that a good price for it? 85 bux?

also will the style on the blade be unique?
and does anyone know what the total number made is?
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

mattman wrote:SFO won't ship anything but SlipIts and sharpeners to NY (the WHOLE state) while this debacle is proceeding...
Regarding shipping to NY state:
sal wrote:The other 54,000 square miles are permitted to get our other stuff.
http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=38

However, this does seem contrary to what the site says.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~