Hoarding - discuss

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

The Deacon wrote:Don't know how it is elsewhere, but America is a funny place. We value capitalism but detest profiteers and the line between the two is often very blurry.
Sad but true!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I'm a collector.... :p Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

SteelDragon wrote:This thread needs some hoarding pics :eek:
My problem is that I do IT work on systems of all ages, as well as jobs of all sizes. So I keep a LOT of parts. Worst part is cables though. Think I need to get rid of anything under 6' and put ends on em all.
Just ordered a 25' DB9 extension M-F cable.

~350 dvd's & ~700 books (have to count again), I'm not looking forward to having to move it all.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like to collect a variety of things, but I don't consider myself a hoarder. I don't generally keep multiples, and I do use almost everything I have. But I tend to use the nice ones gently. I generally don't buy things to flip for profit, and I only buy things I really like. And I pretty much always reach a point where enough is enough and slow way down on the acquisitions.

I almost have all my "grail" Spydercos, so I'll mostly be buying new releases and sprints I like from now on.
:bug-red-white
cckw

Post by cckw »

In his last couple of year my dad would not throw away milk jugs. he neatly tied them in bales and stored them in the attic. That is hoarding.

Buying knives is collecting and investing. Unlike your wifes shoes your knives will hold value.
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

gbelleh wrote:I like to collect a variety of things, but I don't consider myself a hoarder. I don't generally keep multiples, and I do use almost everything I have. But I tend to use the nice ones gently. I generally don't buy things to flip for profit, and I only buy things I really like. And I pretty much always reach a point where enough is enough and slow way down on the acquisitions.

I almost have all my "grail" Spydercos, so I'll mostly be buying new releases and sprints I like from now on.

I pretty much have the same modus operandi as you gbelleh. I use most everything I collect and just make sure to use the nicer ones gently. Recently I slowed down on my flashlight collecting and started up with knives. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near having all my "grail" Spydies. ;)
markg

Post by markg »

It is contextual in a sense...

If you like a knife, and you buy a lot of them over time, for use or collecting, I don't think anyone has an issue with that.

Now if we are taking about buying significant quantities of a limited product for immediate resale for profit, then everyone is going to think you are a jerk. Is it fair to buy up all the knifes for profit? Yes it is capitalism, and fairness is frankly an irrelevant concept within this framework. However you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to "hoard" don't expect those who got left out to look at you like a boy scout.

Then there is a related issue... I propose that in the end, immediate resale for profit is BAD for collectors... Case in point.

A few years ago, a competitor of Spyderco introduced a "gold class" of knives. Highly embellished, and very limited runs of certain knives. Most dealers honored the standard mark up for the knifes. However folks started reselling immediately for higher profits. Then some sellers just went straight to eBay and sold them for much higher than MSRP. Most other dealers went straight to MSRP. This inflated prices. You might say "well that is supply and demand." The issue now becomes, if you bought the knifes for a collection with the expectation they will appreciate in value, more than likely you will now see less profit on resale. When it comes to investing, buy low sell high. Sorry folks you just bought "high" right off the bat.

Now, if you want to say it is fair for people to hoard and resell for immediate profit, then don't get on dealers who go to eBay. What happens is the dealers get miffed when they sell a knife for a fair price then see them for sale by private owners for double the price on auction sites. It has happened with other manufactures, and it is now happening with the sprints, can you blame them?

These knives are discretionary items, there is nothing moral or immoral about how they are priced and sold. However it is the knife user who gets screwed. I also suggest it limits the gains of collectors. A general rule of thumb is any knife you buy at MSRP or higher is a risk to not appreciate in value significantly, and any gains will be significantly less then if you bought it at at standard markup or better yet, at closeout pricing.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i hoard so i can continue the cycle..
2 or 3 of every sprint no matter what. then wait 6 montsh then sell for 1/3 or 1/2 more and reinvest in more new spydies. thats the secret to NEVER missing a "sprint means you must buy it rigth now!" <--which i agree btw

SteelDragon wrote:This thread needs some hoarding pics
the first 70 are copies. 2 or 3 manix cf, pink, s90v or 2 or 3 red persians or 3 s90v/bg42 mili or matriarch or balance or whatever limited or sprint that came out i bought.
a few months from now i will sell a red persian for more than a i got for it and take the proceeds and buy a new sprint para cf or grey para...get it? whats wrong with that
i keep safe queens and users in glass or in my billards room
Attachments
spy 094.jpg
spy 094.jpg (100.34 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
spy 093.jpg
spy 093.jpg (97.64 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
Markous

Post by Markous »

Here is a couple of my Millie hoard that i accumulated over the past year :eek:

Sadly :( unemployment over the last 5 months has moved them all on to new homes.

Even the ones in my Millie wheel have all moved on, all i have is a PPT that i won to remember them by.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
440V, ATS-34, S30V, BG42, S90V, D2 & M4 :D A few of my favorite things
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

vampyrewolf wrote:My problem is that I do IT work on systems of all ages, as well as jobs of all sizes. So I keep a LOT of parts. Worst part is cables though. Think I need to get rid of anything under 6' and put ends on em all.... I'm not looking forward to having to move it all.
I feel your pain. I used to sell excess computer parts. When we built a new house we had to put a lot of stuff in (paid) storage for about 9 months. It included box after box of cables, cards, drives, optical jukeboxes etc. About a month after moving into the new place I took an entire pickup load to the dump. :( It was cool stuff but out of date; worse, it only encouraged folks to keep decrepit hardware that should heave replaced years ago.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I think perhaps part of the problem is that horde and hoard sound very much alike. However, they are totally unrelated and it's only a coincidence that they can both refer to a large amount of something. So, while some of us may have a horde of Spydercos, or even a horde of one particular model, we don't feel we are hoarding them. ;) :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

The spydies I use I have doubles of so that I can hoard them away with my nonusers. They're in a display case. I guess part of it is keeping them the way they were when I got them and keeping the enjoyment that I had when I first got them.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Pinetreebbs wrote:I feel your pain. I used to sell excess computer parts. When we built a new house we had to put a lot of stuff in (paid) storage for about 9 months. It included box after box of cables, cards, drives, optical jukeboxes etc. About a month after moving into the new place I took an entire pickup load to the dump. :( It was cool stuff but out of date; worse, it only encouraged folks to keep decrepit hardware that should heave replaced years ago.
nothing wrong with "decrepit" hardware... I have a functional 233mhz p3 laptop (192mb of ram, win98se, 7gb HD, cd, floppy, serial and parallel), the mouse on my servers is a serial glidepad (have 3-4 more serial mice), and I love my old compaq keyboard (cherry brown switches, just trying to remember the model #).
The problem is that you usually have to get 3-4 older systems to get 1 working. I've got a stack of 5-6 older laptops sitting there still, figure I have enough to get 2 working though I'm still going to need to make power supplies for em.

When I move I'm only taking what fits in my truck for the first while, then getting the rest moved in a few months. When I'm boxing it all up I'll probably 1/3-1/2 of my stuff to the dump (like a box of computer fans, another couple of power supplies, do I really need ~20 ac wall warts? ...)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

[quote="Markous"]Here is a couple of my Millie hoard that i accumulated over the past year :eek:

Sadly :( unemployment over the last 5 months has moved them all on to new homes.

Thanks for the pics! This one is very unique, wish you wouldn't have had to part with them. Good luck to you!!!
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

I have a drawer full of knives that I really like. Most of which are users. Then I have another drawer in the spare room with knives I wasn't really satisfied with and intend to sell. The problem being its a lot faster and easier to hit the pay now button than post for sale threads and all the associated headaches of managing a sales thread. I have yet to sell a single knife :( So I am hoarding because I'm lazy, not because I can't let go.

I think buying with intention of resale is flipping, profiteering or commerce not hording.

Hoarding by definition is "the excessive collection of items, along with the inability to discard them."

Compulsive hoarding, on the other hand, is a mental disorder marked by an obsessive need to acquire and keep things, even if the items are worthless, hazardous, or unsanitary.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I hoard and then I purge. I have hoarded hundreds of knives in my life. I have about 30 or so hoarded right now total, five or so of them Spydercos. :D

But it is your money do what you will with it. I like seeing a good hoard of knives so hats off to the guys with the museum level collections!!! :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:I think perhaps part of the problem is that horde and hoard sound very much alike. However, they are totally unrelated and it's only a coincidence that they can both refer to a large amount of something. So, while some of us may have a horde of Spydercos, or even a horde of one particular model, we don't feel we are hoarding them. ;) :D
Well said! ;)
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

I don't think buying any number of knives (or much of anything else) is hoarding. You buy what you want, when you can, as many as you like. If you intend to resell, great, that is capitalisim . If you put them in a safe, also great, that is your business. If you put them in the shrine and caress them and have pet names, well that is weird, but also your business.

At the end of the day, you define your position with your wallet. If you have the coin, do what you want. If anybody else whines, they got there too late with not enough pennies.
Experience is something you get right after you need it :eek:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

WORKER#9 wrote:I hoard and then I purge. I have hoarded hundreds of knives in my life. I have about 30 or so hoarded right now total, five or so of them Spydercos. :D

But it is your money do what you will with it. I like seeing a good hoard of knives so hats off to the guys with the museum level collections!!! :)
Nice to see ya on the forum knifebro #9...You have been missed....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Azad

Post by Azad »

I'm developing a hoarding issue... It wasn't apparent to me till I did a headcount recently. Just the Manix 2... 3 x pinks, 2 x blues, 2 CF and 6 x FG. Have a Manix 1, 1 x FG. I'm going to give it a rest, no new knives till the year end bonus.