Hoarding - discuss

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ozspyder

Hoarding - discuss

Post by ozspyder »

OK, we've all been seeing this word come up a bit over the last few years especially when a sprint run or limited run comes up.

What does it mean and what does the perceived meaning connote when discussing knives/ Spydies.

I can say that I used to hoard as many knives as I could afford. But have since sold a lot of them that I do not use. However, I admit that I do hoard a few 'lines' of Spyderco models which I love to use and pimp and collect.

In my definition of hoarding that relates to me personally I can say that I 'hoard' Kopas, Persians and Military. I don't have every iteration of the Millie, but I do have many of the Kopas and Persians.

I have multiples of Persians and Kopas because I love to use them, love to pimp them up (get others to do them actually :p ), and it doesn't hurt to gift them away to friends, family and acquaintances. In fact I have gifted too many to count. It's the only way to spread the Spyder-venom :D

Who else here hoards?
Who thinks it's a good thing or a bad thing?
Is it detrimental to your own health or to the health or well-being of the knife community ?
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I hoard until I find out how many I will actually use. Then I give the unused ones out as gifts. I think it's kind of natural.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
MENTAL

Post by MENTAL »

I am also a hoarder. I have collections of many things; Zippos, flashlights, CDs, DVDs, books, and knives. My bigger problem is that I cannot part with any of it. I actually had to get a storage unit just to keep from being buried by it. As you are mostly asking of the hoarding of Spydies (I think) I would have to say that you other collectors will still have plenty to choose from. I wish I could get rid of some of my things sometimes, but I assume the feeling of parting with it would be equal to the buyer's remorse I get when acquiring it. For now I'll just hold on to it. I have enough things wrong with me for two people. Hoarding is the only disorder I have that I kind of enjoy. I would keep on collecting Spydies if my wallet could handle it. Lately, things aren't looking so good as far as that goes, but I'll try.
Let me summarize:
Hoarding-guilty
Bad for me- You bet
Bad for knife community- Probably not. Supply and demand, right?
Without Wax
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I very rarely hoard. I do have spares of a few favorite models, but no more than one spare. The spares are the only knives that aren't users.

Variations of a model don't count as spares and are users :D

Sverre
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I always buy more than one of knives I intend to use. Sounds logical. The hoarding comes in when after actually using a knife, I find that it does not please me as much as others I have and it gets put away in it's box. I will occasionally give such a knife away, but never do I sell one. So, I guess I am a hoarder and not just a collector. The collector part of my personality comes out when I buy varieties of a knife. Having multiples within a theme, such as Kiwis, is collecting, not hoarding.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I think the term is mostly used as a pejorative, but in several different contexts. Some feel collecting is wrong, that knives should only be purchased for use, and consider collecting to be hoarding. Some consider buying an extra of any knife, even if done to have a backup user, as hoarding. Some use the term to describe those who buy multiples of a model produced in small quantities with the specific intent of reselling them at a profit.

As for me, I have tons of knives I never use in my collection, own backups and multiple customized variants of most of the ones I do use, but never buy with the intent of selling. I'd don't perceive what I do as hoarding, but am sure some would disagree.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

LOL Paul, a pejorative indeed :) I use it as a term of endearment :p

I love my hoard and have no shame in 'hoarding or collecting' certain knives.... If I don't like them and feel guilty for having some then i end up doing a giveaway or raffle or just plain gift it out.

But as some have said they don't like it when others hoard or buy more than one of say a limited or sprint run. I don't mind if others buy more than one because sometimes i do the same. But with no intention of selling..... just for my own personal gratification or future intention of having a pimping carnival !
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
v8r

Post by v8r »

i have no problem with people buying multiple knives. If you have the funds and it doesn't put your family in a bind, then go for it. I have several knives that I have that I don't ever use because I like them. I have recently sold off a lot of the knives that I liked, but never really intended on using.I am a user kind of guy. The ones that I am keeping are the Ethnic series knives that I own, knives that were gifted to me, and others that I just find really interesting.
If people want to buy multiple knives in a sprint run/forum knife to sell for a profit....while I don't really agree with it, It really does not really ruffle my feathers.The only way Spyderco could remedy this type of thing(some what) would be to sell all sprint runs/forum knives through SFO at a limit of one per person. Even then you would have people buying to turn around and flip them.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Is there any difference if you hoard for your personal pleasure without intending to sell or OTOH, hoarding as speculation for a possible windfall?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Is there any difference if you hoard for your personal pleasure without intending to sell or OTOH, hoarding as speculation for a possible windfall?
Don't know how it is elsewhere, but America is a funny place. We value capitalism but detest profiteers and the line between the two is often very blurry.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not sure if I should consider myself collector. I just love good looking knives, so most of my knives are safe queens. I have eight knives, which I use, five of the same I have in my display case. In addition to this I have three more doubles, just saw them cheap and couldn't pass a deal (most likely I needed fix and didn't see anything else to buy). I used to buy more "great deals" with intend to trade or resale, but never had a luck, just a headache.
By the way, when we are talking about hoarding or multiple copies, there are couple interpretations. I have three small Persians (yes, only three :o , I got too late in the game). IMHO they are not multiples. One of the with gold bug, second with black, and the last has custom handle, but probably some people think different. :confused:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I come across it honestly... it's genetic from my grandmother :p

Her craft room used to be impossible to find anything before she was given a bunch of storage containers and shelves, now you can actually walk in there and find what you need.

My back office is getting there with books, computers, parts and cable. I clean it every few months but within a few weeks it's back to that stage.
Just finished donating 5 towers, 3 totes of parts, and a big bag of ram... so I have to organize again. Picked up a new rack mount switch, a coupe wireless routers and some network phones since then.

Likely going to donate a pile of books when I get my letter for this other job. Think I could easily clear off anywhere between 100-150 books from my shelf that either haven't been read and won't be read soon, or have been read and won't be re-read. That frees up my small shelf, but doesn't make a dent in my main shelves.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I'm a hoarder. There's only narrow paths in my house to walk between huge stacks of old and new Spydercos and Byrds.
Perry

Post by Perry »

+ I don't see collecting as hoarding really. Collecting is usually strategic, if it's not well then maybe that is hoarding.

+ If you like a knife and purchase more than two of the very same model—one beyond a back-up—that is very clearly hoarding and there is something wrong with you.

+ If you find yourself defending the third purchase #1; "I'm going to get so much use out of these knives I will probably loose at least two of them", we know what's wrong with you, you are delusional.

+ If you find yourself defending the third purchase #2; "one of them can be used for spare parts, cuz I'm certainly going to wear-out or damage something on them other two", we know what's wrong with you, you are delusional.

+ If you buy four of the same knife you probably already know you are delusional.

+ I am delusional, just ask my wives.
grg

Post by grg »

I've thought about this myself.I know I'll never use the one hundred plus spydercos I own,but theres always another great one coming out so whats a knifenut to do.
I did manage to sell one of my CR sebenzas today,but for some reason I usually just trade one spyderco for another.I'm going to make myself thin the herd so to speak this is getting ridiculous.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Perry wrote:
+ I am delusional, just ask my wives.
How many wives did you hoard?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

This thread needs some hoarding pics :eek:

Everyone interprets hoarding differently, those who hoard use the word differently then those who collect. My interpretation is if you buy with no intent to sell then that would be hoarding but If you buy with the thought that you could sell or trade in the future be it near or far that is collecting. I personally carry many labels so if hoarding or collecting is one of them I would consider that one of my better labels.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

im the very opposite of a hoarder, i tend to throw away alot of things if i see that its taking up space and not being used. its a costly problem. the only knife i bought alot of was the white frn sets. not throwing those away though lol
mechnik

Post by mechnik »

If it does not bother you to keep extra copies then good for you.
Hoarding is a problem for me. I've acquired multiple copies of various things and knives are just the latest. Mostly books and used computers, often with the intention of gifting but more often these items just gather dust. Finally got rid of my old magazines and papers 2 weeks ago. Not too much argument from the recycling truck guy when I helped him toss 7 full bins.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Is there any difference if you hoard for your personal pleasure without intending to sell or OTOH, hoarding as speculation for a possible windfall?
No problem for me, no one has to buy anything. People that bought extras and had to sell them, needed cash, changed collections or in some cases passed away, enabled me to add some rare old knives to add to my collection.

This topic is not far from complaints about 'over biding' on that auction site. :D