are S shaped curved blades alot harder to sharpen??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cooldaddyfunk286

are S shaped curved blades alot harder to sharpen??

Post by cooldaddyfunk286 »

just a quick question i had ratteling around in my brain. thanks!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

cooldaddyfunk286 wrote:just a quick question i had ratteling around in my brain. thanks!!
What do you think? Would you find it easier or harder?
cooldaddyfunk286

Post by cooldaddyfunk286 »

ahhh as soon as i posted it I said "dumb question" what i meant was, is it MUCH harder to sharpen?
The General

Post by The General »

I have found it is a bit harder to sharpen if you are using flat and wide bench stones. You have to use a bit more care than normal.

If you are using a Sharpmaker and strop. Makes no difference to me.
My real name is Wayne :D
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I haven't tried sharpening anything like a reverse s, hawkbill or recurved blade. Sal shows how to do it in the Sharpmaker instructional DVD..it's basically like normal sharpening, but you NEED to use the edges of the triangular Sharpmaker stones (same as with serrations). This is because if you use a flat surface, rather than the edge, it can flatten out your curves (or serrations, or tanto point). That's the main concern, not to flatten out your edge's shape
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on the curvature and on how you sharpen. Any concave curves will be harder, or at least more time consuming, to sharpen on flat stones. How much harder will depend on the degree of curvature. A mild recurve like the Adventura would be harder than something like the Stretch, but still fairly easy, a Cricket, considerably more difficult. With a Sharpmaker the differences would be minimal.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

Like Deacon said, it can be a bit harder on regular flat stones. But it's quite easy with a curved stone like the Spyderco Pro-files, ceramic sharpening rods or just sandpaper wrapped around a pen.