Is anyone interested in a LIVESTRONG series of pocketknives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

The Deacon wrote:and have charitable donations tied to the Chokwe and Pink Native.
And the Sages too.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I would think that Spyderco would be extremely reluctant to associate themselves with Lance Armstrong at present. Armstrong is currently undergoing an investigation for use of performance-enhancing substances.

As a former bike racer, I have been casually following the investigation. There is at least one credible source indicating that Armstrong admitted to these tatics in the past.

Given the recent history of the sport and the momentum of the investigation, I would say that it's even odds that Armstrong will be found guilty. As a cycling fan, I hope he is not, but it is quite possible.

Spyderco becoming involved with Armstrong right now would be akin to another sponsor signing Tiger Woods in the middle of his recent turmoil, or Kobe Bryant in the middle of his trial for rape allegations.

As interesting as the Livestrong model would be, it won't even be considered right now.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Just pointing this out,

Nemik51, the poster who started this thread, just joined the forum and, at this time, has only posted on this thread.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

I also support the spirit of the idea, however not the idea.

Live Strong as a charity and a marketing entity is very rich in itself, and does not readily need someone like Spyderco to promote itself via a product.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Pretty simple:

Contact the Livestrong foundation & tell them to contract out a run of knives with Spyderco. If they are interested in the idea I don't see why they can't front the money for it.

Personally I'd not buy one.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would be interested in one and not just because the guy who started this thread is my father. My wife is a survivor. Livestrong/Lance Armstrong Foundation helps people who have been affected by cancer. Last year they raised $325 million dollars for the fight against cancer.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

araneae wrote: the guy who started this thread is my father.
really?
Jester wrote:Just pointing this out,

Nemik51, the poster who started this thread, just joined the forum and, at this time, has only posted on this thread.
meaning? :confused:

i would be down with anything spy makes that is for charity and is yellow g1:)
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I would love to see yellow G-10. Perhaps a Salt sprint in G-10, since it hasn't been done yet.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

No, thanks. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
nemik51

Livestrong Knives

Post by nemik51 »

The Deacon wrote:There's also a limit as to how much a small company like Spyderco can be expected to do. Right now they're sending out several free OIF Natives to servicemen each month, and have charitable donations tied to the Chokwe and Pink Native. I would be very surprised if they make a profit on the Whale Rescue Blades either.
A co worker passed away last night. She died 2 weeks after her diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. As I get older ,the list of friends affected by cancer grows longer. I'm not asking Spyderco to lose money by producing knives for the LIVESTRONG organization. I'm suggesting that they could sell a lot of knives to a worthwhile organization and play a part in raising money to fight cancer.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

nemik51 wrote:A co worker passed away last night. She died 2 weeks after her diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. As I get older ,the list of friends affected by cancer grows longer. I'm not asking Spyderco to lose money by producing knives for the LIVESTRONG organization. I'm suggesting that they could sell a lot of knives to a worthwhile organization and play a part in raising money to fight cancer.
Sorry about you loss, and my apologies for being unfamiliar with the LIVESTRONG organization's business model and not taking the time to research it before posting.

I do understand your point, and your enthusiasm for that cause. I'll be sixty five myself in a few days. In my younger days, quite a few of my good friends were older than me. I've lost many of them, plus too many of the ones my age and younger, to one thing or another and more than a few to cancer. Perhaps because of that, I already had a number of cancer related organizations I was contributing to for decades before LIVESTRONG came into being.

I realize you came here primarily looking to gauge interest in the idea among Spyderco fans. I hope the responses have not been too disappointing to you.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
nemik51

Livestrong Knives

Post by nemik51 »

The Deacon wrote:Sorry about you loss, and my apologies for being unfamiliar with the LIVESTRONG organization's business model and not taking the time to research it before posting.

I do understand your point, and your enthusiasm for that cause. I'll be sixty five myself in a few days. In my younger days, quite a few of my good friends were older than me. I've lost many of them, plus too many of the ones my age and younger, to one thing or another and more than a few to cancer. Perhaps because of that, I already had a number of cancer related organizations I was contributing to for decades before LIVESTRONG came into being.

I realize you came here primarily looking to gauge interest in the idea among Spyderco fans. I hope the responses have not been too disappointing to you.
Thank you. I must admit that I wasn't expecting negativity. The livestrong organization isn't about Lance or Cycling. It's about people trying to help others cope with devastating illness.I have contacted people at the organization and the idea of a Livestrong pocketknife was passed along to a commitee for consideration. If it does happen I hope the knife is a spyderco.
Thanks again for your kind response.
Nick
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

I think it's a fantastic idea, and I would definitely buy one. :spyder:
ruger95

Post by ruger95 »

No
nemik51

Thanks for the support

Post by nemik51 »

Padawan wrote:I think it's a fantastic idea, and I would definitely buy one. :spyder:
I would be proud to carry a LIVESTRONG pocketknife.-but it should be a GOOD knife. With enough support it might happen.