Red Persian sprint quantity

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
v8r

Red Persian sprint quantity

Post by v8r »

I have had one on preorder for a month now, and my distributor told me last week that they don't know if they are going to be able to get enough to meet their preorder demand. They said to be fair to all their customers they were probably going to have to put the quantity they are going to get on EBay. :( I have been looking forward to this knife since I read about it.I missed out on the first one, and was hoping to be able to get in on this run.I guess I could always buy one from SFO, but I don't think I could afford msrp.
Does anyone have any idea why Spyderco isn't building more of these than 700....it just seems like a odd number.Why not a 1000 or 1500? I would think they would sell very well among the AFI community.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Has anyone from Spyderco confirmed what the quantity actually is? I've seen several numbers mentioned, but never by anyone from Spyderco. As for why the quantity is whatever it turns out to be, I'd assume that was Spyderco's estimate of how many they could sell with relatively little risk.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MCM

Post by MCM »

PM sent
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

v8r wrote:They said to be fair to all their customers they were probably going to have to put the quantity they are going to get on EBay
Funny how that "fairness to customers" will coincidentally yield more profit via e-bay for the distributor if the numbers are as scarce as they say.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

v8r wrote:I have had one on preorder for a month now, and my distributor told me last week that they don't know if they are going to be able to get enough to meet their preorder demand. They said to be fair to all their customers they were probably going to have to put the quantity they are going to get on EBay. :(
Sound like BS for me. I would never buy from this dealer again. There are plenty of descent dealers on the web.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Fairness isnt putting them on eBay. That's greed. Fairness would be to sell them first come first serve. Hiding greed under the guise of fairness is quite unethical. I would shop elsewhere myself.
Grisle

Post by Grisle »

I'm starting to get a little nervous myself. Hopefully the place I ordered from can come through as I've been really excited myself about these.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Not even remotely interested in the knife so I'm not worried at all, just leaves more for the rest of you guys. I would never do business with that dealer again, that isn't remotely fair, but a good way for them to make a tidy profit.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I hope they all sell on eBay for $20.00! :D
:bug-red-white
sal

Post by sal »

We can never tell what is the "right" number to make on a Sprint. We've been increasing them lately as demand seems to be greater than we thought.

sal
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Thanks Sal :)

Increasing numbers on this and other afi's lusted after models will always get the good reception.

Maybe do a Kopa-esque run of 16 sprints ;) :D

I am very much looking forward to this red one. Is this the first non-trainer red handled release on a Spydie?
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:We can never tell what is the "right" number to make on a Sprint. We've been increasing them lately as demand seems to be greater than we thought.

sal
Sal,

Thank you very much for understanding.
ozspyder wrote:Thanks Sal :)

Increasing numbers on this and other afi's lusted after models will always get the good reception.

Daniel,
I like the way you thinking :p
Every year Persian with different handle material. That would be nice :p :p :p
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

**** yeah :D

I'm really glad I've got my red persian locked up! Even with a larger sprint, I imagine they will go pretty quick. I'm so glad to get in on this, after just missing out on the mini-persian (this should be better anyway)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I am very much looking forward to this red one. Is this the first non-trainer red handled release on a Spydie?
I have learned that many afi's and collectors do not feel it is a good idea to increase the numbers. They feel that the more of a model, the less "exclusive" it will be. I personally wish there was enough for everyone who wants one to get one.

I think there was a red handled Snap-It, if I remember. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
MCM

Post by MCM »

So, is 700 the real number?

Thanks
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

MCM wrote:So, is 700 the real number?

Thanks
That's the number i've seen most commonly on my most trusted dealer sites.

Of course only Sal or another spyderco employee can give you a real answer, but if I had to bet I'd say that's the correct number.
hoshyoto

Post by hoshyoto »

Any chance you could mention the dealer's name so we can avoid them? If you don't want to post it publicly could you send me a PM?

Thanks,

Jeff
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I'm with Jeff and would like to know too so that I can make sure I avoid them if they do their business this way. Dan
MCM

Post by MCM »

700 is a good sized run.
Am sure they will be selling on e-bay in the $140-150 range once the initial hoopla dies down. (If your regular dealer does not have any spares)
1st one on the bay sold for $163 I think.
Should go down from there as more dealers get them in stock........

If you want one today, you should be able to find one at a decent price over the next week or two.

Just my opinion.........
markg

Post by markg »

I have a love/hate relationship with sprint runs.

On one hand, they are a great way to get some old classics (with some change of course) you may have missed or have parted ways with and now regret.

On the other hand, sprint runs demand you buy them NOW, and frankly you may not always have the funds at that moment.

And it seems of late, that people are just making unfair profits on these knives. From the Matriarch to the Persian demand (both real and perceived) has jacked up prices. I wanted a PE Matriarch, but feel like paying over MSRP for a new knife. I know it must not be easy to gauge interest and I know there have been sprints in the past that moved pretty slow. But this knife should move fast and furious.

Which then leads to hoarding by some folks, which is a whole another issue.

I may just have to sit this knife out and wait for the regular production G-10 version...