An idea I was thinking on regarding a new model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The General

An idea I was thinking on regarding a new model

Post by The General »

I was thinking last night.

2 new models for Spyderco/Byrd.

First knife would be a non locking Byrd slipit. Sub 3" blade with the finger choil and one hand opening. The handle would also have a wide screwdriver with bottle opener and a separate can opener.

As a basic visualisation a modern one handed opener interpretation of the SAK Alox Soldier.

Call it the Herring Gull.

Then a Spyderco version of the same knife with the round opening hole and H1 steel. Call that the Seagull as its rust proof.

Basically not everyone wants a big multitool and at the same time the decent steel and one handed opening would make this ideal as a keychain knife that would be legal carry just about everywhere but would also open bottles, cans and be a screwdriver/pry tool.

I know I would buy one! Anyone else? Some will say the SAK does that, but it does not have the finger choil, the improved steel or the one handed opening. These are significant improvements over a design idea.
My real name is Wayne :D
mrsteel

Post by mrsteel »

It would be cool to have a multi-tool with decent steel on it.
The General

Post by The General »

mrsteel wrote:It would be cool to have a multi-tool with decent steel on it.
To be clear though I am not thinking about something like a Leatherman type tool though. Just a keychain suitable pocket tool that does the basics. Bottles, cans and prying with a nice cutting blade one handed opening.

Spyderize a pocket tool! :spyder: :D
My real name is Wayne :D
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Since the original Lil' Temp is never going to come back with it's fat perfect handle, I'd love to see a fixed blade version of it. A Byrd would be fine.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

I think they're working on something similar to this, but I don't know if it's a slipit or what size it is. Last I heard they hadn't decided on what the additional tool(s) would be either. I think it's still a long way out.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
mrsteel

Post by mrsteel »

The General wrote:To be clear though I am not thinking about something like a Leatherman type tool though. Just a keychain suitable pocket tool that does the basics. Bottles, cans and prying with a nice cutting blade one handed opening.

Spyderize a pocket tool! :spyder: :D
Ok. My mind went straight to a Leatherman type thing the first time I read this.