Spyderco PPT with blue G10!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WhitefeatherTexas

Post by WhitefeatherTexas »

CanisMajor wrote:I'm liking the blue.

Canis
Appreciate the compliment!
WhitefeatherTexas

StangBang wrote:Man I love me some blue G10!!! Looks great :D
I'm pretty happy with it, thanks.
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

WhitefeatherTexas wrote:I researched what to use when cutting and everyone said that G10 will grind regular steel blades to a dull edge. I picked up a tungsten carbide bit intended for cutting tile and other ceramics. I suggest getting the router table attachment that Dremel makes; I didn't have one and I had to make a router table out of wood, which didn't make for a very accurate cut.

[img][IMG]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o240 ... G_0205.jpg[/img][/IMG]
Thanks for the pic!
I actually have the router table for Dremel. A very handy little thing. I'm currently trying to shape/reduce some stabilized wood but it's just taking way too long by sanding. I hope this type of bit makes short work of it.
Spyderco C60P Massad Ayoob avatar courtesy of Dialex.
WhitefeatherTexas

tanrichguy wrote:Thanks for the pic!
I actually have the router table for Dremel. A very handy little thing. I'm currently trying to shape/reduce some stabilized wood but it's just taking way too long by sanding. I hope this type of bit makes short work of it.
Wood huh? I think there are better bits for wood but you can give it a try.
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

Really sweet job! Is there a list somewhere of Spydie's that would be accept G10 handles? For example, would a regular FRN Endura work or no?
WhitefeatherTexas

ninemm wrote:Really sweet job! Is there a list somewhere of Spydie's that would be accept G10 handles? For example, would a regular FRN Endura work or no?
Well, in theory you could put G10 on any knife, but its easier to put on knives that are liner locks. An Endura or a Delica has a lock back so it would involve a little more tedious machining and such.
WhitefeatherTexas

v8r wrote:That's pretty pimp my Texas brother! Nice job.
Thanks bro!
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

WhitefeatherTexas wrote:Wood huh? I think there are better bits for wood but you can give it a try.
The stabilized stuff is more like a composite material. Very hard, very dense. At first I thought it would work just like regular wood. I was wrong.
WhitefeatherTexas

tanrichguy wrote:The stabilized stuff is more like a composite material. Very hard, very dense. At first I thought it would work just like regular wood. I was wrong.
Yeah I would try the TC bit, if the wood isn't too gummy then it should definitely work.
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

WhitefeatherTexas wrote:Yeah I would try the TC bit, if the wood isn't too gummy then it should definitely work.
No, not gummy at all. The closest thing I can compare it to would be like Lucite but much harder. It smells of superglue when cut or sanded. Really cool stuff actually and will be beautiful when finished but more work than I anticipated.
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

Excellent work, very impressive sir!