Just starting out: Should I...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ninemm

Just starting out: Should I...

Post by ninemm »

Hey Everyone,

So, I'm just starting out into knives, kind of. I bought a used Foliage FRN Delica this past spring and while I loved the design and ergonomics of the knife the edge was never very good. This was due to the heavy use the PO put on it. I intended to send it off to Spyderco for sharpening, but ended up selling it before I got the chance. (Insert regret here)

Since that time I left knives alone, carrying my Kershaw Leek with me. Well, thanks to nutnfancy the knife bug has bit again. Recently picked up my first(ish) Spyderco, a blue FRN FFG Endura. Woohoo! Now, I've got a huge long list of Spyderco's (and some other knives, gasp!) that I want to buy. However, I'm wondering if it would be wiser to invest in a Sharpmaker so that I can keep my blades cutting well. Keep in mind I am a total newb when it comes to sharpening.

ABRIDGED VERSION: Should I spend money on more knives first or should I get a sharpmaker to maintain the ones I have/will buy later?

Spyderco's on my hit list: ZDP StretchII, Camo or Orange Military, White FRN Dragonfly, Persistence or Tenacious...probably will be more.

Thanks for your help!
crabhab

Post by crabhab »

While I am new here on the Spyderco board I have been collecting knives on and off for about 10 years. I think that a quality sharpening system like the sharpmaker is a solid investment and will provide a basis for maintaining your new knife collection.
The General

Post by The General »

Get the Sharpmaker. Its a solid investment.
My real name is Wayne :D
kawr

Post by kawr »

Yep, I picked up a Sharpmaker along with my first Spyderco knife and it was the smartest purchase I've made. No point in getting knives if they dont stay sharp :) .
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

Not sure if it is kosher to ask on the board, but what is a good price to pay for a new sharpmaker and where is a good place to pick one up? Likewise, what's a price you guys would think is good for a used sharpmaker? (Ex. I saw one on a forum for $50)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!
dirtpig67

Post by dirtpig67 »

Some sort of sharpening equipment is a key item if you own knives of any type. The easiest method to keep a knife sharp is to not let it get extremely dull by regular sharpening.

The Sharpmaker is a very popular method not only because this is a Spyderco forum but because it works and you see it recommended by lots of people that don't necessarily carry this brand.

As for a good place to buy them, knivesshipfree has never treated me wrong.

There is a forum member here named "catamount" that is an authorized Spyderco dealer and has done a lot of business with the members of this forum (including myself). You might contact him to see what kind of deal he can get you on that item or any Spyderco product for that matter. Here is his website.

http://spydercovt.com/
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Just buy lots of knives and rotate through them so they take years to get enough use to get dull. :D
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

yowzer wrote:Just buy lots of knives and rotate through them so they take years to get enough use to get dull. :D
That's actually what I ended up doing. I bought about 70 Spydercos this year so far. So, I haven't needed a sharpmaker yet! :D

But, it's a good idea to go ahead and get one.
:bug-red-white
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I think it is wise to pick up a Sharpmaker earlier rather than later. You will invest much less time if you use it to keep your knives sharp rather than letting them go completely dull. If you plan to let your knives go dull inbetween sharpenings, get the Diamond rods at the same time you order the sharpener.

Welcome to the forums!!! :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I read here that sharpening is a regular maintenance activity for your knife. Kinda like stripping and cleaning your firearm is a regular maintenance activity.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:I think it is wise to pick up a Sharpmaker earlier rather than later. You will invest much less time if you use it to keep your knives sharp rather than letting them go completely dull. If you plan to let your knives go dull inbetween sharpenings, get the Diamond rods at the same time you order the sharpener.

Welcome to the forums!!! :)
Completely agree.
ninemm wrote:Not sure if it is kosher to ask on the board, but what is a good price to pay for a new sharpmaker and where is a good place to pick one up? Likewise, what's a price you guys would think is good for a used sharpmaker? (Ex. I saw one on a forum for $50)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!
I paid just under $50 shipped for my sharpmaker(new), one of my best/smartest purchases. Knifecenter, Cutlery Shoppe, New Graham Knives, Knifeworks, YourCornerStore are all good places to buy from.

Canis

p.s. Welcome to the Forum
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I got my sharpmaker after maybe 2-3 spyderco folders, and the only regret is not getting it earlier :) . Make sure that you watch the video with it carefully and look up any questions on the forum archives before you use it, it is pretty easy if you know what you are trying to do. I remember thinking "I'd rather have 3 really sharp spydies than 5 dull ones" when I decided to get the SM. Now I have like 6-8 really sharp ones :D
dirtpig67

Post by dirtpig67 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I read here that sharpening is a regular maintenance activity for your knife. Kinda like stripping and cleaning your firearm is a regular maintenance activity.
A sharp knife is a safe knife :spyder:
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

Thanks guys for the welcomes and advice! I contacted catamount about a sharpmaker and some other knives. ;) Getting a sharpmaker is top on my list. Thankfully I will still have about $100 left over to buy my second Spyderco. Any thoughts or suggestions? :D
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I got about 6 knives before I got a sharpmaker. I was using a lansky prior to that, but the Sharpmaker definitely helps with serrations and other varieties of sharp objects. I've done darts and awls and peelers etc.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

I was kind of in the same boat not too long back. I had gotten my first Spyderco (Native). I loved it soo much that i wanted to buy more :spyder: . I ended up seeing a new sharpmaker on ebay for 50$ shipped and couldn't resist. I have not regretted buying the SM first. and now have two more :spyder: s in my collection. If you do end up buying it don't concern yourself on buying the diamond or ultra fine rods until you have the hang of the sharpener (even then you can do with out using sandpaper and a strop).

cheers,

-CF
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

Best $50 you will spend on a sharpening device. It's not the only sharpener I have, but it's used the most.
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

Whether you're planning to start a knife collection or just have a few to use, good quality sharpening equipment is a must. If you like the Sharpmaker, go for it. It's a good sharpening system.

I'm a die hard believer in freehand sharpening, though. It takes more practice but it is worth it.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Welcome to the world of Spyderco :D

As others have suggested you would be wise to get a Shapmaker. I have a SM and I use it alongside a Byrd Duckfoot sharpener and some stones for freehand work. You won't regret getting the SM as it will give you more enjoyment from your knives :)
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
v8r

Post by v8r »

[quote="gbelleh"]. I bought about 70 Spydercos this year so far.

Man you got it bad! :eek: :D
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p