Why is Safety Orange on so few blades and mostly Slip-Its

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I love orange handles, that being said I had an orange millie for a while. When it was clipped to my pocket it looked like an orange traffic cone sticking out of my pocket. I finally got rid of it, nothing like having something that says, "Hey, look at me, I got a knife."
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

FLYBYU44 wrote:I love orange handles, that being said I had an orange millie for a while. When it was clipped to my pocket it looked like an orange traffic cone sticking out of my pocket. I finally got rid of it, nothing like having something that says, "Hey, look at me, I got a knife."
I chose the orange millie exactly for that purpose. I find the orange makes it look like a rescue/emergency knife and the black and camo scales make it look like a police or military knife. The orange is also easier to spot if dropped in the woods.
In omnia paratus
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Yeah, if I used it mainly for hiking or something it would make sense, unfortunatly most of my useage is urban in nature. I like the black scales, hate the camo ones, but then I dislike most things that are camo.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
The General

Post by The General »

Its a curious situation for me. Orange is aesthetically not at all pleasing. In my opinion anyway. It does have a safety appearance in some regards, but in the same manner, it draws attention. Something which is never good when there are non knife people about.

Even in the pocket, it draws looks where a black handle in the pocket on the clip goes un noticed by 99% of people.

If it were a dedicated safety knife, in my grab bag or on a lanyard when on a boat, sure, I would want this. Also for camping, it would be a great handle choice for a food prep knife. Still, I always put a knife back in my pocket or in the sheath. So its not an issue for me.

Having something in my pocket though that's shouting "look at me!" is NOT something I want. EVER.
My real name is Wayne :D