What do you use your knives for?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rivka

What do you use your knives for?

Post by Rivka »

I am writing an article on steel and I am designing a set of tests based on real use. I keep seeing knife tests based on things I would never do with a blade and I don't think they are very helpful so I am trying a different approach. Suggestions would be helpful especially from people and hunt and fish(I do neither). Any comments on which steel you like for particular jobs would be great too.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Cut rope to rig crab pots and clean and segment crabs(Caspian Salt).

Cutting cardboard, packing tape plastic ties. Prying out staples.

Every kind of food prep.

Cutting pills in half. (Need thin blade)

Whittling and carving.

Cut alder wood for smoking. (BBQ)

Trimming thorny plants back.

Opening feed sacks.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Today I used my VG10 Serrated Spyderco Endura for opening boxes, cutting a piece of sand paper (3 pieces actually), opening 4 or 5 clamshell packaging, trimming my fingernails, cutting zipties, slicing a registration sticker to prevent theft and trimming a piece of air hose.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

my Spyderco is in my pocket for my Awesome pocket knife & defense if it ever comes down to it.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Fending off ninjas!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

The question should be more like what dont you use your spyderco for... ;)
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
ICSK

Post by ICSK »

For the most part, I use it for light prying, scraping, slicing, and occasionally light chopping
  1. Cutting cardboard to open packages
  2. Opening letters
  3. Food preparation. Sometimes involves prying (ex: Taking seeds out of fruit. Nothing I know the knife couldn't take!)
  4. Trimming tree branches and/or foliage
  5. Scraping dirt off when I'm doing fossil prep.
That's all I could think of off the top of my head. As with all the tools I carry with me, their uses are spontaneous but they easily find their uses throughout the day.

As for cut tests, I know this youtuber does a cut test of cardboard, wood, parachord, and sometimes paper after all his knife reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BLUNTRUTH4U
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Cutting food, cardboard, clam packaging, plants, wood, rope, tape, paint out of corners, plastic banding, whatever needs cutting at home or in the shop or construction site. Never any prying, I use screwdriver blades on SAK for that.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

HotSoup wrote:Fending off ninjas!
There ya go! ;)

Hey soup, are there no zombies there?
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Most of mine are SLIPITs and are basically for slicing open boxes, envelopes, packaging and dinner-time food preparation :) I always wash them after use and keep them ready to eat with at all times :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
MENTAL

Post by MENTAL »

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41127

Rivka- Try this thread for (as of today) 234 answers to your question. Good luck with your article.
Without Wax
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Most common would be food prep, followed by opening letters and packages. Those are daily tasks. Opening larger cardboard boxes and breaking them down, and cutting plastic of some kind, ranging from bags, to zip ties, to the dreaded clam packs would be the next most frequent. Sharpening pencils, cutting twine and rope, scraping stickers off a car window, and trimming branches, would be my relatively low frequency uses.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Joe Internet

Post by Joe Internet »

Let's see... cutting up cardboard boxes, opening mail, cutting better air vents in coffee cup lids, cutting plastic bags open, cutting up catalogs and phonebooks for disposal, field dressing trout.

For clamshells, I usually grab my Leatherman Wave, and use the serrated blade, or use a utility knife.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Most every cutting need that arises while commercial lobstering.
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

Alright heres some of the stuff I use my knife for

Cleaning trout
Cutting fishing line
cutting up deer meat
Cutting open bags of corn
Food prep
Opening mail/packages
whittling wood
splitting small pieces of wood for kindling

And thats about all I can think of
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mostly corrugated boxes at work, tape, nylon packaging bands. Food prep. Occasional stick whittling when i'm outdoors and bored. Generally anything that needs cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

At my current desk job (hopefully changing soon)... opening boxes (tape or straps) of units for testing, food prep, and cutting paper to add to my "wall of knowledge".

With my IT work I use em for electrical tape, zip ties, cable, packages, and even so far as to make a few wiring mods. But I also have a fairly well equipped toolbox for IT.

Most of the use my knives see is food prep and cutting tape. Clam packs are only on a few parts I get (like my spare cellphone batteries). Real demanding on the high performance knives eh?
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

I spend roughly one third of my time in an urban setting, another third in a rural environment and the final third outdoors.

In the city I favour compact pocket knives. I do a lot of food prep (I eat six meals a day), open boxes, cut plastic packing straps, zip ties, etc. For some reason I always end up doing handy work for friends, my girlfriend or at school. So I use my knives for that as well (cutting drywall, stripping wires, trimming caulking and any other thing that needs cutting).

At the horse ranch I prefer fixed blades. Come to think of it, I only rely on folders in the city because I can't EDC a fixed blade. I do a lot of food prep as well, cut cordage and leather (saddles always need fixing) and anything that needs cutting for maintenance work (hoses, wood).

Outdoors I prefer fixed blades as well. I do a lot of wood whittling while playing caveman (friction fire kits, traps and snares, cups and spoons).I also cut cordage, clean game and fish, split wood for kindling.
cckw

Post by cckw »

here is my most critical use in my mind. I process my own deer. I use the same knife start to finish. It is a 4" drop point hunter like the Moran. The one I have is a D2 blade and can do about 2.5 deer before I am annoyed by the loss of sharpness. I'm careful about contacting bone or counter top. Of course, at the point I am annoyed many Buba types would think it's great.

I personally do not want to stop and sharpen and since I never do more then two at a time my knife is a winner.

Hope you can glean something useful from that
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Most of my knives go unused, I use my edc for various daily tasks. I mainly carry it for the worst case scenario,