Is CTX-XHP difficult to sharpen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Is CTX-XHP difficult to sharpen?

Post by catamount »

Some of the posts about this steel have given me the impression that it is difficult to sharpen. I'm talking about touching up/restoring the edge on a Sharpmaker, not reprofiling, or anything like that.

How does it compare to VG-10?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Hi Tom, IMO, a little tougher than VG10 but not particularly difficult.

Ken
玉鋼
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

My experience is that it's in the VG-10/154CM/ATS-35 range.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm no expert on sharpening, but mine wasn't too much more difficult than VG-10.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Tom, I'm not sure how to compare it to VG10, but to me it's pretty similar to the CPM D2 in a lot of ways.

Trying to describe difficulty or ease of sharpening is kind of subjective so I try to get it close to a steel you may be more familiar with.

In my opinion, they were both easier to sharpen, and took better edges than ingot cast D2 of the same hardness. D2 can be pretty stubborn without good sharpening equipment but I didn't find it difficult at all making these PM steels very sharp, expecially considering their fairly high level of wear resistance and decent edge stability.

It's good stuff in my opinion. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

catamount wrote:Some of the posts about this steel have given me the impression that it is difficult to sharpen. I'm talking about touching up/restoring the edge on a Sharpmaker, not reprofiling, or anything like that.

How does it compare to VG-10?
It is usual complain about any new steel came to market, especially really good steel clearly better then many or even best - as it is in case of CTS-XHP.

It does not based on practical experience, but rather on wrong concept that all steel are same and if it holds edge best then you have to give up easy to sharpen or something else. Which is some more or less philosophical concept, fortunately not really related to real World.

In fact CTS-XHP are easy to sharpen and holds edge much better then any production steel including ZDP-189. It may sounds unfair, but it is fact of life.

Other usual complains for new good steel are - not enough corrosion resistant and brittle. All this have nothing to do with this steel as well as all other steels before.

Thanks, Vassili.
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

There are few steels that get the balance between edge retention and ease of sharpening like vg10, however, with that said, XHP is fantastic. It holds it s edge amazingly and is extremely easy to sharpen relative to other steels with similar edge retention. Just roughly estimating, I would say it is about 30% harder to sharpenthan VG, whereas for reference ZDP would be over 300%.. (meaning, it can take more than three times the number if swipes, if not more to make an edge from being dull.. Boy zdp is hard to sharpen!)

Any ways, this is just my opinion but XHP may be my new favorite steel :)
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Not at all. But I'm using paper wheels. Took me less than 10 minutes to reprofile to 30 degrees and hone to a hair whittling edge. Longer than S30V, VG-10 or H-1, less than S90V. I've added an extra grit step to the honing so it takes a bit longer than before.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Well let kind of make clear about what sharpening we are talking about.

I use DMT D8XX, D11C, D11E and Green Rouge to make any steel whittling hair an about 5-15 minutes. Does not matter what steel it is ZDP-189 or CTS-XHP or D2. Using this methid all steel asr the same.

Now is it possible to say what kind of sharpening is used when some steel seems to be easy to sharpen then other? I always ask this question and never have answer for some reason. But it is important to know, may be this is not steel to blame but sharpening method instead?

Thanks, Vassili.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Vassili,

I agree. With all the sharpening options available these days, I think it makes all the difference on how you go about it. It's all pretty much the same in the end. Even the hardest steel takes maybe an additional minute per wheel compared to Aus-8 or 8Cr13MoV.

It takes me longer to drag my bench grinder out and setup the wheels on it than for the actual sharpening. Amazing stuff.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral