Steels that hold a hair-popping edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Steels that hold a hair-popping edge?

Post by catamount »

One of the things I really like about VG-10 is that it holds a hair-popping edge for a good while. S30V may hold a working edge longer, but it loses the hair-popping edge fairly quick.

What other steels will hold a hair-popping edge as long as, or longer than, VG-10?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Dare I say ZDP-189? :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
catamount

Post by catamount »

ChrisR wrote:Dare I say ZDP-189? :D
Actually, that hasn't really been my experience with ZDP-189.
Tom

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
unit

Post by unit »

ChrisR wrote:Dare I say ZDP-189? :D
I would.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
dirtpig67

Post by dirtpig67 »

3V

I have a Bark River fixed blade made from this stuff that I have had and used for a while which still has its original razor edge. Never had to sharpen it once. 3V is some amazing stuff and holds an edge longer light years above anything I have ever used. It will be a good day when Spyderco finally ventures into folders with that steel. It takes holding an edge to a whole new level in my opinion.
v8r

Post by v8r »

440V seems to stay nasty sharp for awhile. 9cr13mov will take a really nasty edge and holds it fairly well for a economy steel.S30V does fairly well for me......and oh D2 of course! I haven't really been all that impressed with 154cm yet, but the only knife I have with it is a ManixII. Could just be the blade grind.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ZDP-189
S90V
M390
20CV
CPM 154 @ 60+ RC
D2
M4

There are others as mentioned or that will be.
mrsteel

Post by mrsteel »

ZDP-189 holds a decent edge as long as you aren't cutting things like tape and the such that leave a residue on the blade... Actually that probably goes for most steels!
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

S90V
I used my S90V mule camping and cut up wood for starting a fire, 550 cord, and other materials. I can still fillet a sheet of paper and I haven't sharpened it yet.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Away from long edge holding.

HAIR POPPING EDGE:
VG10
154CM
01 tool steel
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

8C,VG10, 13C, & 14C Sandvik steels, Aus 6 & 8, AEBL, El Max, CPM 154, etc.

3V, Vascowear, 52100, 1080&1084, White & blue ( Hitachi), W1&2, etc.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

dirtpig67 wrote:3V is some amazing stuff and holds an edge longer light years above anything I have ever used. It will be a good day when Spyderco finally ventures into folders with that steel.
Upcoming Tuff will use it.
sal wrote:I'm pleased to say that we nmow have a maker for the "Tuff". The steel is on it's way (CPM-3V), the design is complete, and we're finally in motion.

sal
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
dirtpig67

Post by dirtpig67 »

jabba359 wrote:Upcoming Tuff will use it.
Is there any pics out there of what this will look like?

The main thing I could gather from my searches was that is was going to be big.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

There are no pictures yet as they are still in prototype testing stages.. but I'm hoping that soon a preproduction model will be viewable, or perhaps I will make it out to a knife show where it is being displayed.. Curious about the design - I'm sure Ed has come up with something people will enjoy.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
MENTAL

Post by MENTAL »

Catamount- If you are only referring to Spyderco offerings then there is already good information here. If you are asking about cutlery steel in general there are a couple of things to consider. I would say the acuteness of the edge would make a bit of a difference. More importantly, pay attention to the heat treat. It is my experience that the treatment makes a world of difference in regards to edge retention. I have had 1095 knives that required sharpening/touch-ups after mild use. On the other hand, I have some 1095 knives that need very little retouching. There is one fixed blade in particular that I have been processing hickory with all season long. It has been through each bonfire and lump charcoal prep session. I have not retouched this knife once. It shaves like the day it came out of the box. Different manufacturer - different heat treat. This post was a little lengthy, but maybe you will find some of it useful. I'm sure I'll be corrected, but it's hard to argue with actual hands-on experience. Thanks for your time.
Without Wax
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

I'm a definite fan of CPM steels, M4 and 154, but my all time favorite is 3V with a high flat grind.
WTC #1455
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

I've tested every steel that I can get my hands on, and in my personal experience, S90V and CPM M-4 are in a league completely by themselves. :)

Nothing else even comes close. :(

I haven't had the opportunity to try 9V, 110V or 125V yet, but from their chemical properties, they should equal or even surpass S90V and M-4.

I sure wish Sal would make Mules and Militaries in those three steels. :p
catamount

Post by catamount »

Basically, I would like an alternative to S30V for Golden (and Taiwan) :spyder: s that has similar properties to VG-10:

Is easy to sharpen to a very fine edge
Holds that very fine edge for a good amount of time
Has excellent corrosion resistance

I just got a CTS-XHP Manix 2, and can finally test this steel for myself. Judging by my first impressions, it may be just what I'm looking looking for.
Tom

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

catamount wrote: I just got a CTS-XHP Manix 2
Wow, the shoemaker's children going barefoot??? :eek: :p

I think you will find this satisifes the criteria in the post I partially quoted...let us know.
catamount

Post by catamount »

JNewell wrote:Wow, the shoemaker's children going barefoot??? :eek: :p
Gotta' keep the customers happy ;)
Tom