Steels that hold a hair-popping edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yosemite

Post by yosemite »

Cheygriz wrote:I've tested every steel that I can get my hands on, and in my personal experience, S90V and CPM M-4 are in a league completely by themselves. :)

Nothing else even comes close. :(
Have you tested ZDP-189, and if so, what were the main differences you noticed?
The General

Post by The General »

catamount wrote:Basically, I would like an alternative to S30V for Golden (and Taiwan) :spyder: s that has similar properties to VG-10:

Is easy to sharpen to a very fine edge
Holds that very fine edge for a good amount of time
Has excellent corrosion resistance

I just got a CTS-XHP Manix 2, and can finally test this steel for myself. Judging by my first impressions, it may be just what I'm looking looking for.
I am in TOTAL agreement. I just don't rate S30V all that highly. It microchips in my experience fairly easily (at 15 degree's per side( and it looses a hair popping edge much quicker than VG10. Its not a terrible steel but its not a stunning steel.

I have a horrid feeling this steel is tremendously difficult to heat treat correctly and this would explain why my production knives in S30V fail to impress me but the custom knives in this steel are brilliant. I have been told, S30V requires a very specific method of cooling to get the best from it and using metal plates (heatsinking) rather than a salt bath to cool/quench gives a noticeably worse heat treat result. I doubt large production companies are able to heat treat this steel in large batches to the degree this steel needs for perfection.

S30V holds a great working edge for a good length of time, but once a blade fails to pop hairs, its dulling in my experience and being an OCD man regarding sharpness, its my yard stick.

Its one of the reasons I don't rate 440V steel, it lost a hair popping edge very quickly and then cut and cut and cut forever but to a fairly good if not amazing standard.

One word, carbides. Not always a good thing.

I am VERY keen to try a production knife in CPM S35V as by all accounts in fixes the failings of S30V. Proof will be in the pudding.
My real name is Wayne :D
beardedman

Post by beardedman »

I've had very good luck with my zdp-189 delica when it comes to a "hair popping" edge. Much longer than VG-10 in my experience anyways.
catamount

Post by catamount »

The General wrote:I am VERY keen to try a production knife in CPM S35V as by all accounts in fixes the failings of S30V. Proof will be in the pudding.
The Native 5 will have an S35VN blade, and I am also looking forward to trying it.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
The General

Post by The General »

catamount wrote:The Native 5 will have an S35VN blade, and I am also looking forward to trying it.
Yes, I heard about that mate. I am hoping it will put to bed the niggles I have with S30V.
My real name is Wayne :D