I am mad as **** and I don't want to take it anymore.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

Post by markg »

Politicians always have bigger dreams, you must always speak to their ambition when addressing an issue.

Make known that his activities will have a negative impact on any future campaigns on a statewide or a national level as his activities will be seen negatively by rural folks, hunters, fishermen, and those who value outdoor living.
indie_dave

Post by indie_dave »

Good luck, gentlemen.
P40_Warhawk

Post by P40_Warhawk »

RIOT wrote:what dealer turned you in like that?
I don't want to mention their name because they are acting out of fear and the lack of knowledge. In fact it's his loss and he will continue loosing money.

Additionally, it has already happened to me with three dealers.

They are all misinformed and unfortunately including manufacturers that sell to consumers via the web. It is only the Five Boroughs of NYC that any dealer or manufacturer might want to worry about. FOR THEIR INFORMATION that is Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island.

I have read nothing on the web or anywhere else that states dealers have had problems shipping to NYC. The only time I have heard about a dealer being investigated is when they "accidentally" sold a knife to a minor and a switch blade to a person that legally can't own one via the web or in person. I know of one but will not say their name.

However, the good news is that more dealers are shipping to me than not.

I would love Deacon to comment here because he lives near Albany NY and I bet he has had similar positive and negative experiences.

-Joe
themccubbins

Post by themccubbins »

I just saw a great Ted Talk on how to write effective letters to politicians...I have no idea if his technique works but it's worth a shot:

http://www.ted.com/talks/omar_ahmad_pol ... paper.html

Chris
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Vote! Get the ******** out of office. (hope this isn't in violation)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No problems at all locally, aside from the inconvenience caused by dealers and manufacturers, Spyderco included, :mad: who've decided to write off the entire state. I can understand them not shipping to NYC. Vance has threatened to take the same type of actions against them he took against brick and mortar dealers in NYC, so they'd be taking a serious risk doing so. But Vance's power ends at the city line, ZIP code directories are readily available, and to the best of my knowledge there are no ZIP codes shared by NYC and non-NYC addresses, so IMHO there's no legitimate reason to stop selling to the rest of the state.

Attitudes toward knives have not changed up here. Stores that carried knives six months ago still carry the same knives today. That includes at least some of the ones whose NYC locations Vance screwed over. I could walk into my local WalMart and walk out with a Kershaw AO if I so desired. I seriously doubt that will ever change. Despite having the state capital in our midst, this area is mostly rural agricultural so even most of the more ovine ;) of my state worker colleagues weren't "anti gun" or "anti knife". On the other hand, a fair percentage of folks up here have a negative attitude toward NYC and especially of any situation where it looks like the tail (NYC) is trying to wag the dog.
gull wing wrote:Vote! Get the ******** out of office. (hope this isn't in violation)
Problem with that is, folks outside NYC can't vote in NYC elections.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
P40_Warhawk

Post by P40_Warhawk »

the general wrote:today is not the day to discuss such topics, i have thus removed my comments.

why??
P40_Warhawk

Post by P40_Warhawk »

The Deacon wrote:No problems at all locally, aside from the inconvenience caused by dealers and manufacturers, Spyderco included, who've decided to write off the entire state. I can understand them not shipping to NYC.............
Thanks for commenting Deacon. So via the web you essentially have had the same experiences as me. However, at stores you can get what I can't in lower Westchester County. Interesting :)

-Joe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

P40_Warhawk wrote:Thanks for commenting Deacon. So via the web you essentially have had the same experiences as me. However, at stores you can get what I can't in lower Westchester County. Interesting :)

-Joe
Depends on what you're looking for. Plenty of knives for sale here, but no Spyderco dealers. :( On the other hand, have had no problems with my regular online dealer, just less choice of where to buy if they don't have what I want.

Who did you order from? Know KnifeCenter was about the first to cave, and Rosconey posted the other day that True North wouldn't ship to him.
Paul
P40_Warhawk

Post by P40_Warhawk »

The Deacon wrote:Depends on what you're looking for. Plenty of knives for sale here, but no Spyderco dealers. :( On the other hand, have had no problems with my regular online dealer, just less choice of where to buy if they don't have what I want.

Who did you order from? Know KnifeCenter was about the first to cave, and Rosconey posted the other day that True North wouldn't ship to him.
The Ocelot order was declined after the fact by Knivesplus.com So if someone wants a Ocelot now you know were to find it... ****!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have a friend or relative in another state you trust? You might be able to send it to them as "a gift" ;) and have them forward it to you.
Paul
P40_Warhawk

Post by P40_Warhawk »

The Deacon wrote:Have a friend or relative in another state you trust? You might be able to send it to them as "a gift" ;) and have them forward it to you.
I have done that with one friend three times.. I am wearing out my welcome.

But good thought. :(
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

I live on Long Island (outside of Mr. Vance's jurisdiction) and have also had trouble ordering from several outfits. I've even had to have knives shipped to my brother in Boston and then redirected to me. I can sympathize with company decisions to exclude NYC but not the whole state!

You may or may not recall but I started a thread about this months ago and was quite hysterical. Since then I have taken a stress pill and written several letters such as P40's to:
Mayor Bloomberg, Mr. Vance, and the attorney general. I have yet to receive a response.

Too bad we can't vote in NYC. Does anyone know when Vance is up for reelection? I would be happy to volunteer my time to anyone willing to unseat him.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tanrichguy wrote:I live on Long Island (outside of Mr. Vance's jurisdiction) and have also had trouble ordering from several outfits. I've even had to have knives shipped to my brother in Boston and then redirected to me. I can sympathize with company decisions to exclude NYC but not the whole state!

You may or may not recall but I started a thread about this months ago and was quite hysterical. Since then I have taken a stress pill and written several letters such as P40's to:
Mayor Bloomberg, Mr. Vance, and the attorney general. I have yet to receive a response.

Too bad we can't vote in NYC. Does anyone know when Vance is up for reelection? I would be happy to volunteer my time to anyone willing to unseat him.
No clue, but not even everyone in NYC gets to vote for (or against) Vance, he's New York County District Attorney. His only real jurisdiction is Manhattan, although DA's in the five counties that make up NYC tend to go along with each other's rulings, regardless of how hare-brained they are. But the point is, only folks in Manhattan get to vote for him.
Paul
whkento

Post by whkento »

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Even in Japan, where knives and swords are very carefully regulated and almost nobody carries a knife every day, I can order (or buy at a brick-and-mortar store) just about any kind of knife EXCEPT double-edged blades (recently outlawed). It's sad to see that in the 'land of the free' you can't do that.

I wish you all the best in kicking out the politicians who are restricting your freedoms.

Kento