Stainless Delica 4 gets some grip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

All i can say is WOW :eek: ! It would be awesome to see such a treatment done to other SS knives (the bug series would greatly benefit from added grip).
Jester

Post by Jester »

I'm usually don't like mods, pro or homemade.

With that being said, what you have done is completely, wait for it...

AWESOME!!!

Truly excellent idea and execution.
Jester

Persian, Kris, Mini Persian, EMT Snap-It, SS Delica, Jester BMP, FRN Cricket
Jester

Post by Jester »

P40_Warhawk wrote:I have always stayed away from using most of my SS scaled Spydies because if you just look at the wrong way they scratch and get ugly quick.
IMHO, they do not get ugly. They acquire character. Mine has lots of character.
Jester

Persian, Kris, Mini Persian, EMT Snap-It, SS Delica, Jester BMP, FRN Cricket
P40_Warhawk

Post by P40_Warhawk »

Jester wrote:IMHO, they do not get ugly. They acquire character. Mine has lots of character.
Jester and Spyderco... I apologize for my poor choice of words, character is definitely more appropriate.

-Joe
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Congrats and well done! it looks factory-made!
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

Nice Job Jazz. dang your a knife modding beast!
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
Wali

Post by Wali »

I would buy that knife!
Stay Sharp,Wali
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Wali wrote:I would buy that knife!
+1, I'd pay to have that done to my knife!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Looks great! Maybe I will buy a Byrd or two to practice on before I would attempt such a mod on one of my Spydies.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Pete2s

Post by Pete2s »

If only Spyderco thought the SS knives needed grip! It looks great.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You guys are too kind - thanks for the kind words! :)

To answer a couple questions/comments... my hand isn't steady enough. I slipped in a few places, so I'm glad it's my knife :o I fixed it up mostly.

I just opened a cracker package with damp hands and it felt great - also, it comes out of the pocket easier thanks to the side texture.

I Really like the large jimping. It's different and works well. Easy to do with a cylindrical diamond tip.

How long? I lose track of time when going at it, but I think about 4 or 5 hours.

I highly reccomend this modification. I did it because I wanted to use my SS D4, and now I will - it fixed my issues. It's still gonna scratch up, but yes, it will add character (I still hate the 1st scratch :eek :) . It would look great on the Lava and the Police for sure. A knife like the Police, meant to be used would benefit greatly from the added grip.

For anyone wanting to do such a thing, you could always grab a scrap of stainless steel from somewhere to practice on - how about an old silverware handle? I definately got a feel for it on a scrap first - I was scared of ruining a good knife.

Thanks again for the compliments and for looking at my attempt.

- best wishes, Jazz.
SpranK

Post by SpranK »

Excellent job!
Thanks
SpranK
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

I would love to see that offered as a option on the Police.It looks really good.Form follows function and I remember being worried about the Police that I had slipping in my hand before it got lost/stolen.It is so time consuming it would be too expensive for most people if they could not do it themselves but you truly have a one of a kind knife and one look and everyone would know its YOURS.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Jay_Ev wrote:This treatment would look great on a Lava, in my opinion.
I was thinking the exact same thing! Man, mine wants this! Dunno if I have the skills for it but I may have to give it a go. I know I couldn't maintain the edge (of the scale) that way, though.

Looks SWEET!

Ken

(edit - my initial impression - before reading your post, Jazz, was you'd "peened" the scales. I was like "Wow! How'd he do that?" thanks for the write up!)
玉鋼
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Brilliant job on the extra traction.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
araneae

Post by araneae »

Great work as usual Jazz. I really like the jimping. I don't carry SS knives often because of the weight and slippery surface, but you solved one of those problems with style.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks again. I did some whittling with it today and it honestly felt better - more secure - holding it normal and in a paring grip. I'm pleased with it. I was just thinking how bad the Rescue knives with metal handles could use some grip. AAAHHHH.... now there's my 2 Crickets... :rolleyes:

- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice work. I think this could be done, it is like the Tattoo Dragonfly.

I will note one thing from something I saw in a review. On the FRN Delicas and FRN Enduras, the scale is shaped so that there is a flat spot on the scale where the clip lands. This flat spot will prevent your pants (or whatever else you clip your knife to) from getting eaten up.

I would buy a textured and jimped SS Delica if it came with a nicely ground blade or good steel. An all H1 would be sweet. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Donut wrote:Nice work. I think this could be done, it is like the Tattoo Dragonfly.

I will note one thing from something I saw in a review. On the FRN Delicas and FRN Enduras, the scale is shaped so that there is a flat spot on the scale where the clip lands. This flat spot will prevent your pants (or whatever else you clip your knife to) from getting eaten up.

I would buy a textured and jimped SS Delica if it came with a nicely ground blade or good steel. An all H1 would be sweet. :)
The blade on the SS D4 is hollow ground, and a bit better slicer than the FRN one. I don't know if you can tell, but I left the entire area under the clip flat and smooth for that reason, and for less work on my part. :p

- best wishes, Jazz.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

That is a really nice job. I gotta tell ya, I want to go buy one so I can do just that. Seems like it would be the best of both worlds. Hefty and grippy too.

Nice job.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford