How do you keep your Delica razor sharp?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

decoy5657 wrote:Anybody go big money and get the apex pro thing?
The Edge Pro Apex sharpening system comes in 4 different sets at different prices for $150 to $230. I bought the $230 setup. I was lucky because I was surprised by some unexpected money. It is definately worth it. It comes with 5 different stones and polish tapes that really get a sharp edge. I have mine set up on a 12" square piece of wood so I never have to "set it up" and I can carry it anywhere. Therefore quick touchups are easy. Also for quick touch ups it comes with a 1200 grit ceramic sharpening "steel". Take this with you anywhere to quickly bring an edge back to a very good edge. Within 20 - 30 seconds you can bring a slightly dull edge back to a great edge. Another great thing about the Edge Pro is being able to set your edge bevel at ANY angle you want from about 9 degrees per side through over 25 degrees per side. You can also use it to determine what the angle is on a blade before you start sharpening it. Then you can either just sharpen the knife with the same angle or reprofile it to any angle you want.

I've never used a Sharp Maker but believe it is a great sharpening system because I don't believe Spyderco would market anything of poor quality. Also, I've never heard a bad word about the sharpmaker from anyone who has used it. Plus, the longer someone has used it the more they like it.

I hope this helped with info that you were looking for and keep in mind this is my opinion and I'm not an expert. The above is just my experience. I also did use the DMT aligner system for about 4 years. I really liked it but it has a few drawbacks that the Edge Pro doesn't. Diamond stones are great and there is a company that makes diamond stones adapted to mount in the Edge Pro sharpener.

Jack
ghostrider

How do you keep your Delica razor sharp?

Post by ghostrider »

Simple.

Don't use it. :D :p

Okay, that was both true, and a joke.

On a serious note, I'd recommend the Sharpmaker for the novice. However, that novice must understand that the Sharpmaker is not enough if you don't do your part. Let that knife get dull, and the Sharpmaker is not the best tool to re-profile the blade (trust me, I know). I've spent a day cutting up boxes knowing that I'd have to spend time on setting a new bevel before even thinking about the task for which the Sharpmaker excels at.

While there are most likely people on this board who's skills exceed mine, mine aren't that bad IMHO.

To help other's with just the sort of question you post, I wrote the following.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39764
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
burntrice

Post by burntrice »

I own a sharpmaker and ultrafine stones and love it, its very easy to create a shaving sharp edge.
However.. i've recently put a convex edge on my delica and wow does it slice, i'm very pleased with the results and all it took was some 1000 grit sandpaper and a strop that cost £8
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Welcome to the forum Decoy!

A Spyderco Sharpmaker is an excellent choice to keep any of your knives sharp. I suggest buying the diamond rods at the same time you buy the Sharpmaker. They really speed up the process of sharpening a neglected or damaged edge when compared to the standard kit.

Paper wheels are a completely different animal. If you take time to learn, they are a very quick way to sharpen a knife.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MCM

Post by MCM »

Crock stix and flat oil stones.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
decoy5657

Post by decoy5657 »

I'm going to go for the 230 dollar kit. I won't be happy with the sharpmaker knowing there's something "better" out there. I see the results of the Apex and know they are the best. I have a lot of kitchen knives (as do my friends and family) who I'm sure will appreciate me having this system.

Thanks everyone, for the valuable input!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

decoy5657 wrote:I'm going to go for the 230 dollar kit. I won't be happy with the sharpmaker knowing there's something "better" out there. I see the results of the Apex and know they are the best. I have a lot of kitchen knives (as do my friends and family) who I'm sure will appreciate me having this system.

Thanks everyone, for the valuable input!

Decoy,

I'm sure you will be happy with the Edge Pro sharpening tools. If you haven't already done it yet go to the web site edgeproinc.com and watch the instruction videos. They are the same ones that come on DVD with the kit. That way you'll have a basic idea when you start using the sharpener. Sounds like you will have sufficient knives to learn and get used to the sharpener. Also, don't hesitate to email Ben Dale with any questions you may have. He replies back very quickly. Usually the same day. You can also call him. He lists the time frame to call him during the day. Remember he is in Pacific time zone. It's different dealing with him about his product because he invented, designed, manufactured and uses the Edge Pro as his livelyhood. Most of the time when calling a company about a product you don't go right to the horses' mouth with the first call.

Happy sharpening,
Jack
awestib

Post by awestib »

toomzz wrote:+1 Sharpmaker, I use it for 13 years now and the triangle rods are the finest system to sharpen your Delica and other sharp things.
Since the beginning I sharpen my knives free-hand and I am pretty skilled.
I don't use the base. If you decide to start freehand you don't need two rods of each stone. You can buy the rods separately and in addition you can buy an ultra-fine rod for the finish and diamondsleeves for the coarse work.

The advantage of the Apex Pro is that knife and stones and tightened in a system. With this you can very precise follow the bevel of the knife and keep it straight sharpened. I have seen it already and it is on my wishlist, though it is a bit expensive.

Recently I made myself an leather strop; a strip of thick cowhide glued on a small brett. In combination with polishing paste (kitchen-stuff for your stainless pots and pans) you can finish your blades freaking-sharp.
Especially suited for convex blades like my VG10 Fallknivens.

Cheers,
Tomas
How do you sharpen freehand with the rods?
Thanks!
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

awestib wrote:How do you sharpen freehand with the rods?
Thanks!
If you're talking about the sharpmaker rods, there are slots in the bottom of the plastic base to hold the rods stationary, or you can use the storage slots on the top, where the brown stones and brass rods are stored normally.

Although originally the Sharpmaker was all I used for touchups, now I've been mainly using my homemade strop for touch-ups. Actually, more than a homemade strop, it's just an old thick leather belt that i attached to a peg on the wall, and coated in stropping compound. I didn't expect great results, but honestly, I can get my knives sharper on that old leather belt than on anything else I've tried (assuming they already have a very good edge).

If you search "polishing compound" or "chrome oxide" on amazon, you can find a 1 lb block of green stropping compound for $7 shipped. In my experience, this should be at least a lifetime supply.

PS-Good call on the edge pro decoy...I need something for re-profiling, unfortunately I can't afford an edge pro or I'd be all over one. I've never used one, but I have seen people do touchups on them as well. However, I'd still suggest a good leather strop with some green compound for finishing your edge and very minor touchups. You just can't get that level of polish from a stone IMO.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Mentaculous wrote: PS-Good call on the edge pro decoy...I need something for re-profiling, unfortunately I can't afford an edge pro or I'd be all over one. I've never used one, but I have seen people do touchups on them as well. However, I'd still suggest a good leather strop with some green compound for finishing your edge and very minor touchups. You just can't get that level of polish from a stone IMO.
I use an Edge Pro and it will get an edge very very sharp. But like Mentaculous said a strop will still make a world of difference. I have the strop block from Knives Plus. It is mounted on a block of wood and costs about $20 and works very well. Very good deal considering the prices of strops I've seen.

Jack
jah

Post by jah »

I have been using the Sharpmaker on my Delica for over a decade. Nearly out of bandaides from all the cuts I have (including one this weekend while cutting tie wraps with my Delica) :)

Very straight forward to use, particularly since I have the spydie edge. I have never used the rough rods, always use the fine, the ultrafine. My Delica is a EDC, and generally only have to sharpen it every few months.
Jerry
burntrice

Post by burntrice »

After my convex edge I've since gone back to the sharpmaker because i didnt like touching up the edge on sandpaper each time.

Soo now i have a smooth convex edge with a 15 degree flat 'micro' bevel, stropped to perfection. Its actually pretty awesome :)
Bill Moran Lightweight :spyder: G10 Dragonfly :spyder: Bug :spyder: Sage III :spyder: Delica 4 FFG :spyder: Bob Terzuola :spyder: UKPK Ti :spyder: Brad Southard :spyder: Domino :spyder: Squeak
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

The Mentaculous wrote: PS-Good call on the edge pro decoy...I need something for re-profiling, unfortunately I can't afford an edge pro or I'd be all over one.
Hi,

Just wrap the Sharpmaker rods with sandpaper and reprofile. It's quick and cheap.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Sharpmaker is great and affordable, but I use paper wheels on my Delicas and all other knives. Paper wheels are like manual freehand sharpening, only much faster. It takes some practice to learn the skills and then you are set.
Potroast

Post by Potroast »

I know this is an old thread... but I was curious if you got your tormek?
majornub

Post by majornub »

I got my friends delica to (badly) pass the tp test with just fine stones on the sharpmaker.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

belt sander and a grinder :P....... seriously i use various hand held stones, ceramics , and steels. mine may not be able to shave frog hair, but they be sharp non-the- less.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Sharpmaker, my man! for keeping a sharp knife very very sharp with the least amount of space, effort, cost and clean-up the sharpmaker is essential for any serious sharpeners' kit. For many knife owners it's the only kit needed. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
newtothis

Post by newtothis »

Send it to Spyderco they do a great job
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've never seen a Delica razor. :confused:

If I ever get one I'll try to keep it sharp. :D

Jack