Work in Progress (Pink Military)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
unit

Work in Progress (Pink Military)

Post by unit »

Probably not for everyone, but I wanted to try something different today...

The kids went to the park to play, so I decided to stay home and play. They got home before I finished, but here is where the project is at this point.

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey ken,
that's gonna look awesome.
i'm not a big fan of pink knives, but the milie will look good in any color clothes.
nice job!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

That will be an interesting project! I will look forward to seeing future updates.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
brj

Post by brj »

neat idea and great workmanship so far
if you don't mind me asking, I've noticed that the cutout is equally cut on both sides: wouldn't that impact the functionality of the lock? (you may not disengage the lock, but you'd have the jimping on the liner leaf pressed against your hand)
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
unit

Post by unit »

brj wrote:neat idea and great workmanship so far
if you don't mind me asking, I've noticed that the cutout is equally cut on both sides: wouldn't that impact the functionality of the lock? (you may not disengage the lock, but you'd have the jimping on the liner leaf pressed against your hand)
Thanks,

I never mind questions. I started off with plans to make one scale for the non-lock side and another (identical) scale for testing (I wanted to make a video demonstrating how tough G-10 is by doing some prying, and impact testing). I basically roughed out 2 identical scales and then started finishing one as you see in the photos.

The Military scales are milled out for the partial liners. Because I am doing everything with hand tools, this scale will not be milled out...so the non-lock side will go linerless. This seems like a semi-reasonable idea for how I use my knives (and considering that Spyderco offered the knife this way long ago). I was most probably going to install this scale on the Ti military in effort to lighten it up a bit. The Ti military is so stiff that it should derive all the backbone it needs from the locking slab.

Regardless, I still need to mill out a bit for the blade stop (should be able to do this with a hand drill), and I am going to need to do some creative milling and dremmiling to address the D-shaped pivot stud. This is probably going to be the hard part but I am confident that I can do it...if I can find time. The way my life has been going lately, it may be a LONG time before I return to this project.... :(
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Now that's one manly knife! :D
unit

Post by unit »

Creepo wrote:Now that's one manly knife! :D
It certainly will have a soft side LOL.

As I said it was planned for the Ti, but when I started putting it next to the black blade on the G-10 model...it took on that 1980s hair-band rocker look...I guess I listened to too much Twisted Sister back in the day. At this point I am not sure what I will end up doing, or when I will get back to it. I just thought it would be fun for a laugh or two.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Looking great so far.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Personally, I LOVE IT!! Nice job and can't wait to see the finished product.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
butch

Post by butch »

i have a friend of mine that would love a pink and black millie (she is waithign for me to make her a folder in pink )
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
brj

Post by brj »

unit wrote:I never mind questions. I started off with plans to make one scale for the non-lock side and another (identical) scale for testing (I wanted to make a video demonstrating how tough G-10 is by doing some prying, and impact testing). I basically roughed out 2 identical scales and then started finishing one as you see in the photos.
thanks, now it all makes sense, I thought you were trying to duplicate the G10 slab on the locking side also
unit wrote:This seems like a semi-reasonable idea for how I use my knives (and considering that Spyderco offered the knife this way long ago).
it sure is, I have an older 440V Military with linerless left-side (non-lock side) and the knife exhibits zero flex even with the delrin backspacer removed

good luck with the project, I will look forward to the "end product"
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
HeiHeit

Post by HeiHeit »

I think It would look better with a clean blade (no coating), but that being said, It looks great!
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

That looks great, nice job! Looking forward to pictures of the finished project.
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

Ken,

Thats a beautiful new set of clothes for that military.

Please do me a favor, and wear that during breast cancer awareness month. Looks like it'll end up wonderfully. Please let us know how it finishes, and how you did it. Looks kind of like hard plastic, but G10 at the same time. What might this material be, if i missed it?
Andy
unit

Post by unit »

Nifty_Nives wrote:Ken,

Thats a beautiful new set of clothes for that military.

Please do me a favor, and wear that during breast cancer awareness month. Looks like it'll end up wonderfully. Please let us know how it finishes, and how you did it. Looks kind of like hard plastic, but G10 at the same time. What might this material be, if i missed it?
Thanks. All this talk is great motivation to finish the project...perhaps I will figure out a way to find the time.

It is G-10. I bought a few sheets of the stuff a while back. Pink was purchased on a whim when they told me they were out of another color.

Here is another project I did with pink. Pink under Natural G-10. Sort of looks like raw chicken...I really liked the way it turned out.

Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

bell

What?

Post by bell »

Are you kidding?
MENTAL

Post by MENTAL »

This looks like a great project. I like the pink scales with the black blade. I would suggest black screws and clip, but that would take even more time. I tried to make a blue and white Delica a while back (Yankees) but I was not ready. If I ever get it done right I'll post pics.
Without Wax
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey ken,
that mule definately looke unique!
lookin foreward to updates on you project.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
v8r

Post by v8r »

HeiHeit wrote:I think It would look better with a clean blade (no coating), but that being said, It looks great!
Believe me brother Black and Pink looks good together! I used to have a Martin Firecat Tournament compound bow with a hot pink riser, gloss black limbs, chrome cams, and a 24'' chrome Torque tamer.......It looked awesome...wish I still had it. :D
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
unit

Post by unit »

Thanks guys. I am entertaining another direction for this project, but mental time is easy to come by. It is the actual tool time I need to finish it up.

Thanks for the kind words from most. Like I said, it is not for everyone...there are many that couldn't or wouldn't carry a pink item. I see pink as a nice high vis. color that nine times out of ten causes a reaction OTHER than "OMG look at the BIG knife"...which is a great thing IMO.

I will definitely post updates when I get back to the project. This weekend ought to be good..., but not for this project! There is a BladeSportscut I hope to attend...ought to be cool!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)