Does Spyderco have ANY Tantos in the works?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HotSoup

Does Spyderco have ANY Tantos in the works?

Post by HotSoup »

Just curious.
Someone brought up the Tanto Ladybug idea, and it got be thinking, apart from the Lum Tanto (folder and fixed, both GORGEOUS knives) Spyderco hasn't produced any other models.

Of course, I absolutely understand the consequences of such a blade shape and how its applications are limited, and not completely suited to utility tasks. I personally prefer traditional clip point blades to the sharp up-sweep of 'tantos', but I do appreciate a tanto blade when its done well.

I'd kill to get my hands on either of those Lums, but they are just way out of my price range.

I was wondering if we'd ever see another Tanto Spydie?? :D
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I'd love it if they did the fixed Lum Tanto again, with a nice kydex sheath and G-clip, I'd EDC it.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

FLYBYU44 wrote:I'd love it if they did the fixed Lum Tanto again, with a nice kydex sheath and G-clip, I'd EDC it.
**** yeah that would be sweet. As long as they kept Black Micarta :D The 'change' could be an upgrade in blade steel from Aus-8 to VG-10.

I'm in the process of joining the Canadian Forces (wish me luck!), so theres already the Warrior on my 'to buy' list as a knife I'd carry while deployed. A Spydie Tanto fixy would be a great thing to have as well.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

TANTO FOLDERS ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!

any style tanto folder would be great. I was never able to get a lum tanto (I guess I have had plenty of chances but for those prices theyre going for I grabbed a strider instead lol)
But please spyderco, bring some kind of tanto to the table for us! the other brands are killin it with them! i know theyll sell!!! :spyder: :spyder:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've also been dreaming of a Lum Tanto sprint! Folder or fixed (or both)!
:bug-red-white
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

What really caught my eye was the Tanto folder with the Black blade and Black G-10.
One of Spyderco's coolest knives IMO.

There are plenty of other tantos on the market (I personally own an XL Voyager buy CS, love it) but NONE have a Spyder-hole, and I don't trust any other deployment method more than the Spyder-hole. (Well the Emerson Wave works pretty **** well :D )
tanrichguy

Post by tanrichguy »

IIRC there was a "bring back the Lum tanto folder" or some such thread a while back where Sal posted that they were considering it. I think most here would agree that it is a great blade and would love to see it updated and re-released.

And now for the requisite line:

COME ON SAL! make it happen ;)
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I remember that thread, but at the time, didn't read it. I only 'discovered' the Lum Tantos recently for myself.

I think sometimes Sal must just get so frustrated with us begging for SO MANY knives to be produced. I definitely wouldn't be upset if he came out and just said NO!!!!! lol

I'm hoping for a re-release though :p or at least a new 'Tanto'.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hmm, bought the ti-ATS55 (IIRC) Lum tanto years ago, but sold it about two years ago. I did not like the sharp phillips-screws in the scales. However, I regret selling the knife (...not my first regret selling a Spydie... :( )

Yes, another tanto-folder in ZDP189 (with a fine sharp edge like the stretch) with a similar 'bushido'-etching like the dragonfly Tattoo on the heft would be nice. Preferable not with an american chisel tanto-point but in shobu-zukuri blade-style in Police-3 size. Perhaps a little hamon with spydies in it and a full scandi-grind... :D

<:{{{{{>
Tom
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would love to see Sprint fixed Lum Tanto. All the same just change blade steel to VG10
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MENTAL

Post by MENTAL »

I found a couple of NIB folding Lum Tantos this weekend. Should i have bought 'em. I haven't been looking for a tanto in years, but they do look pretty cool black on black with a Spydie hole and all.
Without Wax
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Not to big on the fixed tanto here, but I know I would love to get a Tanto Folder :) I must admit my favorite knives are Tantos... lol

I would love an all black Spydie Tanto :)
Vic
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I'm thinking, S30V (Vg-10 would be just fine really), 4 inch blade, thicker blade stock, kinda like the Chinook, compression lock (??). Perhaps a Super-Tanto? The handle wouldn't really look right though...

Ti-frame would be nice, but, I consider a tanto-blade an SD knife, and Ti doesn't make the best material for grip...

I think Sal and crew need to embark on a mission to create a tanto folder that outclasses all others :D
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

There is another company making a Lum Tanto at this time. We're working on a larger version and a smaller version of the Lum Chinese folder.

Perhaps when the other company stops making their veresion of the Lum Tanto, we bring out a run of the earlier Spyderco version?

sal

from this thread
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

The 'other' company's version doesn't entice me. Nor does the price...

I guess I'll have to wait!
The General

Post by The General »

HotSoup wrote:The 'other' company's version doesn't entice me. Nor does the price...

I guess I'll have to wait!
100% agree
My real name is Wayne :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I couldn't wait around for everyone else to stop making tantos to get a really great one.

So I finally bought one last week. Love that tip!

I'm almost considering getting the whole blade convex ground. :D

:bug-red-white
v8r

Post by v8r »

I have a Ti Lum tanto that I have owned and used since 98'. I have to admit it is not really the greatest design for utility or general use. Believe me mine is used looking if you know what I mean. If they do decide to do one I hope it is a little more utility oriented than just pretty. I also hope it is a comp lock or back lock.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

v8r wrote:I have a Ti Lum tanto that I have owned and used since 98'. I have to admit it is not really the greatest design for utility or general use. Believe me mine is used looking if you know what I mean. If they do decide to do one I hope it is a little more utility oriented than just pretty. I also hope it is a comp lock or back lock.
I agree about the lock. A tanto is a weapon. I don't think its oriented at all for utility. A back lock or comp lock would be better suited, IMO. I'd still like a Lum though.
sal

Post by sal »

We have a Lum folding Tanto sprint in-the-works.

sal