Duckfoot sharpener

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ssmtbracer

Duckfoot sharpener

Post by ssmtbracer »

Does anyone have any experience with this sharpener. How well does it work?I was thinking of getting one
AJF

Post by AJF »

I'm also interested in this. I'm wondering how the Duckfoot fares as an alternative to the SM diamond rods for reprofiling? The Duck is certainly a lot cheaper---saw it at Amazon recently for ~$20.

Andrew
unit

Post by unit »

I have one and feel that it is a FAR cry from the sharpmaker. I would recommend a lot of other items over the duckfoot. Just my opinion. Perhaps others have had greater success. I just feel that there are far better sharpening devices available for similar money.

Wet/dry media on sharpmaker rods or diamond rods for a few bucks more for example...
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

So no one has one of theses
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ssmtbracer wrote:So no one has one of theses
Probably because they don't work so well. :p :D
unit

Post by unit »

ssmtbracer wrote:So no one has one of theses
As I said, I have one. What would you like to know exactly?
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

I was looking for a sharpener that was less components than the sharpmaker that would still sharpen well. I know it will not be as good as the sharpmaker
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

DMT diafold.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I have a Duckfoot Sharpener and I use it more than my Sharpmaker :) The Sharpmaker is great but I am time-constrined on most ocacsions. So the setting up of the Sharpmaker is not as convenient for me than the Duckfoot.

The trick with the Duckfoot is to use it gently and not to push too hard on it. And this is also the case with the Sharpmaker. With longer use the Duckfoot can really work wonders. I really like to put a keen edge on my blade and it seems the Duckfoot works well for me without any hassles.

When I have time I like to take out the Sharpmaker and really do a good job on my better users.

In summary, I have one and I don't regret it. In fact I use it more than the SM :)
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
death-bringah

Post by death-bringah »

I like it for "field-sharpening"...though not as fancy or shmancy, it is much more durable and simpler for transport than the sharpmaker, and the diamond is quick.

I sharpmaker at home and duckfoot while away.

take care -d.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:DMT diafold.
I would have to echo Chuck here. As far as carry around, easy to use top notch sharpeners DMT has them all beat. At least all that I have seen. I have a good selection of their stuff. Like everything else though hold on to your wallet. The diafold Chuck mentioned has two grits of diamond abrasive on opposite sides. It folds up for your pocket or pack. You can choose which grits you want when you order. I recommend course and fine for carrying around. Can't remember the grit numbers.

Jack
PS I recommend Cutlery Shoppe for shopping DMT. Wide selection and good prices.
unit

Post by unit »

jackknifeh wrote:I would have to echo Chuck here. As far as carry around, easy to use top notch sharpeners DMT has them all beat. At least all that I have seen. I have a good selection of their stuff. Like everything else though hold on to your wallet. The diafold Chuck mentioned has two grits of diamond abrasive on opposite sides. It folds up for your pocket or pack. You can choose which grits you want when you order. I recommend course and fine for carrying around. Can't remember the grit numbers.

Jack
PS I recommend Cutlery Shoppe for shopping DMT. Wide selection and good prices.
That would be 325 and 600 mesh. Sort of off topic though.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)