Sharpmaker has made me a sharp nut

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Sharpmaker has made me a sharp nut

Post by dbcad »

Knowing where I'm removing material (sharpie trick), standing while using the Sharpmaker, slowing down my strokes, and concentrating on keeping the blades vertical have enabled me to get every knife I own scary sharp. Thank you Syderco for the tool.

The old fixed blade in the pic was the latest. With patience was able to get it as sharp as the Delica.

Thank to everyone here for helping me get to this level with the Sharpmaker. I'm still learning much here. Next step is getting some nice bench stones and learning that technique.

Charlie
Attachments
~very sharp.jpg
~very sharp.jpg (88.43 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The sharpmaker indeed, gave me the first taste of a sharp knife which I sharpened myself. For years a sharpened on a carborundum coarse/fine and I thought a hair scraping edge was sharp. :D
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Me too :D It seems now we're in a differnt league, And there are more levels to go..lolol.

That How low thread is a good one. What to aspire to.

Charlie
Charlie

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dbcad wrote:Me too :D It seems now we're in a differnt league, And there are more levels to go..lolol.

That How low thread is a good one. What to aspire to.

Charlie
As they say welcome to the dark side. :D

We will never be satisfied again until we get that edge. I know, I dream of it often. :D
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

The ultra-fine stones will be da bomb for you, then.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

wongKI wrote:The ultra-fine stones will be da bomb for you, then.
meh? Yep, the UF stones did make a noticeable difference in sharpness.
AJF

Post by AJF »

I, too, have really been enjoying my SM. Funny thing, I bought it a few years ago, and never got the hang of it then. Put it away, then dusted it off recently, watched Sal's DVD again, read some very helpful threads over here, and voila'---great results!

I think it helped that during the intervening time I was learning about convex sharpening---it made me much more aware of the need to slow down and concentrate on the feel, the sound, and technique in general.

Let me ask a couple of SM related questions, please. Why are the diamond rods sold in pairs and the UF as a single? Also, what do you all think of the Byrd Duckfoot as an alternative to the diamond stones for reprofiling jobs? It's certainly a lot cheaper.

Thanks,

Andrew
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I also really enjoy the Sharpmaker and the results I achieve.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pinetreebbs

What, No Blades Need Sharpening?

Post by Pinetreebbs »

What, No Blades Need Sharpening? I look forward to sharpening task since I started using the Sharpmaker. I even went through every blade in the kitchen once my wife tried a blade I had sharpened. It does take a little practice.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I hear you Pinetrebbs, haven't gotten to the kitchen knives yet but they're coming one of these weekends. My wife already asks me for one of my knives when she wants one that's really sharp :D

Charlie
Charlie

dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I have had my computer doing a bunch of processor-intensive tasks this weekend, so I've spent much of the past couple of days fine-tuning my kitchen knives and my Urban on the Sharpmaker instead of patrolling the Internets.

My daughter came into the kitchen yesterday and said, "all you ever do anymore is sharpen knives."

Well, yeah. Guilty as charged.
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

AJF wrote:Why are the diamond rods sold in pairs and the UF as a single?
The diamond rods are sold in pairs because they are steel and not ceramic. If you drop a steel rod off of the table, it will clang and maybe dent your floor. If you drop a ceramic rod, it will break. Buying an individual ceramic rod if you break one is a lot easier and cheaper than having to buy two to replace one.
AJF

Post by AJF »

Handwrecker wrote:The diamond rods are sold in pairs because they are steel and not ceramic. If you drop a steel rod off of the table, it will clang and maybe dent your floor. If you drop a ceramic rod, it will break. Buying an individual ceramic rod if you break one is a lot easier and cheaper than having to buy two to replace one.
Thanks, Handwrecker. Makes perfect sense.

Andrew
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

After dropping by the SFO the other day, and trying out the Sharp Maker (and getting a quick lesson from Gale Glesser non the less) I couldn't wait to go back and buy it, so i ordered online (with a busy schedule it's hard for me to go to Golden often). The wait is killing me, and i'm eager to get my hands on it once again. Maybe next time i drop by the SFO, i'll get those ultra fine rods. I guess i'll have to track down some of the instructional threads here, and do some reading...
bell

Familia

Post by bell »

My wife's family, (Mexican) did a lot of cooking. I look in the knife drawer one day and and saw a lot of el cheapo knives - and for sharpening they had the grinder machine :eek: . I ordered a Spyderco kitchen knife and a couple of german knives. I trashed the cheapos and stole the grinder. I sharpened the new knives with the Spyderco and they looked at me like not quite sure what the gringo was doing. After that day I was el gringo quierido and the knives were so sharp they were cutting fingers and slicing tomatos like crazy. They quickly got used to good and sharp knives and I get some super mexican meals. Arriba Spyderco.