Addressing EDC with Restrictions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TBob

Addressing EDC with Restrictions

Post by TBob »

There's another thread here about paying attention to knife restrictions in local jurisdictions. Since one should always strive to obey the law, EDC can be a challenge when faced with a variety of restrictions, especially within a small local radius. While Virginia has no significant restrictions for folding knives, Washington D.C. limits blades to 3" or less. Other places I regularly go limit blades to < 2.5". What's a body to do?

Given the some of the questions in other threads, I though that I'd share how I approached compliance with local knife restrictions. Thankfully, Spyderco offers a range of options that empowers users to carry quality cutting tools under all these circumstances. It has taken me a while, but I have finally chosen and acquired a long-term EDC knife for each circumstance.

For EDC in VA and elsewhere with minimal restrictions, I carry the Stretch ZDP-189 Carbon Fiber. It carries well, fits perfectly in my hand, and has a nice balance to it. The texture of the CF handle makes it easy to pull out of my pocket and provides solid grip. The awesome ZDP-189 blade attains an amazing edge and holds it through a lot of use. The knife opens and closes smoothly and naturally. If I could, I'd EDC it full time. It's by far my favorite folding knife for daily use.

However, D.C. doesn't trust its subjects with firearms or knives with > 3" blades. Neither are the local gendarmes particularly friendly or forgiving. When I have to travel there or other places with similar restrictions, I carry the Terzuola SLIPIT. It's S30v blade holds a great edge and meets these restrictions. Plus as a SLIPIT, it also fulfills the requirement for a non-locking blade necessary in some locations, especially internationally. Yet, it holds open positively when in use. Bob Terzuola's non-locking Ball Joint system is quite clever and works extremely well. It works fine one-handed. It looks great and the CF handle provides an excellent grip.

Some places maintain yet a more restrictive blade limit of < 2.5". I thought that this would be unworkable, but Spyderco again came to the rescue. I settled on the Kevin Wilkins'-designed Leaf Storm for this circumstance. Although I had my reservations when I ordered it, I found that the pictures didn't do it justice. Although the blade is short, the overall aesthetics of the knife proved excellent. The hollow-ground S30v blade cuts like crazy, and the titanium/G-10 combination handle looks and feels great. I know that I shouldn't have been, but I was genuinely surprised at how much I liked the Leaf Storm. I only wish that the G-10 side was black.

The exquisite fit and finish of all these works of art sets the industry standard. Each one delighted me when I held it in my hand and examined it carefully.

This stable of extremely sharp knives provides me a with great cutting tool no matter where I travel. I don't have to compromise on quality or utility to comply with local laws. Plus, the commonality of the quick Spydie hole opening makes it a cinch to move between them without confusion.

For those with more restrictive budgets, the Endura 4 stands as an excellent EDC. I happily carried one for several years and its combination edge still serves well at times. My Delica 4 provided the D.C.-compliant backup. You can't go wrong with either. Spyderco provides a host of other choices to suit almost everyone's tastes.

I hope that this post proves helpful to others with similar issues. Many thanks to Spyderco for their commitment to excellence across their great variety of outstanding knives, and especially to Kristi, my cutting-implement spiritual advisor. :-)
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Good choices, and well presented!

I'm not a big fan of the leaf storm. Too many things just don't fit my style. Most places I travel these days, I have a FGDPUKPK with me. It's plenty of blade. I love everything about it and it fits "most" carry restrictions.

Ken
玉鋼
TBob

Post by TBob »

Thanks!

FGDPUKPK looks like a nice knife. Should cover you nicely.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
LDB

Post by LDB »

I just carry a machete inside my pant leg in a homemade pocket out of sight of the locals. j/k. I don't have any Spyderco knives yet but have one on the list for the jolly fat guy this year, the Assist I and truthfully will likely carry it all the time and not worry about legislative stupidity in areas I may pass through.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I don't like liner/frame locks, or lockbacks. And I'm stuck with sub-3-inch restrictions here in L.A. So until the Sage 3 comes out, I have to make do with just the Urban.