UPDATE - Titanium Military Models with Reeve Integral Locks (R.I.L.)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

UPDATE - Titanium Military Models with Reeve Integral Locks (R.I.L.)

Post by TazKristi »

Spyderco’s Titanium Military Model is out and smoking hot. Spyderco goes a bit further in insuring our knives are long-lasting and durable. Titanium being a soft alloy presents a challenge when making hard, strong locks because it’s soft and eventually wears. Our titanium model knives with R.I.L locking mechanisms will soon feature a new small stainless steel insert attached to the lock’s liner. The fingernail-sized addition is machined, then nested, into the titanium on both ends then held in place by three locating posts and two screws. Stainless steel being harder than titanium extends the lock’s life span by augmenting the lock-tang interface for extended smooth action and longer lock-life.

The new R.I.L. insert will be previewed on the much anticipated Knifeworks Exclusive, the CPM-M4 Military Model with a G-10 front scale and titanium rear scale R.I.L. The new R.I.L. insert will be a rolling change used on future Spyderco Ti-Mil Models in late 2010 and early 2011.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Kind of neat. Any close pics available.

Is this why my order is sort of behind from the SFO?
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Interesting, is it like the insert on lion steel ti frame lock?
Attachments
P1000161.jpg
P1000161.jpg (13.47 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
Markous

Post by Markous »

Sounds like nothing but good news :cool:

Can't wait to see it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
440V, ATS-34, S30V, BG42, S90V, D2 & M4 :D A few of my favorite things
wec12

Post by wec12 »

I agree that titanium is softer than stainless steel, but why I have seen a lot of old user Sebenza's still going strong (well, I don't have any CRK)?
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. :) Perhaps that explains some things. ;)

Light dawns over Marblehead, as we say here in the Bay Colony. :D
TazKristi wrote:Spyderco’s Titanium Military Model is out and smoking hot. Spyderco goes a bit further in insuring our knives are long-lasting and durable. Titanium being a soft alloy presents a challenge when making hard, strong locks because it’s soft and eventually wears. Our titanium model knives with R.I.L locking mechanisms will soon feature a new small stainless steel insert attached to the lock’s liner. The fingernail-sized addition is machined, then nested, into the titanium on both ends then held in place by three locating posts and two screws. Stainless steel being harder than titanium extends the lock’s life span by augmenting the lock-tang interface for extended smooth action and longer lock-life.

The new R.I.L. insert will be previewed on the much anticipated Knifeworks Exclusive, the CPM-M4 Military Model with a G-10 front scale and titanium rear scale R.I.L. The new R.I.L. insert will be a rolling change used on future Spyderco Ti-Mil Models in late 2010 and early 2011.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Kristi,

Second the motion for a close-up of the lock mechanism. I'm curious about the integration mechanics. Also, was the stainless steel alloy chosen with consideration to possible galvanic corrosion at their interface in a salty sweat, near-body temperature environment like an inside pocket? Normally that's not a significant issue between Ti and a good stainless at cooler temperatures, but it depends on the alloy characteristics to which it will be in contact and whether or not the Ti is appropriately coated.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

Nice! I've got a Ti Military on the way, this change is a great excuse to get another one.

How much wear and use would you it would take to cause noticeable play or other issues in a Ti framelock? I'm guessing that I rotate my knives so much that it won't be an issue in my lifetime.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Chris Reeve heat treats his lock bars, I don't believe Spyderco did that with their Ti models to date. I'm sure they will last a long time anyway, if I had one I certainly wouldn't worry about it.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Mine doesn't have one should I worry? :confused:
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

Very nice. Excited to see how it all turns out
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

v8r wrote:Mine doesn't have one should I worry? :confused:
No you shouldn't.

In the finite event an issue comes up, no doubt you will be taken care of.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
Splice

Post by Splice »

wec12 wrote:I agree that titanium is softer than stainless steel, but why I have seen a lot of old user Sebenza's still going strong (well, I don't have any CRK)?
probably because you can send your sebenza in at any time and they'll fix any problem you have.
markg

Post by markg »

Well, I think I will hold off on my Ti Military until these come out.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I have no frame-locking knives. But this seems like a significant advancement in the state of the art. Are there any shops -- custom or production -- that are doing this beside :spyder: ?
markg

Post by markg »

dj moonbat wrote:I have no frame-locking knives. But this seems like a significant advancement in the state of the art. Are there any shops -- custom or production -- that are doing this beside :spyder: ?
I have a Microtech Mini-SOCOM Elite that has this sort of thing.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Major improvement, way to go!
HaroldB

Post by HaroldB »

Awesome!

Just can't wait to field test it when it's finally out.
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

Thats pretty cool to hear you changing the model up like that. I hope that we can get KW knife out soon so those of us on the pre-order list can see this.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
brj

Post by brj »

wow, just when I was whining there were no more upgrades on the Military....
thanks, Kristi
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal