Do You Worry About "Legal" Blade Length??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clockman

Do You Worry About "Legal" Blade Length??

Post by clockman »

I'm from Michigan where blade length is not a problem.

I read posts and threads by members here and on BF about carrying a knife

with the "legal" blade length. If you look presentable and dont do anything

stupid(not smart) to draw attention to yourself does is really matter if you

carry a blade 1/4 to 1/2 longer than is "legal". I think its much more important

to be smart about the way you handle the knife once its out of your pocket

than worry about being "legal".

I usually carry a knife the size of a Millie,bigger sometimes, but I also carry an

se Dfly too.

Do you worry about being "legal" as long as you're smart about what you

do with your knife when its out of your pocket?
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

No, not at all. :)
markg

Post by markg »

Depends...

If traveling and there is a chance I will be pulled over on a traffic stop. I go as small as will be functional for my purposes.

Aside from that, no not really. If they want to hassle you, a 2 inch blade will get you in trouble.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

that's my approach, i keep my nose clean, and don't worry about it at all.
no seedy neighborhoods, no speeding, just good clean fun. ;)
i carry my milie and never had a problem.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

With 3.5" of legal blade in most counties I can carry most while stayin "legal".

That said, I take it extremely serious. I don't want to even have the slim chance of being made an example of. I never get I'm wrecks but believe in seatbelts and ABS brakes.

I like to keep my record as boring and clean as I am :p
blackwell

Post by blackwell »

clockman wrote:I'm from Michigan where blade length is not a problem.

I read posts and threads by members here and on BF about carrying a knife

with the "legal" blade length. If you look presentable and dont do anything

stupid(not smart) to draw attention to yourself does is really matter if you

carry a blade 1/4 to 1/2 longer than is "legal". I think its much more important

to be smart about the way you handle the knife once its out of your pocket

than worry about being "legal".

I usually carry a knife the size of a Millie,bigger sometimes, but I also carry an

se Dfly too.

Do you worry about being "legal" as long as you're smart about what you

do with your knife when its out of your pocket?
I live in NYC, and regardless of the law, i will continue to carry my Delica 3....
:spyder:C81GGY20CP2 Para 2 sprint - EDC
:spyder:C157GTIP Lionspy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I guess the max penalty for carrying an illegal knife in Washingon is a gross misdemeanor under 9A.20:

**** (2) Gross misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a gross misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than one year, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than five thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

http://www.knife-expert.com/wa.txt

Wow I thought it could be a felony. 1 year in prison and/or $5000 ain't bad at all. I know it's a worst case but it could never happen to me.

Id rather carry a screwdriver and box knife :) .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

See i've been mentioning this a lot on different forums, and people tell me a lot of mixed info. Someone here say Ohio has no length law, but i've read that there's at least one city near me who has a 2.5 limit, and then i hear a lot of people say 3 is the limit. I've ALWAYS heard 3 inches was the limit ever since i was old enough to handle a knife so i'm cautious to stay at or under that length especially knowing i may frequent the 2.5 city.

Then again, i've asked other people who have told me it doesn't matter if it's a box knife with 1/2 inch of blade or a machete, if you're caught doing something stupid like driving way over the limit or recklessly or some other crime, you're gonna be in trouble for having a blade at all. Then another dealer the other day told me that if i'm ever caught carrying ANY knife to make absolutely sure that i explain that this is a tool and NEVER say a word about self defense or ever refer to it as a weapon...which i've always felt the same way but it is a good thing to try and remember if you're ever in that situation.

I've got a crazy itch to get a Caly 3.5, and i feel kinda silly stressing over that half inch...i'm just afraid of getting pulled over and patted down and busted for carrying that extra half inch. I wouldn't say i dress like a punk but i don't wear khakis and boat shoes everywhere i go, and i have tattoos and shave my head, which puts a target on me with the local popo even though i'm 100% law abiding (i don't even speed). Also any time i'm driving the Mustang, it's like they put out an APB for me and every cop in town is watching...

To put it short i just feel "more" at risk than i do with a 3 inch blade. I'm almost certain that if you ask the average non knife enthusiast around here what the length limit is they'd tell you 3 inches even if they don't carry...it's pretty common knowledge so i feel like i at least have a margin of ignorance on my side if i ever do get patted down.

It really brings me down too because i know i instinctively look past knives like the Military and Police and other fantastic knives just because of how long the blade is. If i were legal to carry them i'd pay a lot more attention to them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TBob

Post by TBob »

Not in the past, but my awareness has increased recently. I have knives now (or on order in the case of the Bob T.) that are legal in places I'm likely to travel. We don't have issues w/blade length or lock in VA, but places that I go for work do sometimes have silly restrictions. As I become aware of restrictions, I simply pick which of my Spydies complies with them to carry there or buy one that complies. Not a huge deal. Spyderco has been super in producing knives for folks who live in or travel to less-than-free locations, for which I'm greatly appreciative. With their variety, there really isn't a good reason not to comply with local laws. I'm not particularly interested in becoming a criminal, misdemeanor or otherwise.
unit

Post by unit »

I do not worry about it, but I also do not carry knives of length that exceed the law.

I can not speak for all LEOs, but I think the length law is just one of the many tools at their disposal. If you are in the wrong with any knife, you have problems...and if you are doing nothing wrong, there is little reason to initiate a search.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Nifty_Nives

Post by Nifty_Nives »

where i'm from, there is a 3" blade law, unless in the backcountry. My favorites are all around 5". I ignore the law on the fact that i honestly don't ever have to use the big ones, and that i don't draw attention to myself. It's not necessarily considered breaking the law. I always pull out my small gerber or my ladybug when something needs cutting, but i never have really needed to use a big knife like my endura or PS.

But like ive heard many people say. The point of a big EDC is that its ready if you need it.
Andy
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I reluctantly sold or traded my Millies out of concern. I REALLY adore the knife but in all reality it's more than I need on a daily basis and if I were to lose one due to some over zealous officer I would be sick! I am very contentious of what is hanging out of my pocket according to where I am.

I now carry a G10 D'fly which to many may be considered small, but this little baby can function as an EDC all day long. Since I like to use my knives I have been picking up knives with a blade length of just under 3". My others will be used as necessary in the right environment.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

I always comply with blade laws.

I used to be big into modifying Mustangs. When it came time to do something about the cats, everyone recommended that I just get an H pipe and take the cats off. The typical response was, "Oh, don't worry about it. Everyone does it and no one ever gets caught or gets in trouble." The "H" pipe was $100 where as high flow cats were $500. I decided to play it safe and save up for the more expensive but legal option.

A year later I was pulled over by a Sheriff who used the bogus excuse that my "car was too loud." First thing he did after he pulled me over? He crawled under my car and checked for catalytic converters.

From that point on, I've never bought the "Oh, don't worry about it" argument.

I also had a cop measure the blade on my Chinook while I was in the Arch in St. Louis. The blade limit there is 4 inches so I was fine, even though he was not impressed. I don't know what would have happened if it had been over 4. I probably would have lost the knife at the minimum.

I can't think of many situations where an inch longer blade is going to make a big difference. If it is a self defense situation than the handle, grip, and deployment are much greater concerns to me than the blade length. I feel just as comfortable with a 3 inch blade as I do with a 4 inch blade.

Is it annoying not carrying being able to carry a knife over 3.5 inches (the law in Seattle)? Ya, sometimes. It takes some Spydies off my list that would otherwise be on there but it's worth it for the peace of mind it gives me. I don't get nervous around the cops and I'm not afraid to use it in public because I know that it's legal. Also, if I ever did have to use it in some sort of self defense situation I don't want the prosecutor using my choice of carrying an illegal knife as a slam to my character or mindset. I already practice a knife based martial art, I don't need other points against me.
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

Yes I worry about it enough to be a decent human being.I think of a knife as a tool first,weapon second.When I was younger a cop might would mess with me but now Im 40 years old dress like a normal person(no more mohawks) and Im respectful of the law and people and property.If you look for trouble or look like trouble or hang around people that do you may have a problem.In certain areas I go with a small knife and certain areas I go with a larger knife as the situation dictates.Cops are people with common sense usually.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

... count yourselves lucky, I just deleted a rant when I went back through it... :eek: :rolleyes:

If you keep your nose clean and don't attract attention, there should be no reason to worry. You want people to notice you for the good behavior, not for being the raving lunatic waving around a sword... if they even notice and remember you at all.

I'd almost be willing to put money on it, but I'd wager that 95% of the people I deal with outside of work would be hard pressed to pick me out of a lineup of pics.
But I work hard on being the gray-man, just blending into the monotony of their day. Buzz cut, clean shaven, clean clothes and good manners.

While it doesn't give me a free ticket to carry what I want, it does remove the chance on someone having a problem. Up here there is no limit as set forth in the criminal code (C-46, section 3, paragraph 74 IIRC), so I don't have to worry about my knife being 1/4" over.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

blackwell wrote:I live in NYC, and regardless of the law, i will continue to carry my Delica 3....
It's this kind of attitude that gives law abiding knife enthusiasts a bad name.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
smikesmith3

Post by smikesmith3 »

I live in the absolute worst state for carrying anything...Illinois. If I can't protect myself with a gun then I might as well have something. Why should the enemy live without fear of getting caught with a knife and I have to.

I could 100% care less. Especially if the Chicago Police department doesn't know. Here comes the story...I was getting asked numerous times what the legal blade length in Chicago was, so I decided to go straight to the source. I called the Chicago Police directly and got a hold of a detective and 2 other people who didn't express there rank or position.

When asked, all three of them simply stated they were not sure. I asked if it was 4" and they all said that sounds about right??? I was rather blown away as I was under the impression 2.5" was over. So I simply don't care at this point.

I understand it is a tool first and a weapon second. But my life costs more than the fine that I am going to get or the $100 dollar knife I am going to give up.

Mathematically, it makes sense since I carry a knife every single day so thats 365 days a year I have a knife. If I get busted, even if it was 1 time a year, it still wouldn't be that big of a deal in terms of what you are gaining out of it...a weapon in a situation when you need it the most, or a tool that could save a life. Pros out way the cons and your not going to get busted more than 100 times in your life unless you walk around with it open poking people.

Do yourself a favor, carry whatever you want, and don't act stupid with it. If you are responsible you will be fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"I wasn't a steel snob until I met CTS-XHP."
Spyderco Dealer
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Agreed on the court issue. Without sounding sexist, unless you're of the fairer gender defending yourself with a knife is going to draw strange looks. Most people know what a SAK looks like but you don't want a Chinook handed to the judge in a bag or even pics. If it's illegal that is.

Different strokes for different folks. I would think an apologetic mindset would get you far enough from the squad car. Still your placing quote a bit of confidence in eloquence and your demeanor.

It's up to the individual to toss his/her own dice. I don't mind games of odds when I end up winning money. :) .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Honestly i'm more afraid of having my knife taken away than i am getting in trouble with it. Of course i don't want to be fined or anything, but i feel like the chances are better that they'd just confiscate it and send me on my way with a warning, and the officer would have himself a nice new Caly 3.5 or whatever. Of course i'd be happy to walk away without a fine or further trouble, but i'd be super pissed off for losing my knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

While it's true that if you keep your nose clean and don't attract attention from the police then you could pretty much carry anything you like, I still choose to carry an EDC-legal knife when I leave the house. There are plenty of ways that you can be stopped and searched by law enforcement officers without doing anything out of the ordinary (a car stop, anti-terror searches etc.) and the results of being caught with an illegal blade just don't make it worth taking the risk, IMO.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)