Civilian ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dknife

Civilian ?

Post by dknife »

I acquired an older original styled Civilian [Tuffram and Kraton inserts] in "as new" condition. It came in the original pouch with a 2 page letter from Spyderco which comments on Spyderco's philosophy toward deadly offensive weapons and explaining how the Civilian is designed specifically as a defensive weapon, as well as the hows and whys of the Civilians development. Also included was a molded trainer, though not meticulously finished, which would indicate that a number of them were made. My guess is that the trainer was made by the group or agency that purchased the knife. If Spyderco had done it I think that the fish work would have been better, though I could be wrong, as it is functional. I would appreciate any information on this trainer and would also like to know what this package might be worth. Any help would be much appreciated. I have attached some[not too terrific pics].
Thanks,
D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Can't help on price. Sounds like a nice set tho. :) . eBay might give an idea on the live blade.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd say you are correct that the trainer was not made by Spyderco. Can't speak for the source other than to say that, over the years, I've seen photos several third party fixed blade Civilian trainers at varying levels of finish. Won't venture a guess on price, other than to say that edge type (plain or serrated) will have an impact on it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

If your Civilian trainer is white, it is most likely from Edge Molding Co. (no longer in existence) and used to be available from James A. Keating. He also has a training DVD on the Civilian. Very good!!