Spyderco trainer temperance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aj1985

Spyderco trainer temperance

Post by aj1985 »

Hey guys hope all is well

What's the best place to get one of these. The cheaper the better since I'm spending quite a bit on a trip to the US next month. Gonna be needing 1 or 2 of these when I go to the gathering. :)

thanks so much

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ain't cheap, but as a last resort, you can check Country Knives, they appear to still have at least one. Given that they weren't very popular, and have been out of production for at least five years, they might not be the easiest thing to find.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
markg

Post by markg »

Back in the day, folks were closing these out for a song.

My 2 cents on the actual trainer. I have one and rarely use it. The blade is too heavy. If you are training and you are just want a blunt trainer to use, it is OK. But if you are doing any work, let's say MBC stuff (not in a generic sense, but Janich's stuff), the blade is way too heavy and even with protective gear on, it still will give your training partner a long afternoon. Especially hitting the bones of the wrist.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I hope they have two for you.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

I guess I will go another route. Just wanted some training knives to surprise folks with. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhZBDgcUxQ

First time so any advise I'm all ears folks

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
markg

Post by markg »

aj1985 wrote:I guess I will go another route. Just wanted some training knives to surprise folks with. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhZBDgcUxQ

First time so any advise I'm all ears folks

aj
Well watching that video not sure "safety and comfort" are are top priorities where you are going!!! ;)

The waved trainers are nice, but the wave does pose some training risks. On "stabs" it can actually poke pretty good if the blade misses or you stab past the body and it comes into contact.

So other companies have fixed bladed trainers at the moment, you can give them a try.
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Several years ago, I saw a deal on a for-sale section of a forum advertising three NIB Temperances (one SE, one PE, one trainer) for $100. Thought about it, then decided against it. Went to bed, and five minutes later thought, "I should go buy those." Decided to wait and do it the next morning. Of course, when I got up and logged on, they had been purchased a couple of hours earlier. I still kick myself over that, as I later acquired a PE Temperance...for around $100. I often wish I had the trainer, as well.