Thinking the Unthinkable?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prisoner6

Thinking the Unthinkable?

Post by prisoner6 »

I am actually toying with the idea of selling my Caly3.

It's not that I don't appreciate it, it's just that I find for a pocket slicer I like my UKPK more. And I think I would benefit from having something different like a Manix 2 as my "lockable" knife.\

Am I crazy?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

prisoner6 wrote:I am actually toying with the idea of selling my Caly3.

It's not that I don't appreciate it, it's just that I find for a pocket slicer I like my UKPK more. And I think I would benefit from having something different like a Manix 2 as my "lockable" knife.\

Am I crazy?
I'm guessing you'll regret it if you do. Just get a manix 2 carry it for a while, it is a nice knife. Then when you get to miss your caly3 rotate it. :D
THG

Post by THG »

I don't see why that's crazy. It wasn't my favorite knife. It was the smoothest back lock knife I've ever had, though.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
v8r

Post by v8r »

Never saw what the big deal was with the Caly3. Always looked and felt a little dainty to me.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd keep it unless you absolutely have to sell it to fund something that you absolutely can't live without.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I did the same thing. UKPK kicked my Caly 3 out of my collection. Don't fret.

I believe the UKPK is a superior knife.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

Sell it. No need to keep something you won't use.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nothing works for everyone. If you're fine with the UKPK's non-locking design it does have a better choil than the Caly 3. I can understand someone feeling that having both is somewhat redundant. Manix 2 is different enough to be worth a try.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
prisoner6

Post by prisoner6 »

The Deacon wrote:Nothing works for everyone. If you're fine with the UKPK's non-locking design it does have a better choil than the Caly 3. I can understand someone feeling that having both is somewhat redundant. Manix 2 is different enough to be worth a try.
This was kind of my thought process. I'm certainly not knocking the Caly3, it's a great knife. My UKPK handles the same jobs in a lighter package. Then I was thinking my Delica and a Manix 2 could handle any "locked" chores.
Splice

Post by Splice »

If it's important to you to have a consolidated set of knives that you'll use everyday, then I'm sure you can find someone who'll be happier to have it than you are. However as a knife collector I'm starting to get over the fact that I have a ton of knives that I don't really use that often but that are permanent parts of my collection. Sometimes I carry two knives just to use one.

But hey, it's your choice, to each his own
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I think if I had the VG-10 Caly3 and a UKPK then the choice would be easier - they are a very similar knife in terms of usability. However, if the Caly3 was the ZDP CF version then I would choose to carry the Caly3 over the UKPK (local laws permitting). :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

Get the Manix before you sell the Caly, just in case...
markg

Post by markg »

Well you can get a Caly 3.5...
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

I think I'm going to sell my two G10 Caly 3's (PE and SE) which see no use as soon as my Caly 3.5 arrives. I will keep the CF Caly3 which I do use.

I also have a UKPN I never use but intend to keep for now as well, but may trade down to two FRN versions. I prefer a locking knife, but will admit the slipits are really well done. For SE I prefer the Salt series, but may try the UKPN FRN rescue, just because I like orange.

I would really like to see a FRN Caly 3 FFG in VG10, with the UKPN ergos.
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

Not crazy at all. However, if you want a perfect slicer, grab a Chokwe before it's too late (it does have a 3.75" blade though).
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe