Latest Acquisition - Moran FB02OR

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
telemeister

Latest Acquisition - Moran FB02OR

Post by telemeister »

Hi guys,

Ordered the Moran drop point in safety orange today. Hopefully it will be here next week.

I've been wanting a smallish fixed blade for quite some time. It will complement my massive forester.

I've been trying to find a pic of the sheath that comes with it. Can some post a pic for me, pretty please :p ?

Anyone like to share their experiences with the Moran? I've heard some pretty good reports.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I have used the Featherweight Upswept (FB01) version for the past three years as my primary hunting/whitetail deer processing knife. It has worked very well for any cutting that has been required of it. I will be using the black handled brother (FB02) of the knife you have inbound for this year's hunting efforts. I expect good things.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Here's a shot of the orange DP with an older TP that shows the sheath. No extra charge for the dust. ;) Haven't really used either of mine, but they do feel great in the hand. Gave an older DP to a friend who was drooling over it. He loves it and has used it a few times on deer.

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]
and a shot of the G-Clip

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

Excellent, thanks guys. Good to know it is up to the challenge of processing deer. That means there shouldn't be any problems using it on roos.

Thanks for the pics too, I'm waiting with anticipation.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
JLS

Post by JLS »

The Morans are some of my favorites. I finally got one of the orange drop point models for a good price to go along with my other trailing point models. They are a fantastic skinning and game processing knife and are unnoticeable until they are needed.

I need to give the drop point Moran a fair shake; I've avoided it up to this point just because the trailing point Morans always worked so well.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Congratulations on the Moran purchase. That one with the orange/black handle really appeals to me! I guess if I really want one I should get it soon since it is listed as discontinued, but I have so many other knives I also want! :D But it is very good-looking!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

telemeister wrote:Excellent, thanks guys. Good to know it is up to the challenge of processing deer. That means there shouldn't be any problems using it on roos.

Thanks for the pics too, I'm waiting with anticipation.
Should work fine. Whitetail around here average around 220 lbs which, from what I've read, puts them around or a bit over max weight for a roo.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

The Deacon wrote:Should work fine. Whitetail around here average around 220 lbs which, from what I've read, puts them around or a bit over max weight for a roo.
Yeah, I usually go for eastern grey roos which dont' get much bigger than about 150lbs (the bigger reads will get up to 200lbs, but I could count on one hand how many of those I've seen). If the Moran can process a Whitetail, then there'd be no problems with roos or even goats. Not sure about camels though (a big problem in Central Aus)! :)
dbcad

I like it!

Post by dbcad »

I bought one of these last week, aside from looking good it feels really nice in the hand and weighs less than half of my folders. The price was also very attractive. It's really sharp out of the box too :D

I'm going to use it as a food prep knife this weekend and think it will do really well. The Temp2 usually performs that kind of stuff when I'm away from home but I have a feeling the Moran will be a little smoother with the vegetables.

I have an overall positive vibe from this knife and think it'll become a regular user for all sorts of stuff. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]