Why is Gayle Bradley popular?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

jzmtl wrote:S7 is used for jackhammer tip if I recall.
Yes and some hatchet, axes and swords.
...oh you know why!
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Simply put it's one **** of rugged solid folder, with highly a useful blade shape, an amazing grind and great steel to suit. Despite it's small peculiarity's ( theres' a few things some users don't like with the GB, for me it's the twill CF& proud liners) these minor nuisances are quickly redeemed my this knife's excellent all round performance. FWIW the GB has single handedly turned my Mini Manix into something I carry for novelty purposes.

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the great chart.

Yea the style doesn't knock me out but the components and execution I hear are out of this world. Near custom folder in quality for a fraction of the price.

As mentioned finding M4 in a rugged package is difficult (or any package really). For the price if you need a rugged knife it's stupid cheap.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com wrote:I see so many references to this knife and am curious why it costs so much and why it is so popular. Thanks for any ideas.
What they wrote - but it is not at all expensive for what you're getting. There are very few competitive M4 knives, probably none, in fact, that are regular production, and no production knives at all that are heat treated as well as this one. I would say that it is a big value bordering on being a bargain.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not to cross-promote but the new BM Griptilian (gold class I think) features CF and a black coated M4 blade. I believe street price is $250.

It's a different knife tho. Not a heavy frame lock. Apples vs more expensive oranges.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Observation: D2 is listed twice. Are those two different charts compiled together?
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Just geussing, but maybe one of them is Dozier D2? Nozh differentiates the Dozier D2.

About the Bradley. It's my favorite knife and definitely a value :) The liners are as thick as the scales :D The action is silky smooth like my Sage2 yet feels tough enough to take on anything.

$120 for this knife is a steal.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:Not to cross-promote but the new BM Griptilian (gold class I think) features CF and a black coated M4 blade. I believe street price is $250.

It's a different knife tho. Not a heavy frame lock. Apples vs more expensive oranges.
I think the only regular production BM with a CPM-M4 blade is the LFTi? And BM runs their M4 a lot softer than the GB. The various M4 Grips and others (806, 710, etc.) were all limited production. Even my M4 Grips were more expensive than the Gayle Bradley and, frankly, their quality (both workmanship as well as materials) are just not competitive with the Bradley. I agree with the bottom line you gave.

Unfortunately, last I checked, the GB was temporarily out of stock...
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

Where is a link to that selling price please?
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Check Cutlery Shoppe, I think they should get some in soon. Just drop Jeff an e-mail.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I paid $110.40 shipped for mine from fenixoutfitters (currently sold out). Definitely a bargain for such a nice piece of work.
:bug-red-white
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Nice chart - on that basis I'm really looking forward to an S90V UKPK :D ... same toughness but 3x the wear resistance of S30V :D
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

There's a lot I like about the GB. It's probably my favorite Spyderco although the Para 2 is also in the running.
The high hollow grind on the GB makes it an exceptional cutter.
The uncoated M4 blade is unusual for a production knife. Obviously it has good edge holding and I like that it takes a patina.
The liner lock is very thick and engages early and securely on all the samples I've seen.
The twill carbon fiber scales are cool.
It's a heavy knife but the weight imparts a sense of strength.
Unfortunately as far as I know it's been unavailable for quite some time now and I haven't heard an estimate of when more will be made.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Is the Manix 2 anywhere near the quality and ability?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com wrote:Is the Manix 2 anywhere near the quality and ability?
It's a totally different knife. It has a short hollow grind. It doesn't slice well.
On the Manix 2 I like the ergos and the lock but I found the grind didn't work well for food prep or cutting cardboard. It works well for carving wood and plenty of other applications, I'm sure but for me it wasn't practical.
I do have a limited run Manix 2 with a flat grind and that one I like a lot. I sold my regular version Manix 2.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

ABX2011 wrote:It's a totally different knife. It has a short hollow grind. It doesn't slice well.
On the Manix 2 I like the ergos and the lock but I found the grind didn't work well for food prep or cutting cardboard. It works well for carving wood and plenty of other applications, I'm sure but for me it wasn't practical.
I do have a limited run Manix 2 with a flat grind and that one I like a lot. I sold my regular version Manix 2.
Thank you, I had no idea about the difference.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

One is half the price and more tactically ergonomic, the other is well executed and uses better (or more expensive) components. Different purposes.
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

The Gayle Bradley certainly isn't overpriced. I paid MSRP and still feel like I got an okay deal.

The steel is beyond excellent-tough, wear-resistant and not all that hard to sharpen, as compared to say S30V
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:One is half the price and more tactically ergonomic, the other is well executed and uses better (or more expensive) components. Different purposes.
And there's also the possibility that the Manix 2, like the Paramilitary 2, is one of the models Spyderco has chosen to experiment with selling at a lower margin. The Bradley, being a collaboration model, probably would not fall into that group.

Which is not to say the Bradley is not an excellent value for its price. Everything I've read says it's a bargain in its own right. Materials are first class and, while I don't have one, from all I've heard and read it's as tough as nails and its right up there with the Sages in terms of build quality which would put it right up on the top shelf.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

The GB is a great folder for the price. I have seen some go for BNIB for under $200.

Hollow Grind, my favorite, many people do not like it, but IMO is one of the best grinds ever and prefer it above a FFG blade. All my folders are hollow grind at the moment. I think a well done hollow grind production knife has not been around for some time (excluding CRK) and the GB impressed by bringing back this older but still a great grind. Hollow grinds can be thinner at the edge and thinner throughout the bevel. (just look at the pictures here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grind.) Not to mention you get different types of hollow grind normal hollow ground or semi-hollow ground found on the Sebenza. (I dont own a GB yet, but have handled one, if I get the cash I will pull the trigger)

Tolerance is high on the knife, materials used are high quality. These things push up a price!

Originally posted bu Sal Glesser:

More profit is usually associated with higher price. That's normal. Profit is usually a percentage of sales price. To think that a high priced auto should garner the same proft as a low priced auto is not in accord with business. It might be the same percentage, but being more expensive, it will be more profit.

Unless you are a manufacturer, familiar with close tolerance manufacturing of heat treated steel & Titanium parts, you are not likely to be able to see all of the differences between one of Chris' knives and others. For example; CRK keeps 0.0005 tolerance on surface grinding. That's one sixth the thickness of a hair. Do you have the knowledsge and equipment to discover that tolerance?

In the end, it's all about trust. CRK took many years to build and maintain their repuation. Built with consistent focus. Even those trying to make a "cheaper" version must "leave out processes" or "soften their tolerance", or they will cost as much.

Rarely do you pay for the "name". That's a bullshit sales pitch made up by the ignorant claiming to offer the same for less. Money valuation between countries might offer a "deal" for a while until the money value balances, but all in all, you will get what you pay for.

sal

In all fairness I think the GB is still a bargain for the price! I would love to see one using a compression lock or something else then a liner lock (just personal preferences on that one)
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/