UKPK FRN Leaf?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prisoner6

UKPK FRN Leaf?

Post by prisoner6 »

Please forgive me if this is a common question, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Do we know when the FRN UKPK Leaf blades will be available? I prefer that I think to the Drop Point, but am ready to pick one up.

Thanks!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I am pretty sure that there is no date yet for the leaf-blades ... I have one on pre-order too :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
merthyrmafia

What's the difference?

Post by merthyrmafia »

I have a Urban FRN UK legal purchased just last week with a leaf shape blade, can you tell me the difference.

[ATTACH]15162[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Spyderco 002 (3).jpg
Spyderco 002 (3).jpg (89.25 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I think you mean Urban G10 :)

The UKPK FRN leaf-blades are very different:
- handle material of course - FRN not G10
- FRN blade steel is GIN-1 not VG-10
- FRN is US made not Japanese made
- FRN blade length slightly longer than Urban (but still sub 3-inch)
- FRN has a shorter back-spring
- FRN blade is hollow ground not full flat ground
- FRN has a jimped choil - I think the Urban doesn't
- FRN is available in more colours (grey, blue & maroon) and 3 edges (plain, serrated and combo)

Can't think of any more - but they are very different knives :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW Chris, the Urban does have jimping on the choil. Aside from that I'd just add that the FRN UKPK is lighter than the Urban by a few grams and it also costs substantially less ($60 vs $150 MSRP, $38 vs $94 typical US street price) to your list.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks for clarifying that Paul - I'd seen it on the UKPK G10 drop-point and the FRN but I've never held an Urban :)

The FRN UKPK is doing great pocket-duty and has cut up loads of things so far, without any problems - packaging, wrappers, vegetables, a joint of pork and even pruned some plants in the garden without any signs of dulling. The only things I miss from the CPM-S30V leaf-blade is the sharp point (good for piercing plastic) and the flat-ground blade, which I find better for slicing hard foods :)
prisoner6

Post by prisoner6 »

Thank you all for your replies. Was there a reason one blade was released and not the other?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

prisoner6 wrote:Thank you all for your replies. Was there a reason one blade was released and not the other?
Probably just the realities of a small production shop. Might have been easier to fit one blade shape into the schedule than three. Either that or perhaps they did it out of sympathy for the "all variant" Collectors Club members who'd have been receiving 19 of the little buggers at once :eek: if all colors and all edge types of all three blade shapes had been released simultaneously.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I'm holding my breath for the leaf. For some reason, I just like the look a bit better. Purely personal, no rhyme or reason to it.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Yeah, I love leaf-blades and was hoping they'd come out first ... it seems a very long time since they released the drop-points and still no word on the leaf-blades :(
Iris223

Post by Iris223 »

ChrisR wrote:Yeah, I love leaf-blades and was hoping they'd come out first ... it seems a very long time since they released the drop-points and still no word on the leaf-blades :(
I agree, kinda hoped for the leaf blades to come first, and still eagerly awaiting. Though, i'm trying to stop the urge to buy one of each color, and blade style. Needless to say, my girlfriend and my wallet are quite happy they haven't come out yet.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I love leaf blades too, but with the grind lines on these things, I think the Drop Point looks much better. Unfortunately, the grind lines don't look as at home on a leaf blade because of the proportions.

That said, if the BD1 steel version is only leaf, I will be getting one for sure.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

no word yet. :(
but i was told the black bladed manix will be for summer.
taz can you confirm? even web sites say "summer" 2010 model listings. summer is only like a few more weeks. anyone hear anything?