When will we see an update Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JBE

When will we see an update Military?

Post by JBE »

Now that the Para 1 has been refined and we've seen the finished product, the Para 2, is there any idea as to when we will finally see a re-designed Military? Is this someting that is still in the works or has it been put on the back burner for the time being? What improvements are being considered? New lock? New base blade steel? I know there has been threads with discussions of ideas for improvements for quite some time and Sal has even mentioned himself in the past that the Military was due for an overhaul.

Not that there's any thing wrong with the way it is now, but I do think it's time for this "old warrior" to receive a little face-lift.
Jason
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

Personally, I like how the Military is right now. The only thing that I'd like to see is tip up carry. Even then, I'm fine with tip down.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

****, I prefer the larger jimping from a few years ago... it was gentler on pockets. I've now got wear marks on my jeans from the millies and a hole right through my right pocket... never got that with my old millie ('02), and I'd have to check what year my current right handed is.

I finally got my Ti one in yesterday's mail, isn't that a good enough upgrade? :p
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

I think Sal has mentioned a new lock that he has been planning for the new Military. The new lock is called the Stop Lock, there was the patent somewhere but I can't seem to find it now. Just search for "stop lock" on the forums. :)
Lev

Post by Lev »

Personally, I think it should be left as is. One of only a few knives that I've owned that I consider near perfect. Though I do agree about the jimping, but it's not a problem either way.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Same. Aside from the two frame lock versions that have come out, and one impossible to get at the moment, the only thing I would see is a thicker blade.

Other than that, the Military is bad-*** the way it is.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

FIMS wrote:

the only thing I would see is a thicker blade.
Yes.
JBE

Post by JBE »

I'll agree...the Military is very good the way it is...that's why I've carried one for 8 years.... :D

Honestly, what do you feel would be the benefit of a thicker blade? How much thicker?

I would hate to see it wind up with the same atrocious tip shape of the E4 just for the sake of a thicker blade/blade strength.

I would also like to see it avoid the 4-way clip like the Para 2 got....For some reason it just doesn't look "right."

I'm pretty familiar with the Stop Lock...I've seen the patent diagram several times....The Military was supposed to be the first model to feature it...I'm wondering how far it is away from implementation...

Seems like the Millie used to get all the blade steel variations, now it seems that that honor has been bestowed on the M2... :( Is the M2 starting to replace the Military as the "flagship" model and as a testing ground for new steels?
Jason
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

I'd be curious if Spyderco would use a "Spanto" style grind, as seen on the XM-18s by Rick Hinderer. Only thing is that it would change the entire silhouette and would loose the extremely fine tip.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Thicker I would want only if it came in the sabre grind, make it a work horse.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

For the longest time I didn't want a Military. When my friend Dan bought his Orange Millie, he told me how much it grew on him. I got a chance to handle it and was instantly hooked. I too have an Orange Millie now and it's my favorite Spydie.

I'm generally a tip up guy, but the way the Millie is shaped and the way the clip is, I find it to be perfect to carry. I wouldn't want a new clip

I don't want full liners. They are unnecessary and add weight. I don't want a larger lanyard hole. They are seldom used and often unsightly. I don't want a thicker blade. This is a slicer. It's what sets it apart from a big beefy knife like a Strider. I like the jimping, although I've never tried the older style. The pivot bolt is handsome and sturdy. I like that too.

The only thing I'd change is a switch back to standoffs instead of the black spacer. It's more elegant. The Chokwe has beautiful standoffs and it's very cool to see inside the handle like that. It's also lighter. I'd also like to see a sprint run with a Ti locking scale and a Micarta scale.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

quattrokid73 wrote: I'd also like to see a sprint run with a Ti locking scale and a Micarta scale.
Do you mean like the Sebenza with micarta inserts? Or do you mean one with a Ti frame lock and a separate one with micarta scales? The Ti frame lock is already here.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I think he means one scale ti on the locking side and the other scale micarta.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Personally, I love the Military the way it is.

One thing I would like to see is a Ti-frame-lock on one side and a G-10 Scle on the other, a-la Chokwe? Would be nice, and less pricey than a full Ti-Millie, methinks.

OH WAIT.

Sal, hear me out...

Any chance of an FRN Military Lightweight? No Steel liners, just one nested Ti-liner like the current G-10 models?

Is this feasible? The military is already extremely light and fast, but can an Ultralight be made?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Creepo wrote:I think Sal has mentioned a new lock that he has been planning for the new Military. The new lock is called the Stop Lock, there was the patent somewhere but I can't seem to find it now. Just search for "stop lock" on the forums. :)
Patent for Sal's Stop Lock can be seen here. Also has a direct link to the PDF of the patent application (with pictures) here.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

jabba359 wrote:Patent for Sal's Stop Lock can be seen here. Also has a direct link to the PDF of the patent application (with pictures) here.
Hey Thanks alot Jabba! was just gonna ask for a link. That looks like a pretty cool lock, looks complicated :D
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
PureSeventyNine

Post by PureSeventyNine »

I am pretty good at locks, but that one I do not get. In Fig 6, is the backspring coming out of the handle? How will the lock be actuated? I'm sorry if I am missing something.
(((((Edgeucational Student)))))
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
MILITARY
TENACIOUS
HONEYBEE
MANIX 2
ENDURA
DELICA
GUNTING T
ENDURA 3 T

MANIX 2
LADYBUG
CALY JR MBP
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

JBE wrote:I'll agree...the Military is very good the way it is...that's why I've carried one for 8 years.... :D

Honestly, what do you feel would be the benefit of a thicker blade? How much thicker?

I would hate to see it wind up with the same atrocious tip shape of the E4 just for the sake of a thicker blade/blade strength.

I would also like to see it avoid the 4-way clip like the Para 2 got....For some reason it just doesn't look "right."

I'm pretty familiar with the Stop Lock...I've seen the patent diagram several times....The Military was supposed to be the first model to feature it...I'm wondering how far it is away from implementation...

Seems like the Millie used to get all the blade steel variations, now it seems that that honor has been bestowed on the M2... :( Is the M2 starting to replace the Military as the "flagship" model and as a testing ground for new steels?
If I recall correctly they have made an experimental mock lock and it held up really nicely, so it is under development, but only time will tell, or Sal. :D
brj

Post by brj »

quattrokid73 wrote:I don't want full liners. They are unnecessary and add weight. I don't want a larger lanyard hole. They are seldom used and often unsightly. I don't want a thicker blade. This is a slicer. It's what sets it apart from a big beefy knife like a Strider. I like the jimping, although I've never tried the older style. The pivot bolt is handsome and sturdy. I like that too.

The only thing I'd change is a switch back to standoffs instead of the black spacer. It's more elegant. The Chokwe has beautiful standoffs and it's very cool to see inside the handle like that. It's also lighter.
+1 to everything, I could have wrote myself the post above ;)

on the pre-2009 models, where the back spacer is delrin, you could very well remove it and only use the standoffs inside, I've done this and held up well on both G10 and CF handles
Regardless of our native language, we all speak "knife" - Sal
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

HotSoup wrote:Personally, I love the Military the way it is.
+1 ... 'nuff said.

Ookami
________
Herbalaire Vaporizer