Important Clarifications

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Technically it voids the warranty. But, and this is my opinion, I believe it's only because Spyderco does not want to deal with a bunch of people whining about how they broke their knives during disassembly. I've taken my Endura apart a couple of times, and while I have not had a warranty issue with it, there's no way to tell it was opened. I think the warranty is just written like that so Spyderco can have a bit of leeway there. After all, how ridiculous would it be if a customer expects Spyderco to fix their knife because they damaged it during disassembly? And is there a good reason to disassemble the knife? If you have to disassemble it, you either have a problem, or want to mod the knife. For problems, contact warranty. If you want to mod a knife and you can't put it back together.... well I don't think you should mod the knife. :D I believe that if you were to disassemble and put the knife back together, there's no way to tell, and you would not be denied warranty due to this. I believe.

EDIT: Yes it does void your warranty. Your warranty is gone when you open your knife. This has been stated numerous times by Spyderco. Just don't open your knife if you are really worried. Does it make a difference? I'm trying to think of reasons you have to open your knife, but don't need to send it back, but I'm drawing up a blank.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

I think this horse has been beaten to death many times over.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

PMBohol wrote:I think this horse has been beaten to death many times over.
...thereby voiding the warranty on the aforementioned horse... :D :cool:
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:...thereby voiding the warranty on the aforementioned horse... :D :cool:
Great comeback.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

freewheeling wrote:I just don't know. What's the point of this vagueness? Does simple disassembly void the warranty or not? How hard can it be to clarify?

I don't see any reason to buy Spyderco knives if this sort of thing is not clarified. The vagueness seems vaguely, well... underhanded. It's Sal's knife company though. He can do what he wants, within the limits of trade. Love the Southard, though, so I really hope this *is* clarified and and becomes unambiguous.
It's not underhanded, it's how warranties work...

There is the letter of the law and there is what a company does occasionally to "make things right". That doesn't legally bind them to cover every mucked up knife that crosses their path. It doesn't oblige them to work on something that arrives in a zip-lock bag. These are FAR more time consuming (ie expensive) to fix than a knife that has never been stripped, overtorqued, or broken down to dozens of small parts.

I have heard for years and years of Honda replacing transmissions in Accords with 100k miles on them simply because the company "doesn't feel they should have broken." Should a customer call BS when an outstretched hand is offered? I've seen Sal offer to ship back knives from the UK because a customer "didn't like the knife" even though that's not part of the warranty either. I sure wouldn't expect it every time though.

If you want it clearly spelled out read the first post; Kristi is an employee of Spyderco. Don't disassemble a knife unless you are a W2 employee of Spyderco. Don't abuse it or neglect it. Same rules as owning a car, a computer, or a refrigerator with a warranty.

Despite popular belief you shouldn't have to break down a knife once a year to clean it properly. If you end up gunking it up I would still rather send it to Spyderco. The chance they can fix it properly, to spec, is about 10 times better than *most* people.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:...thereby voiding the warranty on the aforementioned horse... :D :cool:
Nonono. As long as the horse has not been taken apart, the warranty is still intact. I'm just not sure a beating is covered by it.

More on topic, if you really need to clean out your knife, soak it in hot, soap water. Rinse it through with cool water, and then just take some sort of dust blower and blow the remaining moisture out. A bit of lube can be applied to the pivot by putting a drop on the blade and letting it run to the pivot. Wipe the blade dry, and you're good to go.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

There are a lot of industries in which warranties work in basically the same fashion: the letter says if you fiddle, you're f*cked, but in real life if your fiddling didn't cause the damage, it's treated as no harm, no foul. Unbelievably, that is actually the most sensible way of handling things. :)
freewheeling

Post by freewheeling »

Have cancelled all of my Spyderco pre-orders. Sorry, but this policy is simply indefensible and if I'd known I'd have never spent anything on Spyderco knives. Surprised that sharpening them doesn't void the warranty. Sheesh.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

freewheeling wrote:Have cancelled all of my Spyderco pre-orders. Sorry, but this policy is simply indefensible and if I'd known I'd have never spent anything on Spyderco knives. Surprised that sharpening them doesn't void the warranty. Sheesh.
Bye, dont let the door hit your butt on your way out.
Nate

Post by Nate »

freewheeling wrote:Does anyone really think my Kershaw warranty should be voided for doing what any human not in diapers would do to solve a problem?
Was going to let this one go and sink back into the depths, but this guy is just too uninformed...

So you've cancelled all your Spyderco orders and will never buy another b/c their warranty policy is sooo crazy and Kershaw's sooo wonderful, eh?

Under: USE & CARE QUESTIONS

Topic: WHAT TOOLS DO I NEED TO TIGHTEN OR ADJUST MY KNIFE?

"Most Kershaw knives can be tightened or adjusted using T6 and T8 Torx® tools and/or a Phillips head screwdriver. Conveniently, all these tools are included in the Kershaw T-Tool, a handy tool that can be clipped to your belt or keychain.

Please note that if you fully disassemble or if you modify your knife, you could void the Kershaw Limited Lifetime Warranty."

LOL!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thank you Apophis. Not everyone is going to like the same knife, or brand of knives. Unfortunately lately when I try to say things like that it comes out less nicely than Chuck said it. I figured out I just need to stay away when I'm tired, stressed or in a bad mood. Not everybody wants to hear the truth nowadays. It seems if you don't tell people what they want to hear you're picking on them, or being a "fan boy", and defending the indefensible! :(

Grrr. Bad Mastiff!

:)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

There are no bad mastiffs Joe, only bad owners. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sweet! That's two extra forum knives!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

There are no bad mastiffs Joe, only bad owners.
Yep. Is true Chuck.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

freewheeling wrote:Have cancelled all of my Spyderco pre-orders. Sorry, but this policy is simply indefensible and if I'd known I'd have never spent anything on Spyderco knives. Surprised that sharpening them doesn't void the warranty. Sheesh.
Yes, this policy that is pretty much industry standard for production knives is absolutely insane and cannot be justified. Rabble rabble rabble!

Please, cancel your preorders over inconsequential BS - more for the rest of us.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

freewheeling wrote:Have cancelled all of my Spyderco pre-orders. Sorry, but this policy is simply indefensible and if I'd known I'd have never spent anything on Spyderco knives.
If one of them was for a BBS blue S90V Military, then I'm impressed. Otherwise, as temper tantrums go, it's even less impressive than breaking a toy you never played with anyway.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!