Most difficult usage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Most difficult usage

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

Since the thread on that Manix test seems to be going forever thought I might get some of you off of it and answer this. It is similar in a way. A knife serves many purposes but generally it is to cut wood or people. What do you do with yours? Is it a project whereby it would have to endure something like being hit with a 2 x 4 or whatever, until it is senseless? Or do you just simple enjoy simpler things such as whittling on a stick, or at most stabbing someone you don't like. In either case the knife holds up well, doesn't it? You don't have to check the blade for looseness or the pivot, etc??? All in humor, or course, but you can answer anyway you like and it won't hurt my feelings.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Actually, I most enjoy my spydies when I blow soap bubbles through the thumbhole. :D
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Now, there is one nobody thought of I bet. Thanks...And no harm to the blade either.
unit

Post by unit »

It depends on the knife.

Some I keep a very keen edge on and prefer not to use these on hard tasks...so I will walk a few feet to get the right tool for the job when these are the only knives I am carrying.

Other knives I carry specifically to address "anything" I need them for. My "anything" (which I believe is the definition you are looking for) is therefore limited to tasks I find sensible for a folding knife (or fixed blade when applicable).

For folders, my hardest uses are decommissioning and sometimes breaking down radial tires, breaking down boxes, push cutting small trees (saplings) taking root on my properties, occasionally performing challenge cuts for the sake of entertainment (I cut a dress shoe in half for no good reason once).

The only prying I do is removing staples from cardboard.

These threads are interesting, but I fear are often invitations for exaggerations of "hard use". I think most people really do not use their knives all that hard, but they still find ways (accidental or otherwise) to dull and damage the cutting edge. It is all good...you do not have to be prying open burning car doors and saving children to dull (or even break) a knife though.

Let us not forget that HUGE percentage of Spydercos that are VASTLY over designed for the uses they will actually see.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Thanks for the sensible reply, Ken.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Actually, I most enjoy my spydies when I blow soap bubbles through the thumbhole. :D
:D I think you should post some pics of that, its a classic idea!
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Never cut another person with one of my knives but I have drawn blood on myself several times. Mine gets used for just about anything and everything, but normally it's nothing that I think would damage it beyond repair. I did stab a cow once if that counts. :eek:
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

The mail! Lol i tend to cut a lot of straws at restaurants and opening stuff i buy for my 4yr old lol or cutting him a sword out of a branch. i cut Para-cord by the ton and light pruning of the orange , grapefruit, and tangerine trees.This leads to tons of fruit being sliced. Oh and of course the shaving of a random patch of hair with the blade. To show buddies why they need a better knife! or sharpening system.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Typical day to day use is cutting food and opening boxes. Though I will use em to strip or cut cables, zip ties, rope, plastic... most of my cutting would require little more than a long enough slipjoint.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Actually, I most enjoy my spydies when I blow soap bubbles through the thumbhole. :D
I lolled at that. Mind if I put it in my signature?
I think it's a candidate for one of those undying quotes. :D
SMI

Post by SMI »

rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com wrote:A knife serves many purposes but generally it is to cut wood or people.
Ha, really? A knife generally is used to cut wood or people? Out of the hundreds of general uses for a knife... these are the two that came up? I can tell you with certainty that for the most part cutting people would probably fall to the last thing you generally do with your knife.... for almost everyone on this board. Unless you are talking about accidentally cutting yourself, then it would probably catapult up to the top five uses for that knife hah.
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

I am enjoying all the interesting replies. Thanks everyone. I bought a camera and thought I would be of the forum but like it so well that I started back.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I have knives for different uses, both FB and folders. :)

Some are hard use while others are for light tasks.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

I better clarify my cow stabbing so I don't have people with posters in my yard tonight. It is done to save the life of a cow that gets out and eats too much alfalfa. That kind of knife usage does ruin a stainless knife quicker then anything I have seen to date.