Who do you recommend for Custom Work on Your Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bilestoad

Who do you recommend for Custom Work on Your Spydercos?

Post by Bilestoad »

I am/was a big fan of Frank Recupero, but I can't find him, and no one has talked to him since around 2004. I fear for the worse.

Does anyone have a recommendation for custom work on Spydercos?

Thanks.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Not being familiar with Frank's work I can't answer your question exactly, but for regrinding blades and adding custom scales to Mules, I would recommend Tom Krein. He's done work for me in both areas and I have been pleased with the results. You can Google his name. Tip: Call him first, then email the details.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

+1 on Tom Krein. Ive had him regrind and reprofile a couple of blades and make me a sheath. Good work.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, from what I've seen of it, Frank Recupro's work on Spydercos was primarily a combination of filework and custom scales as on the Cricket below.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

BladeArt still has another one of his, HERE.

As for suggestions, I'm sure there are others who do such work as well, but the only two I'm familiar with right now are David Yellowhorse and his son Brian. I have knives done by both of them, but what I'm not sure of is whether they take private commissions.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bell

The main man

Post by bell »

str
Bilestoad

Post by Bilestoad »

The Deacon wrote:FWIW, from what I've seen of it, Frank Recupro's work on Spydercos was primarily a combination of filework and custom scales

As for suggestions, I'm sure there are others who do such work as well, but the only two I'm familiar with right now are David Yellowhorse and his son Brian. I have knives done by both of them, but what I'm not sure of is whether they take private commissions.
They do excellent work, but not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for someone to do filework and perhaps some engraving/Scales. Any ideas?
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Deacon, who has done engraving for you? I know you have a couple beautiful pieces. I wouldn't mind getting some scroll work done on a Persian.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Try Hector Castro here on the forum for scale work. I don't know if he does file work but you can ask. He did a set of scales on a Mule for me. Great job too! When life settles down here and DH's job stabilizes, I will have him do more scales for me. I have another mule that needs a set. He also does some leatherwork if you want a sheath.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bilestoad wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for custom work on Spydercos?

Thanks.
Yourself!

Sure, there's definitely a learning curve to doing it yourself, but there are few things more satisfying than having someone admire a knife that you have and then being able to tell them that you did the custom work on your own. I think it's fun and it helps you gain new skills. Hopefully I can make it over to the annual factory clearance sale so I can pick up a bunch of cheap seconds to hone my skills on. That way, if I screw some of them up, it's on a knife that was already messed up anyway!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

The only one who has done any work on any that I have, did so while it was with it's previous owner. But, an example of STR's work can be seen in the pic below. The second and third knives started out as the same knife. #2 is still stock, #3 is one after it was ground into a Wharncliffe-style blade.

16 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
Bilestoad

Post by Bilestoad »

jabba359 wrote:Yourself!

Sure, there's definitely a learning curve to doing it yourself, but there are few things more satisfying than having someone admire a knife that you have and then being able to tell them that you did the custom work on your own. I think it's fun and it helps you gain new skills. Hopefully I can make it over to the annual factory clearance sale so I can pick up a bunch of cheap seconds to hone my skills on. That way, if I screw some of them up, it's on a knife that was already messed up anyway!
That's a bad idea on so many levels :)

I'm all for the DIY approach, but I'm also a big fan of "know your limitations" :)
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

you might consider bushbadger here on the forums for scale work.
he's done some amazing looking scales. check out his album if you get a chance, i know you'll be impressed with his work!
i don't know if he does filework.
making you own scales is very gratifying. i made a set of micarta scales for my tenacious with just some basic hand tools.
i kept the original g10 scales in case i ever wanted to put the knife back into stock condition.
good luck with your pursuit!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
burningpit

Post by burningpit »

Tom Krein and STR are both top notch.
:spyder: Collector Club #092 :spyder: