Paramilitary vs. Paramilitary 2, preferences?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Paramilitary vs. Paramilitary 2, preferences?

Post by carrot »

I know all of the changes made in the "2" are for the better but, having been a longtime fan of the Para all these changes seem to distance it from the design I knew and loved.

I like the short, stout blade of the original, the high-rider tip-down clip, and the G10 handle with the huge butt. But having not handled the Para2, I can't say whether or not I welcome those changes.

So Para and 2 owners, sound off: Do you like the Para2 better? Or are you sticking with its older brother?
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
kiwispyder

Post by kiwispyder »

I really like the handle shape and the smoothed out tang in the closed position.
But the lock ruins the para2 for me.
I'll be sticking to the para1 for now, I hope they improve the lock in the future.
I have gone into detail in another thread.
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

I think the Para 2 is a HUGE improvement over the original Para. The handle fits wonderfully in my hand and the fit and finish on mine is superb.

I know some people have had a couple of issues with the lock, but I think it's too early tell whether or not this is a real issue or if it's simply a difference in personal preference.
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

I have both love both but prefer the para 2
Perry

Post by Perry »

No contest, Para2.
markg

Post by markg »

Right now I prefer the original, and that is simply because I don't have the 2 yet. :)
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I use my Paras quite a bit. They're the knives I go to when we're headin' out to the woods or working around the house / yard/ garden. They're all original models and are likely to stay that way.

I haven't held a Para 2, but based on descriptions and specs, I don't think it improved for me. The blade's longer than I want, I like the 4mm thickness of the original, I carry RH TD by choice, and I've never had a problem with the exposed tang on any of my Paras, so I'll stick with the older version.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

I prefer the Military :cool:
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

The Para 2, hands down.
alexcue

Post by alexcue »

Right now I'd say the Para 1 is still a smoother overall knife for me. The lock just isn't as smooth on the Para 2, and reliable unlock isn't comparable to the Para 1.

I never had a problem with the handle of the Para 1 so ergo's weren't an issue with me. The exposed tang was my only issue, and the Para 2 really is sweet in this department.
dorfinator

Post by dorfinator »

Still waiting on my Para 2 and look forward to tip up carry.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I got a Para 1 as soon as they were out (in 04 I think), I had looked forward to it it seemed for years. It was well worth the wait, thick short blade, suited for lots of work.

I don't have a Para 2, because I'm not sure yet, i love the changes they did. The handle regrind, the "knob" removal, Clip position, etc. I may still get one?
If I didn't have a Para at all I would get the Para 2.

Of course I already did mod's on my Para 1, three four years ago. Funny how that worked out. :D
Remove the handle swell @ butt. Knock off "knob" @ blade. Make it tip up.
Remove the "old" stamped out jimping and add Military type jimping. Cut down pivot pin heads. Convex cutting edge(a slicer).

SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I have both the Spyderco Para-Military and the Spyderco Para-Military2, and I really like both designs. Each has its own beauty.

To me there is no difference in how the locks operate. They feel and work the same. There are no issues with the lock of the Para-Military2, as far as I'm concerned.

For me, the difference lies in the the blade length as well as the streamling of the blade and subtle changes to the handle. I also like the idea of skeletonized nestled liners and the larger lanyard hole. And, having both Sal and Eric's logos on the blade is cool!

The Para-Military2 is a welcomed addition to my "Para-Military" collection.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

We need to get Rob to weigh in...the new Para has a lot of improvements on paper, but I think in the hand I still prefer the original.
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

I like almost all of the new features on the pm2. IMO, there is a noticeable difference in the blade length; as small as it may be, it sure feels like a longer blade. The 4-way clip is really nice, albeit not as robust as the pm1. Ergonomics are incredible although so are they on the pm1. The pm2 is an exceptional folder by any production Company, IMO. :spyder:

However, I don’t like the loss of blade-thickness and the pm1’s action is much more to my liking than the pm2. The pm2 has phenomenal action but the pm1’s action is just superb to about any folder I have ever owned!

My vote goes to the original but I am EDCing a pm2! :spyder:

Edit: On a side note, I just bought one of a handful of the original pm1's that are left at NGK last week so I would never be without an original back-up!

p.s. my vote may swing... ;)
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

I have both... I like the original Paramilitary a LOT more than I used to... (old crust Military Man...) I have been carrying the D-2 Paramilitary for a few weeks... and I am really quite fond of it! and the Paramilitary 2 is next to my seat on the couch... it is my current 'flicking' knife...

I am so very used to opening an closing the Military, that the back lock on the Paramilitary is a bit of a challenge for me one-handed
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
V-1

Post by V-1 »

After owning one of the original designs for years and handling one of the new designs for a few weeks, I prefer the original. So far.
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

Original Para all the way for me, don't like the new one at all.
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

Torn. I do prefer the older blade and handle shapes and I especially like the many variations I can get my hands on. The new release just doesn't thrill me enough to buy one in its current iteration as it lacks the features that drew me into purchasing the original para; features like the black blade, black clip, and serrations. In my opinion it's too shiny given its intended purpose. Don't get me wrong, it's a good looking knife and has some nice improvements; the elimination of the hump and four clip positions are worth the price of admission. Perhaps in time with the release of other variations I will feel inclined to acquire one of the new models, but for now I'll try to pick up a couple more of the Para 1s.