Hi all, my lurking days are over.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryukyu_Beat

Hi all, my lurking days are over.

Post by Ryukyu_Beat »

After a few years of reading posts in this forum, I decided to finally take the leap and register. Just wanted to thank you all for the countless hours of entertainment, discussion/debate, and love for these fine blades/tools.

Jason

Thought I'd share some shots from my collection:

FG G-10 collection

The retired

Found this guy for $99 at a local surplus store a few months ago... please don't hate me, they didn't know what they were sitting on.

My current EDC's

MULE S90V - My first handlewrap job

Blue skies reflecting on the Captain

Nice RIL

My preferred for unexpected instances

Thanks all!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Welcome Aboard :) !

Nice collection, enjoy your time here.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
HistoricalMan

Post by HistoricalMan »

I'm glad you finally decided to join in on the conversation! Welcome.

Oh, and that's a nice little collection you have there. I wish I could find a Yoji for that price!
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

Welcome to the forums and sharing your photos, you really have a nice collection. As you know this is a great community!!
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Welcome to the forum!

Quite a collection you have there.
Ryukyu_Beat

Post by Ryukyu_Beat »

Thanks guys! This forum has always been run super respectably and I love a company that listens to its customers... to me, Sal has been THE model for this.

Hey Canis, I've been a big Modest Mouse fan for 10+ years! And Stone Brewery is right near my house. You have great taste! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Ryukyu_Beat wrote:Thanks guys! This forum has always been run super respectably and I love a company that listens to its customers... to me, Sal has been THE model for this.

Hey Canis, I've been a big Modest Mouse fan for 10+ years! And Stone Brewery is right near my house. You have great taste! :)
Right on man. One of my favorite bands and my favorite brewery, can't go wrong with either :) .

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

That's a great collection! Welcome to the forums!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

welcome
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Welcome to the forum. You already know what a great info and hang out place this is - and Im not talking about me.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Stony

Post by Stony »

Congrats on breaking out of your shell and joining in on the fun :D . Very nice collection you have there as well. Enjoy the forum Jason.
Ryukyu_Beat

Post by Ryukyu_Beat »

npueppke, Tony, Pneumothorax, Stony-- thanks much :spyder:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

:)
fantastic collection you got there!
the folks here sure are friendly.

welcome to the spyderco family! :D
enjoyyy yourself here!
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

Awesome collection! I've been lurking a bit as well (mostly just when I needed an opinion about a knife or material so I did a search). I hope to have a collection as varied as your someday.
Although I love all my blades, all the $50+ ones are in VG-10 so next I'm gonna try to get a little more steel variety.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford a :spyder: Manix 2 in the next few months (I WISH the s30v colored manix's were still around and I could afford them! but the black 154cm one will be cool as well). Does anyone know if there will be any more colored sprint runs for the Manix 2? Or am I just too late to the party :( ..?
Ryukyu_Beat

Post by Ryukyu_Beat »

Thank you for the warm welcomes!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

"All my lurking days are over"....sounds like a good song title...LOL...Welcome to the Forum...enjoy your new addiction!!!......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
nicoledc109

Post by nicoledc109 »

Wow! Fantastic post. Love it ^^
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

RyuKyu_Beat,

Welcome, I'm really new here also. I've never seen "The Captain" before. There is a knife made by Mantis that has a similar blade shape. I've had it on a list of knives to buy for a while now. It has a glass breaker as the pummel and a seat belt cutter. My main interest though was the reverse curve that turns into the standard blade shape. I saw a video of the knife at a Mantis show and it appeared HUGE. Did Spyderco discontinue the Captain? Better question for Sal I guess. I have a knife from another company with a SLIGHT reverse curve like the Captain. Keep a toothy edge on that section of the blade and rope has no hope.

My goal in buying knives for the past 10 years was to have 2 or 3 knives to use and that is all. I don't collect knives even though I do love them as a tool. I also enjoy looking at other's collections. I am now happy with my set of 3. They happen to be Spydercos. That was not intentional which I think is a compliment to the usefulness of Spyderco's knives. It was my choice after using them and many others over time. Michael Walker, Stretch FRN (both with ZDP-189 blade), and the Wing knife (one straight and one serrated blade). I carry the Wing on my tool belt as the very useful knife that if I do abuse it or "drop it in the lake" I can replace it easily (inexpensive). I use the Stretch for a work knife also. The ONLY reason I started looking at better quality knives was because I've never been happy with the edge retention I was getting with the $15 - $20 knives I always bought. I got the Michael Walker, used it a couple of weeks then started looking for a larger knife with ZDP. I've owned an Endura for several years and looked at it w/ZDP but went for the Stretch instead. I like the handle shape better and it's a little smaller. If I got rid of all my knives except one, I'd keep the Stretch without thought. Of course I've not used so many of the Spyderco models. If I did I might discard the Stretch like a first wife. lol I like that saying "I love my wife but oooh, my knife" (or truck, fishing rod, etc.) That's a joke of course. I know no one really feels that way. That theory is reversable for you ladies of course.

Anyway, what is the story on the Captain? That question is for anyone, especially Sal I guess.

Jack
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Welcome to the forum, you already know it's a great place.

nice pics and nice collection, enjoy yourself here!
jwingfie

Post by jwingfie »

Love your collection! I can't wait to have mine grow to at least your size. I must say though, I really like the grey Delica ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]