Sharpmaker needs extra coarse

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnny Boy

Sharpmaker needs extra coarse

Post by Johnny Boy »

This is my only suggestion for the system. I got the diamond and the ultra fine with the system when I purchased it. I enjoy sharpening especially with the sharpmaker. So much that I've issued an open invitation to guys at work to bring in their forgotten blades so I can hook em up. I mean the diamond is OK but, I'd really like a super coarse grit just to really cut. Some of the stuff these guys are bringing in have really been neglected and I enjoy sharpening em no matter what but, it'd be much better if I wasn't making 200 strokes per side on the diamond hone. I'd actually prefer a stone regardless of how fast it wears out, **** I'd buy 10 at once if it had some bite to it.

I really like the sharpener but, man how sweet it would be... What do you guys think?
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I agree. I don't own a Sharpmaker but I got to use one for a week in a passaround I participated in. I found the two included stones work well for finishing work, but if you really got to take some metal off it gets tedious.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

The diamond is actually more aggresive than the brown rod too. Even still it can be alot of work.
alancamby

Post by alancamby »

I think some people wrap the stones with sandpaper.
Then you can choose the grit you want. Never tried this myself.
ikiddp9

Post by ikiddp9 »

Johnny Boy wrote:This is my only suggestion for the system. I got the diamond and the ultra fine with the system when I purchased it. I enjoy sharpening especially with the sharpmaker. So much that I've issued an open invitation to guys at work to bring in their forgotten blades so I can hook em up. I mean the diamond is OK but, I'd really like a super coarse grit just to really cut. Some of the stuff these guys are bringing in have really been neglected and I enjoy sharpening em no matter what but, it'd be much better if I wasn't making 200 strokes per side on the diamond hone. I'd actually prefer a stone regardless of how fast it wears out, **** I'd buy 10 at once if it had some bite to it.

I really like the sharpener but, man how sweet it would be... What do you guys think?
I agree!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Lay an XXC DMT against the rods. That'll save a lot of time.
Donut

Post by Donut »

A long time ago, I got one of those Smith's sharpeners from Walmart that has a guide to keep you at the same angle, it's pretty easy to take a bunch of metal off for a good starting point.

It is one of these, http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=34&cid=21 . I think I paid around $20 for it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Johnny Boy

Post by Johnny Boy »

The sandpaper sounds like an easy modification. I don't have any DMT but, ya now that I think of it you could really use whatever you got.

I'm not looking for solutions though. If I really wanted to I could machine a holder at whatever degree I wanted to hold anything. I'm just making a suggestion that IMHO would make the Sharpmaker pretty much flawless. At any rate I doubt I'd be the only one buying em if they came out.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Interesting thread with good suggestions.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

can't you get those pink rods for the sharpmaker that are more aggressive
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I agree. It took me like hundreds of strokes on my diamond rods to reprofile my Rookie. I have couple other blades that need it, but Im not up to the hassle. Having said that, there needs to be a rod between the diamond and brown stones since it takes forever on the browns to get the diamond marks out.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

I wish Spyderco would make a serrated edge specific sharpener that was set up like a allen key pack.On one side have an extra coarse and a coarse round diamond hones for large and small serrations.On the other side have round ceramic/diamond hones in medium,fine and extra fine.It is hard to carry around a sharpmaker but diamond rods would be perfect for serrated edges and could sharpen plain edges if needed.I don't let my knives get dull enough for extra course stones/diamonds.Takes too long to get them good-Im a touch up guy but things happen.
carrot

Post by carrot »

TrojanDonkey wrote:I wish Spyderco would make a serrated edge specific sharpener that was set up like a allen key pack.On one side have an extra coarse and a coarse round diamond hones for large and small serrations.On the other side have round ceramic/diamond hones in medium,fine and extra fine.It is hard to carry around a sharpmaker but diamond rods would be perfect for serrated edges and could sharpen plain edges if needed.I don't let my knives get dull enough for extra course stones/diamonds.Takes too long to get them good-Im a touch up guy but things happen.
The Pro-File set is pretty much this.
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Diamond rods are not coarse enough for re-profiling, sorry to say as well.

We need stones that are about 200 grit.
kbuzbee

I would love to see a Sharpmaker Premium!

Post by kbuzbee »

All diamond set in ceramic, not metal.

3 micron
6 micron
20 micron
50 micron
75 micron
120 micron

Capable of 10, 20, 30, 40 degree inclusive.

I think the current design could be prettily modified and the results would be killer!

Ken
玉鋼
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

I agree on the coarser stones. Would be nice to have.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Lay an XXC DMT against the rods. That'll save a lot of time.
+1
I would love to see coarser rods, but considering cost of diamond rods, that can be quite expensive. So several alternatives are available and one of the just learn flat coarse stones against flats of the rods and clamp them with large or medium binder clip. You can get them fairly inexpensive and very coarse, even coarse than XX (XX is 120, I saw stones as coarse as 50
http://dmtsharp.com/products/colorcode.htm)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes, a coarser set would be nice. .......but
Get an Edge Pro for your reprofileing jobs, they are fast and easy, they last a VERY long time. Then use the Sharpmaker to maintain edge till you need a reprofile again.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

The Sharpmaker is a nice, simple system with some limitations. Yes, you could ameliorate some of the limitations, but all of a sudden, your system is not so simple. Indeed, it doesn't even fit in its box anymore with all these extra rods.

Reprofile on a DMT stone, or a belt sander, or a concrete block or something. There's just no way that a 6" x .5" triangular rod is the best medium for large-scale wasting of metal.
unit

Post by unit »

kbuzbee wrote:All diamond set in ceramic, not metal.

3 micron
6 micron
20 micron
50 micron
75 micron
120 micron

Capable of 10, 20, 30, 40 degree inclusive.

I think the current design could be prettily modified and the results would be killer!

Ken
This is the coolest idea I have seen posted up in a while. I have no idea what it would cost, or how many units they might sell, but I bet it would be worth doing. Put it all in a nicer storage case with some sort of secure closure...That would be really fantastic!
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.