Feel good, play/open knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Phrenik

Feel good, play/open knife

Post by Phrenik »

Hey guys I wanted to learn/get a feel for something with your expertise/experience. Is there a particular spyderco knife in your collection that may be a safe queen or just an EDC that you love just having in your hand, perhaps flicking it open and closing? Perhaps even just doing it repetitively while watching a tv show or something?. Reason I ask is, I recently purchase a black on black pacific salt [which i absolutely love btw] and I love just sitting, watching a show and flicking it open and close. This is my first and only spyderco atm [im new on the scene and money is a little tight, ive been saving up hoping to score a forum native though if finances allow me], and I know it has the black coating so perhaps a non coated blade with a non frn handle may feel different. So can I get some input on what you feel has the best feel, even the most relaxing if that counts for anything. Also can you let me know if its frn, G10, CF, or Ti? I may influence me a little on purchasing it .

[I know it may be a lot to ask, and I apologize, but for those who own the native forum 2009 purple knife, do you like it? do you believe its worth me saving my paychecks for? how does it feel? and another note if you have a pacific salt, can you do a comparison on the feel against others?]

Thank you all so very much for reading this, and taking the time to post a comment. Have a great day.

Jeff
Splice

Post by Splice »

Sage 1 is like that for me. I never tire of flipping it open, feeling that amazingly smooth gliding action, that tight CRACK as it locks open, the feel of the handle perfectly fitting into my hand, the gliding of the blade back closed, the texture of the carbon fiber... it's a thing of beauty that I relish holding as much as I can.

For non-spydies I really enjoy playing with my Sebenza. There's something special about the way it opens and closes that can't be explained. Kershaw Skyline is a great knife to play with as well. It's so smooth and the flipper is a lot of fun to play with.
niimo

Post by niimo »

It's a tie between the Sage 2 and the Manix 2 (foliage green G-10). Of the two, the Sage 2 feels the most comfortable, but the manix 2 is just so fascinating a knife. They both flick open beautifully.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd say most Spydies are fun to play with. Some of my favorites are the Chokwe (very fast, smooth action), any Schempp design, especially the Persian (fits the hand so nicely). The Sage I (nice carbon fiber texture and fast, smooth action). But if money is tight, the Persistence is pretty nice to play with too. It's a nice, solid little knife with smooth, solid action and makes a nice EDC. For a few bucks more, the FFG Delica is a great EDC, and I really enjoy handling them too.

The Manix 2 is another good choice, the ball lock is definitely fun to play with (carefully), and it's not terribly expensive.
:bug-red-white
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

When I get a new knife It is glued to my hands....you got to get the feel of any new knife, some would say I would have to have that new knife surgically remove from my hand...LOL but that's it just me....but when I find myself doing mundane tasks (Like watching a movie) it's my ladybug that is in my hand...opening and closing, opening and closing...over and over till my wife tells me to cut it out...LOL....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
gmand16

Post by gmand16 »

Haha, I am the same way doc. I play with mine not until I get bored/satisfied (because that never happens) but until the people around me reach their breaking point and get pissed off at the noise haha
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

gmand16 wrote:Haha, I am the same way doc. I play with mine not until I get bored/satisfied (because that never happens) but until the people around me reach their breaking point and get pissed off at the noise haha
Wife says to me all the time...."stop that clicking!"
...oh you know why!
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

Call me names if you will be I don't believe you should be doing anything that would be distracting while opening and closing a knife. Practicing is great, but it should have your full attention. Just my .02.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

I find my Pikal is an irresistible "fiddler". The pivot is adjusted just-so: it feels frictionless as it flies open and the ball-bearing lock snicks home. Throw in wave-opening and some gratuitous edge-in/reverse-grip antics and you're hooked!

Fallkniven PXL and Sebenza also have a satisfying glide-and-lock-up. Similar to closing the bolt on a decent rifle or closing the door on a Rolls-Royce (sadly I don't get to do this very often!)

Kershaw ET is probably the ultimate "play" knife; hard to see what other use it has though ;-)

Enjoy ...responsibly.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I love to play with mine(knife of course) but I don't usually do it with people around.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

GB. I re-lubed mine with CRK grease. It is the smoothest folder I have, at any price point, including some much more expensive folders.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was doing the open/close/repeat with my Caly 3 last night lol
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

I do the same thing with any of my Spydercos.Form follows function and they beg to be opened and shut.I even open/shut my etched Spin (tiny) or Ladybug if I see it lonely on the coffee table.Im the same way with a thumbstud knife.Only old fashioned lockbacks like a Buck 110 are opened only when needed.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

It's like worry beads. ;)

I used to try to use trainers for this because no one (including me) has to worry about some absent-minded goof, but I'm back to fiddling with live blades...
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Whenever I have a new knife, that's the one, if its a fixed blade or a two-handed opener I still play with it, but not so long.
I've found that the most I enjoy playing with my Rock Lobster, the fit and finish is beautiful, even though the blade's a bit scratched from use and G10 dirty. But the action is just like clockwork, the linerlock is smOOOOOOOOOoooooth~ but the detent is also excellent creating a solid feel. The sound of the lock engaging within the G10 handle is music to my ears and with the huge blade providing some eye candy, it's fantastic.
Lol, :D
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

dewildeman wrote:Call me names if you will be I don't believe you should be doing anything that would be distracting while opening and closing a knife. Practicing is great, but it should have your full attention. Just my .02.
To each his own :p and if i end up cutting myself on accident, while mishandling it then its my fault and I am the only one that gets hurt. And I understand your concern, particularly in some situations for example driving or something. But I just want you to know that I am doing this just while watching a TV show and im using the thumb hole to open it up and using the lock back to drop the blade and using my thumb to close. And for most things, the first few times/hours at the least, that it is in my possession, it would have my full attention because I turn into a little kid and marvel at my new purchase. However I am at the point, with some muscle memory, where i can hit the lock back, and know how much force or pressure I need to just get the blade to drop enough so it wont go in or, so it doesn't engage the [dont know what its called, but when its close to closing theres pressure to close?] pressure closing feature thingy [cool word choices eh?]. So just your peace of mind :p thanks for the concern. [there is no sarcasm intended in this statement]

-- Moving foward, It seems like many people really like how the sage feels, is there a particular between how CF and Ti feels? I know its subjective but I don't have any access to test these out myself, plus they are a bit pricey to buy both X.x I am thinking of getting the forum 2009 purple native though. Its something that caught my eye. [including the serrated native, that looks so beastly]
Brisket

Post by Brisket »

For me the ultimate "play with" knife is the Poliwog. The smooth action, ball bearing lock and great looks and ergos of this knife makes it fun to play with. The Poliwog is like a cute little puppy with a wire clip with fangs of VG-10 steel. Just try to resist playing with it. You can't I tell you!
Recent :spyder: Additions: Stretch CF ZDP, Caly 3 Super Blue, Gayle Bradley, PM2 M390, PM2 CTS-XHP, Cat CF, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, MT17, Native 5 S110V
In the Crosshairs: Stretch Super Blue, Manix 2 S90V
jwingfie

Post by jwingfie »

I got my first lockback knife today I have been playing with it non-stop since I opened the box :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alancamby

Post by alancamby »

Have a ladybug on my key chain. Always playing with it.
Drives my GF and parents crazy.
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

Manix 2 for me. This knife flies open (not so fast closing though).

I dont usually watch TV and flip knives at the same time though - wanna keep my fingers :D
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder: