Does SE blade have aesthetics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

I think serrated knives have their purpose, and do what their meant to do. Some look good with serrations some look better in plain edge. But plain edge knives just do more things better. So i will probably never get a serrated blade.
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
dialex

Post by dialex »

FIMS wrote:SE Civilian - Sexy.

SE SS Police- Dead SEXY!
I couldn't have said it better myself! :D
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This just arrived today. I find it quite aesthetically pleasing!

CF Harpy :D
:bug-red-white
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Nice find, gbelleh. This is on my short list of possible first CF models to try (I know, I'm late to the game on this but if I am going to buy a blade with a more "premium" (mostly speaking in terms of price) handle scale material it really needs to speak to me as all of my knives are users), and once I find one at the right price point I will probably end up buying one. This or a GB or something that just happens to be a great deal when I see it.

To get back on topic, I think that SE lends itself aesthetically to certain designs. I prefer the look on almost any hawkbill and most recurve designs (Civi, Matriarch, Ayoob, Cricket, Dodo (torn on the last 2 as I find them beautiful in PE as well, also the only recurve I have had that I think really belongs only in PE is my 2005 forum Dialex/Adventura) and as my PE Manix2 (regular run until the CTS-XHP I have on preorder is out my way) is my primary hand EDC I really like to have a curvy (read: Hawkbill) SE in my LFP to go with it. I wouldn't argue that I prefer a Dragonfly or Scorpius in pictures to necessarily be SE but I have had both in this configuration and they feel like bigger badder blades with the serrations in most of the utility (thinking most of my uses other than food, whittling or opening letters) applications I need them for, and when I look at them, the utilitarian aspect still makes them beautiful to me as I am mostly a form-follows-function kinda guy.

In the end, I prefer to have one full PE in a "common" shape and one full SE in a hawkbill shape as the combination of the two leaves me always covered for EDC tasks (SD is another matter and I am strongly considering a purpose-built or more likely purpose-modded 3rd fullsize blade for this purpose to carry regularly - thinking that for my tactics I would want a PE hawk or a PE wharncliffe or eventually both in rotation or perhaps both at the same time). I am dramatically more likely to prefer a SE for certain outdoor purposes - clearing light brush, cutting briars or vines away from a tangled-in limb while hiking, trimming or pruning in the garden, etc - and have slowly transitioned from a fulltime SE guy to someone who appreciates the smooth controlled cuts of a PE in my slightly more coordinated right hand. This may change over time. I still keep a nearly pristine SE Rescue in the glove box of my Jeep for emergencies, and various PE blades around the house and Jeep for neat slicing cuts and food prep.

Also, every knife I own with a hole in the blade is beautiful to me for one reason or another :D - I have mixed feelings about other makes (though some are every bit as beautiful to me for various reasons as well). Okay, I'm going to shut up before this becomes a novella.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

gbelleh wrote:This just arrived today. I find it quite aesthetically pleasing!

CF Harpy :D
Where can I buy the CF Harpy?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's an older, limited production, model. Check all the buy/sell/trade forums and eBay. I found mine on CPFM.
:bug-red-white
rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com

Post by rkhndjr2000@yahoo.com »

Thank you. I will look.