Delica or Endura?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ccf

Delica or Endura?

Post by ccf »

Which one as an EDC? I hesitated asking this question because the discussion could be rather boring & probably something that's been asked a million times before on this forum in some fashion or another (even if it wasn't intended as the original topic). That said, I'm having trouble deciding & I figured guys who have a lot of experience carrying knives (especially the Delica &/or Endura) could help me solve my dilemma.

First of all, no, I don't want to buy both :) (at least not right now). This will be my first EDC knife. It won't be used for anything in particular, just common everyday stuff. I guess one question I have is the Endura too big for an everyday EDC? Since I've never held one (same for the Delica), I don't know how it feels.

Anybody care to comment on which one they prefer for EDC & why? Also, which blade style do you prefer (saber grind or FFG)? I'd much appreciate any suggestions.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

if you have a small to medium sized hand i would go for the Delica.

if you have a larger sized hand the Endura would fit better.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I would get a Delica first. It makes a great EDC. I would also plan on picking up an Endura in the future. If you use your knife as a knife and not a screwdriver or prybar, there is no reason not to go with one of the FFG models. If you need a more robust blade, the regular saber ground version will be better. The slicing ablility of the FFG is great for things where the whole blade goes through the material like cardboard and food.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

endura. better to have more than not enough. :)
and get ffg
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I say delica because what can an endura do that a delica cant? And its a small enough knife that you can use it freely in front of just about anyone and not have them make faces like :eek: :confused: at you. Also I feel better letting someone else use my delica than my endura just because its easier to handle, and IMO a better size in and out of the pocket. Both knives are great though!!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
yuldeli

Post by yuldeli »

+1 on the Delica, perfect size for EDC. I have not found many tasks that it is not up to. As far as sabre vs FFG is concerned it depends on what you plan to do with the knife. The sabre is more of a heavy duty blade and can stand up to harder tasks, while the FFG slices like a laser.
grubbster

Post by grubbster »

I edc one of the FFG ZDP endura. Nice knife that rides smaller in your pocket than it truly is. I will however be picking up one of the FFG ZDP delicas once they hit the market and it could replace the endura. Either way its FFG ZDP for me!
Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

+1 for the Delica. Fits perfect in the pocket. Mine is Sabre but I wish I had bought FFG...
Black FRN D4 CE
Ladybug Salt SE
SS D'fly PE
Carbon Fiber Caly3 ZDP-189
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I would recommend the Delica.
Red Horn

Post by Red Horn »

Shame on me. I have only a few Spydies in my collection. Gen I Endura and Delica full serrated black blades, Worker with alloy handle and an old yellow Catcherman. I have not used them except CM fishing for about 15 years. I recently bought a FFG Delica after it received more recommendations than any other during my latest EDC search. Almost all my collection is stored in another state. Wow :) It is nice. Got a neat colored handle to lessen the funny looks in use and the blade deploys smooth like butta. Should have a skinny Low-Rider Ti clip for it soon.

Go with the Delica. Slightly under 3" blade is adequate for almost any EDC task.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If there's no law preventing you from carrying the Endura, there's no reason not to IMO. There are other knives i'd rather carry but both are great, can't go wrong with either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ace

Post by ace »

neither. I'd go with the CF caly 3, a better option than both.
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

Other than legal consideration, you should also think about where you will carry it. Endura is thin and long. Thin = it carries well in front pant pocket because you can reach past it to the other stuff in the same pocket no problem. It may be a bit long for back pocket carry depending on your body/pants configuration.

Delica will carry well no matter where. And as others said, it is a great EDC knife. However, if you ever want to cut food with it, you may want the longer blade in the Endura.
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
kawr

Post by kawr »

ace wrote:neither. I'd go with the CF caly 3, a better option than both.
Way to answer the question... idk why people do this.

I too would recommend going with the knife that adheres to your local knife laws. Both are great edcers and both disappear in your pocket so really it comes down to which fits your hands better and what size blades you are allowed to carry. If your state allows 4 inch blades I'd go with the Endura since as the saying goes, a big knife can do what a small knife can do but a small knife cant always do what a big knife can. Something like that haha.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I think a FFG Delica is ideal for an EDC choice.

If you want a slicer that is as big as the Endura, save up for a Para 2. You'll be glad you did. ;)
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

The main reason I carry a Endura instead of a Delica is because I have large hands. I think both blades perform well. I would probably start with a smaller knife and see if it does everything you need it to. Also the 3 inch Delica is more people friendly than the Endura.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Franciscomv

Post by Franciscomv »

I had the same doubt a few years back and bought and Endura, because I always tend to go for larger knives. It wasn't until the Delica 4 came out that I got my first one and realized what a great design it is. Amazing knife, not too big, not too small, just right.

I ended up getting half a dozen different Delica models for my EDC rotation. The new FFG models are very nice, fantastic slicers. Plus the colour variety is a very welcome change from the usual black.

There's something about the Endura 4 that I don't quite like. I use mine from time to time, but prefer other large Spydies when I need a longer blade.
swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

I'm sure the E4 and D4 in FFG are lovely. I only have experience of the sabre ground models. They are both very nice and reasonably priced even here in the UK. I have to say though, I do like a big knife and therefore if you are "allowed" a more generous blade length, I'd go for the Endura.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I always bring my FFG Endura if I'm going somewhere wher I know I'll be cutting food. Otherwise any Delica is wonderful :) The Delica makes a really good carry knife for just about anything.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

Delica sabre grind, perfect all around edc in my opinion. I'm probably in the minority here but I tried one of the FFG's and didn't like it, I prefer the stronger tip of the sabre.